Dava McCamm aka Paul Davison of Cheer Up Peter Reid Fame RIP

RIP Mackie. One of the best. The fondest of memories travelling around the country watching the lads during the 70’s. Thoughts with family at this very sad time. Enduring memory of him in his trademark sheepskin coat!
RIP Mackie.
Mackie used to drive the hired minibus to away matches in the late 70's.
We used to go all over the place with Mackie at the helm.
Our favourite stopping off place on the way home was Micklefield in Yorkshire.
The locals didn't take too kindly to us SAFC fans (they were all Leeds fans who were pitmen) calling in to their local,and tapping up their lasses and generally getting pissed and causing mayhem in their village.
One time, one lad challenged Mackie - the lad told him that he did the kung fu - Mackie replies to him that he did boxing and if he fancied coming outside for a couple of rounds :lol: .
We all decided to beat a retreat soon after as the pub was filling up with more local lads, and discretion was a better part of valour:D.
Another tale was when we "borrowed" a garden gnome from a front garden down in Yorkshire somewhere, possibly Wakefield (the memory playing up here - maybe @Sons of The Wear might remember) - the police flagged us down miles away and decided to search the minibus looking for this garden gnome - they never found it - it was in someone's haversack that had his sarnies in.

Happy days back then.

RIP me owld pal.:cry:

Another memory I have is from when we were both 17, in 1975, Paul was always compeditive we were playing for Washington Seconds against Washington First (cricket) in a cup tie. Paul was on a hat trick and he moved the whole field in, I was at square leg and he got me to move right in close, to the point that I could almost touch the batsman, this in the days before you had any real safety equipment, no helmet no shin pads no chest pads no nothing, he then bowled one of the worst balls he ever bowled, a long hop down the leg side, which the batsmen hit from the middle of the bat and I couldn’t get out of the way and was hit in the windpipe falling backwards and the ball rolled off me. The umpires and all of the fielders and batsmen were concerned that I might have been seriously injured, but Paul always reminded me that I dropped the catch!

It was the week after that that there was a bust up and most of the first team left, Paul , myself and a couple of other 17 year olds along with a 19 year old found ourselves running a senior cricket club, all be it with one team in a lower league. At the end of the season we lost the ground and ended up having to hire grounds on a match by match basis or play home games away from home, until we got a place at Harraton Cricket Ground to share with another club towards the end of the season. Without Paul the club would have folded, I went off to uni and Paul kept building the club, he was too good a player for the level the club was playing at back then, so moved on to play for a few other teams, but Washington was always “his club”. I was so pleased when Washington got into the top flight before he died, as that was always a dream of his, it only lasted one season, but the journey the club had been on from the days when we were running a club of kids and a few older players, if you had a car you were always in the team as most of us didn’t, to the NEPL was build on the foundations laid by Paul.

RIP

If he's who I think he is he used to come down the Biddick Inn with The Streaker, @Its Him Again & a few other Penshaw lads. Think I had an afternoon sesh with him and a few others after the game against Reading was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. I'm sure he posted on here too but can't remember his name.

RIP Mackie.
Mackie used to drive the hired minibus to away matches in the late 70's.
We used to go all over the place with Mackie at the helm.
Our favourite stopping off place on the way home was Micklefield in Yorkshire.
The locals didn't take too kindly to us SAFC fans (they were all Leeds fans who were pitmen) calling in to their local,and tapping up their lasses and generally getting pissed and causing mayhem in their village.
One time, one lad challenged Mackie - the lad told him that he did the kung fu - Mackie replies to him that he did boxing and if he fancied coming outside for a couple of rounds :lol: .
We all decided to beat a retreat soon after as the pub was filling up with more local lads, and discretion was a better part of valour:D.
Another tale was when we "borrowed" a garden gnome from a front garden down in Yorkshire somewhere, possibly Wakefield (the memory playing up here - maybe @Sons of The Wear might remember) - the police flagged us down miles away and decided to search the minibus looking for this garden gnome - they never found it - it was in someone's haversack that had his sarnies in.

Happy days back then.

RIP me owld pal.:cry:
Great days. Micklefield legendary. The gnome lives on! I remember it was a transit van when the gnome was liberated.

Used to play in the North East Sports Quiz league with Paul before I moved away from the area. Shocked to hear this.

RIP Paul.

Back