Dave Watson...sad news

Just another thought about Dave Watson. I remember that, throughout his career but especially in his days at Roker, he had that rare ability to appear to "hang" in the air. He had a great spring, anyway, and he was pretty angular with his arms spread wide but he obviously timed his leaps so sublimely that he appeared to have that little bit of extra time before thumping his headers either clear of danger or towards the opposition goal.
It is just dreadful to think that this gift may have contributed to his condition today. I rather hope it is more a result of impact injuries rather than from repetitive heading...but the concern after Jeff Astle's case has to be there.
Whatever the reason, let's celebrate Dave Watson while he is with us...certainly a Sunderland great; a really nice guy and a top England player to boot - first capped while in red and white stripes. A star, simple as that.

Very sad news for a genuine legend at Sunderland and an excellent centre half.

I wonder if in 10 years heading will be no more when you read these sad stories

Think there is less heading the ball in the modern game as the ball is played out from the back a lot more as opposed to the Goalie booting it out of his hands.

Before my time sadly but based on the photo BBC sport are using I assume he was as hard as nails?

BBC News - Dave Watson: Ex-England skipper may have same disease as Jeff Astle had

That he was. But he was also skilful with a great sense of positioning. He and Charlie are easily the best "stopper" type centre halves I've seen play for us. Colin Todd not far behind, but he was more in the Bobby Moore/Franz Beckenbauer style of defender.

Sad news. I enjoyed one of my most memorable days in over 21 years of working as a steward at Wimbledon when I had the pleasure of Dave and his wife in my section on centre court around 2004. A really lovely fella and loved chatting about his time at SAFC and the 73 cup run.

He started as a centre-half and then played centre forward for Rotherham. Alan Brown signed him as a No9 to replace Joe Baker in 1970 and he stayed up front until Brown was sacked in 72. Watson was first moved back to centre half by Billy Elliott, if I remember correctly, during his spell as caretaker boss before Bob Stokoe was appointed to succeed Brown in November. This also coincided with the decision to revert to black shorts after some 12 years or so of a home strip with white shorts.
Stokoe then signed John Hughes (Billy's big brother) to replace Watson up front...only for Hughes to get a bad injury in his first game. Sunderland immediately called in the insurance money on John Hughes and bought Vic Halom and the rest, as they say, is history.

Fine mate, thanks. Check out the 1966 FA Cup and World Cup Final videos...no laces in sight. But I think you are right about the black and white panel ball in Mexico. By the way, the 73 FA Cup Final ball was the same sort of design - but a rather bright orange!
My Dad played against him in the Football league and he was playing Centre half for Rotherham. His view is that he he is the best Centre half he has seen play for Sunderland and easily the strongest man he ever played against

That he was. But he was also skilful with a great sense of positioning. He and Charlie are easily the best "stopper" type centre halves I've seen play for us. Colin Todd not far behind, but he was more in the Bobby Moore/Franz Beckenbauer style of defender.

Spot on assessment. I know Watson was a centre forward at the time but we had him and Todd at the club at the same time. What a pair of centre backs they'd have been......for ANY club.

Sad indeed,now that his wife Penny has announced it we can comment on what he meant to us, at Hughsies funeral he was a little bit confused at times but respondent to anyone talking to him mainly. What a player a collossus is the best way to describe him, one of very few players I remember thinking “is he really ours” I was there that day in 73 at Notts County when he reverted to his original role of centre forward to get the equaliser for us I’ll never forget it. Only Charlie and Dave ever got really into my heart as our lads with their courage ability and leadership. If he or any family member read this board the love and appreciation on it towards him will ease his pain knowing he was adored by thousands of us and always will be.As a lad said earlier “hang in the air”that was him in a nutshell never saw anyone else as good doing that .

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the main stand paddocks fulwell wing, one day, when Dave Watson played v safc for Southampton. The ball came near the wing and Watson turned inside. Someone shouted “it’s about time you got your bloody hair cut watson” to which Watson coolly sidestepped a tackle, then turned and tidied his hair with a smile.

Spot on.

A better assessment than mine.
Sad indeed,now that his wife Penny has announced it we can comment on what he meant to us, at Hughsies funeral he was a little bit confused at times but respondent to anyone talking to him mainly. What a player a collossus is the best way to describe him, one of very few players I remember thinking “is he really ours” I was there that day in 73 at Notts County when he reverted to his original role of centre forward to get the equaliser for us I’ll never forget it. Only Charlie and Dave ever got really into my heart as our lads with their courage ability and leadership. If he or any family member read this board the love and appreciation on it towards him will ease his pain knowing he was adored by thousands of us and always will be.As a lad said earlier “hang in the air”that was him in a nutshell never saw anyone else as good doing that .
Cracking post that.

Correct...but balls with laces had disappeared as official match balls years before Dave's league years. I'm guessing but I'd say laces were history in match balls by the mid 60s or maybe early 60s.
Mind you, match balls were still leather in the 70s, though coated to prevent watet-logging.
School sports departments were full of them up to the mid 1960's we even used play with a laced leather rugby balls. I remember getting hit in the face by one on a wet November morning in the early 1960's when I was at Southmoor. Kids at the time never had to ask what must it be like to be punched in the head by Muhammad Ali. Of course there was no question of it being considered dangerous but sad to say it was.

I am so sorry to hear about Dave Watson he was and still is a big hero of mine who I much admire. I wish him and his family all the very best for the future and times to come.

Great post mate

That hang in the air comment got me thinking about that iconic photo of him in the semi final heading the ball clear with the massed ranks behind him on the Kop. One of my favourite Sunderland photos, am sure someone more tech savvy than me will be able to hoy it up.

Back