Dave Watson...sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post mate

That hang in the air comment got me thinking about that iconic photo of him in the semi final heading the ball clear with the massed ranks behind him on the Kop. One of my favourite Sunderland photos, am sure someone more tech savvy than me will be able to hoy it up.
He was hanging high from the corner in the final when it fell for porterfield to score as well.

Great post mate

That hang in the air comment got me thinking about that iconic photo of him in the semi final heading the ball clear with the massed ranks behind him on the Kop. One of my favourite Sunderland photos, am sure someone more tech savvy than me will be able to hoy it up.
Yes someone get it on here and others!

Sad indeed,now that his wife Penny has announced it we can comment on what he meant to us, at Hughsies funeral he was a little bit confused at times but respondent to anyone talking to him mainly. What a player a collossus is the best way to describe him, one of very few players I remember thinking “is he really ours” I was there that day in 73 at Notts County when he reverted to his original role of centre forward to get the equaliser for us I’ll never forget it. Only Charlie and Dave ever got really into my heart as our lads with their courage ability and leadership. If he or any family member read this board the love and appreciation on it towards him will ease his pain knowing he was adored by thousands of us and always will be.As a lad said earlier “hang in the air”that was him in a nutshell never saw anyone else as good doing that .
Quite agree, and also your sentiments about Penny Watson - and another post expressed similar earlier - about her eloquent statement. Odd to think now that she got a bit of stick in the 70s, long before the advent of WAGs, for being a pushy footballer's wife. It stemmed from the fact that after Dave's emergence as a real star at Sunderland after the Cup success, a book was written - not by Dave, but by Penny! It was called 'My Dear Watson' (geddit?) and was regarded as quite controversial for the little wife, so to speak, to be so outspoken. Utter nonsense, of course.
Her heartfelt words today speak for themselves. The book, by the way, I think can still be found on Amazon.

Quite agree, and also your sentiments about Penny Watson - and another post expressed similar earlier - about her eloquent statement. Odd to think now that she got a bit of stick in the 70s, long before the advent of WAGs, for being a pushy footballer's wife. It stemmed from the fact that after Dave's emergence as a real star at Sunderland after the Cup success, a book was written - not by Dave, but by Penny! It was called 'My Dear Watson' (geddit?) and was regarded as quite controversial for the little wife, so to speak, to be so outspoken. Utter nonsense, of course.
Her heartfelt words today speak for themselves. The book, by the way, I think can still be found on Amazon.
Indeed I once had it, it didn’t go down to well with some of the other wives .

Correct...but balls with laces had disappeared as official match balls years before Dave's league years. I'm guessing but I'd say laces were history in match balls by the mid 60s or maybe early 60s.
Mind you, match balls were still leather in the 70s, though coated to prevent watet-logging.
I am 71 so thinking back to late 50s school kick about etc, I know they had changed but as GOM says even the good quality balls in the early 60s used to become sodden

I am 71 so thinking back to late 50s school kick about etc, I know they had changed but as GOM says even the good quality balls in the early 60s used to become sodden
They did...but by the time Watson was playing his league football, from about 1968-on, the balls were laceless, better quality and, while leather, were coated in waterproofing. Even so, I would not like to have got my head on the end of a 60 yard keeper's punt on a heavy, muddy pitch!

They did...but by the time Watson was playing his league football, from about 1968-on, the balls were laceless, better quality and, while leather, were coated in waterproofing. Even so, I would not like to have got my head on the end of a 60 yard keeper's punt on a heavy, muddy pitch!

I can't help but wonder if a lot of damage was actually done in training, where, in all probability, they were using old or reconditioned balls without the same level of waterproofing as a new match ball.

Unlucky to never play in a World Cup finals tournament missing out 74 and 78, then not in the squad when we qualified in 82

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back