Dave Watson...sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

The back lads all safc connections todd, Watson and whitworth. Beattie was another brilliant player. How we failed to qualify in 74 and 78 is hard to believe. Different type of groups then plus no play offs or seeding iirc
Yes ...and Colin Bell, in midfield, from Cold Hesledon - what a thoroughbred player he was before he got injured. He'd have been the natural successor to Bobby Charlton but for that. How did he escape the North East clubs, especially us - but he is not alone, of course.

Yes ...and Colin Bell, in midfield, from Cold Hesledon - what a thoroughbred player he was before he got injured. He'd have been the natural successor to Bobby Charlton but for that. How did he escape the North East clubs, especially us - but he is not alone, of course.
A superb team really in that game. Whoops stokes has just hit a huge six, sorry

slightly a wasted generation with no world cups appearances
Yet the Scotland team qualified in both 74 and 78, but England with all those class players didn’t.

Scotland had a lot of their greats though in that period

Last edited:
More really sad news about one of our 1973 heroes.
I can only echo what everyone else has posted about this colossus of a player. I can pay no better tribute to him than to say that he was only marginally behind "King" Charlie in my estimation.
I can remember when we signed him from Rotherham (as a centre-forward, I think) in 1970....I heard a report of the signing on a transistor radio while lying in the bath one Sunday night!
Too much information?
What would a player of his ability and versatility cost now?
Let's hope he can continue to have a good quality of life.

More really sad news about one of our 1973 heroes.
I can only echo what everyone else has posted about this colossus of a player. I can pay no better tribute to him than to say that he was only marginally behind "King" Charlie in my estimation.
I can remember when we signed him from Rotherham (as a centre-forward, I think) in 1970....I heard a report of the signing on a transistor radio while lying in the bath one Sunday night!
Too much information?
What would a player of his ability and versatility cost now?
Let's hope he can continue to have a good quality of life.
Were the archers on next?

Fantastic centre half. Kept out of the England team mid seventies by Roy McFarland who was also a fantastic centre half but got a lot of England caps. Very sad news.
Was better than McFarland in my opinion. I remember England v Scotland game and Joe Jordan terrorised McFarland first half. McFarland was subbed off at half-time and replaced by Watson who had Jordan in his back pocket.

Think @vinegar hill used to have it as his avatar/profile pic
Yes mate I had a photo of him leaping making a headed clearance against Arsenal in the semi final at Hillsborough.
It actually encapsulates his magnificence.
I only changed it for a Billy Hughes photo in tribute when Billy died.
He was a great centre half who could play but was a fantastic athlete.
I’m old enough to have played with those old leather balls with the lace when a very young kid just starting to play, they were a nightmare, especially when soaking wet.
They then starting using mould masters, a sort of heavy rubber ball which was smaller and lighter.
Such sad news about Dave Watson I echo the post above let’s hope he can have a good quality of life.
A true Sunderland hero.

Last edited:
Yes mate I had a photo of him leaping making a headed clearance against Arsenal in the semi final at Hillsborough.
It actually encapsulates his magnificence.
I only changed it for a Billy Hughes photo in tribute when Billy died.
He was a great centre half who could play but was a fantastic athlete.
I’m old enough to have played with those old leather balls with the lace when a very young kid just starting to play, they were a nightmare, especially when soaking wet.
They then starting using mould masters, a sort of heavy rubber ball which was smaller and lighter.
Such sad news about Dave Watson I echo the post above let’s hope he can have a good quality of life.
A true Sunderland hero.
Yeah that’s the one, love that photo, any chance you can hoy it up on here, this thread deserves it

Awful news. A great centre half. Probably the best we’ve had in my time as a fan. Best wishes to him and his loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back