Dava McCamm aka Paul Davison of Cheer Up Peter Reid Fame RIP

My memory may be playing tricks but am I correct in remembering a lift back in a Morris 1300 driven by Paul from one of those Berwick pre season matches ?
I can certainly confirm that our Dad had an Austin Morris 1300 that Paul used to borrow- mostly with my dad’s permission although not always. It was a very stylish mustard colour.

I can certainly confirm that our Dad had an Austin Morris 1300 that Paul used to borrow- mostly with my dad’s permission although not always. It was a very stylish mustard colour.

Thanks for that , the colour confirms it.

Condolences for your your loss , let’s hope you and your family can take solace in how well Paul was thought of.

Thanks for that , the colour confirms it.

Condolences for your your loss , let’s hope you and your family can take solace in how well Paul was thought of.
It is great consolation and it’s been great comfort just talking about him the last few weeks and swapping stories. it’s amazing how many different things he was involved with. And with everyone of those interests he was always 100% committed.

I have been asked by Paul’s family to let people know his funeral will be on Friday 11th November. Any friends or family can contact @super shaun cunnington by DM on here for details of the time and venue.
Never met a better bloke. The look on his face when we went to pick up Alex from the creche was the proudest I ever saw him. Loved Elaine with all his heart. I'm loving all these tributes to a brilliant bloke. He hammered me at golf every single time. Cheeky bugger never got the kit kats in at ministry canteen. His family know how much the fella meant to me. I never met anyone who had a bad word to say about him. When Paul and Alex came to stay in Blackpool everyone said what a great relationship they had. Always msde me laugh when he used to say he'd done a bit of boxing so it was good to read that story about the kung fu lad. RIP Paul.

For those of you who are unable to attend Paul's funeral on Friday - due to the magic of modern-day technology it will be available to stream. I know that a lot of you have moved away from Sunderland now or indeed might be travelling down to Birmingham when the funeral kicks off.

I can't promise you Frankie and Danny providing pre match and post-match analysis though and, as always we will be reliant on the skills of the EFL cameraman. It's a Friday 2pm kick off.

Webcast | Obitus
Username woti8810
Password 207715

I knew Paul for many years. We first met at infants school and hit it off straight away. I was his best man when he married Elaine. We had lost touch over the years but I managed to visit him a few times in the care home. He was one of the best and will be sorely missed, as seen by the fantastic tributes on this thread. RIP Paul - you were one in a million mate.

For those of you who are unable to attend Paul's funeral on Friday - due to the magic of modern-day technology it will be available to stream. I know that a lot of you have moved away from Sunderland now or indeed might be travelling down to Birmingham when the funeral kicks off.

I can't promise you Frankie and Danny providing pre match and post-match analysis though and, as always we will be reliant on the skills of the EFL cameraman. It's a Friday 2pm kick off.

Webcast | Obitus
Username woti8810
Password 207715

Shaun I don't think we've met but I was a big mate of Paul and I've explained to Elaine this morming why I very unfortunately can't attend tomorrow. Could I ask you to pass this story on to as many people as possible on Friday. We were about to play golf - he was way better than me - and there was an elderly gentleman there on his own. Paul asked me if it was ok if he invited him to join us. I of course said no problem. Paul explained he'd only met him a couple of times but was aware that he'd recently lost his wife. Paul just wanted to ensure that the bloke would have a few hours of company. The man was moved and pleased to join us. That was the measure of Paul. Great man.
Thanks. Mick

Shaun I don't think we've met but I was a big mate of Paul and I've explained to Elaine this morming why I very unfortunately can't attend tomorrow. Could I ask you to pass this story on to as many people as possible on Friday. We were about to play golf - he was way better than me - and there was an elderly gentleman there on his own. Paul asked me if it was ok if he invited him to join us. I of course said no problem. Paul explained he'd only met him a couple of times but was aware that he'd recently lost his wife. Paul just wanted to ensure that the bloke would have a few hours of company. The man was moved and pleased to join us. That was the measure of Paul. Great man.
Thanks. Mick
Thanks Mick thats a lovely story. And thanks for sharing it on this board for all his friends and family to see.

Great friend of mine who contributed to ALS under the above name in years gone by, sadly passed away last night. I know there are some lads on here (@Luna17 for one) who were also good friends with Paul, but I don’t have contact numbers for.

Paul suffered a life changing head injury a number of years ago but it never stopped him coming to see the lads, and he’s managed to get to games this season, think Blackpool was his last match.

Will be sadly missed 😓.

Any tales of 70’s away trips with Paul from the lads who know him then will be gladly welcomed.

RIP, Paul.

Another memory I have is from when we were both 17, in 1975, Paul was always compeditive we were playing for Washington Seconds against Washington First (cricket) in a cup tie. Paul was on a hat trick and he moved the whole field in, I was at square leg and he got me to move right in close, to the point that I could almost touch the batsman, this in the days before you had any real safety equipment, no helmet no shin pads no chest pads no nothing, he then bowled one of the worst balls he ever bowled, a long hop down the leg side, which the batsmen hit from the middle of the bat and I couldn’t get out of the way and was hit in the windpipe falling backwards and the ball rolled off me. The umpires and all of the fielders and batsmen were concerned that I might have been seriously injured, but Paul always reminded me that I dropped the catch!

It was the week after that that there was a bust up and most of the first team left, Paul , myself and a couple of other 17 year olds along with a 19 year old found ourselves running a senior cricket club, all be it with one team in a lower league. At the end of the season we lost the ground and ended up having to hire grounds on a match by match basis or play home games away from home, until we got a place at Harraton Cricket Ground to share with another club towards the end of the season. Without Paul the club would have folded, I went off to uni and Paul kept building the club, he was too good a player for the level the club was playing at back then, so moved on to play for a few other teams, but Washington was always “his club”. I was so pleased when Washington got into the top flight before he died, as that was always a dream of his, it only lasted one season, but the journey the club had been on from the days when we were running a club of kids and a few older players, if you had a car you were always in the team as most of us didn’t, to the NEPL was build on the foundations laid by Paul.
That's a brilliant story about the hat trick ball - I can just imagine Paul saying that. Wonder how many people heard the tale about him taking 8-10 against Eppleton when playing for the school? That came out with monotonous regularity!

That's a brilliant story about the hat trick ball - I can just imagine Paul saying that. Wonder how many people heard the tale about him taking 8-10 against Eppleton when playing for the school? That came out with monotonous regularity!
I was n that school team, so heard a lot about it.

spot on mate.

Last edited:

Back