Cynicism about Donald et al?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why will the club not need the money next season?
firstly-the club hasnt been sold to anyone-the percentages are not known, aand secondly, they will still own some, and there will still be bills to be paid right now..
but they didnt get the para money-it went to clear a club debt..it was not used to pay for the club..

It was used to pay a debt which the new owners took on when buying the club, so it was indirectly used to buy the club.

The money which SD mentioned in the podcast isn't being used in the day to day running of the club. He said it was being held and fed back when the club needed it (e.g. transfers, construction work on the ground).

Nothing is confirmed, but the strong rumours are that they are selling 75% of the club to this American guy Campbell. If they do, it'll be interesting to see whether the money is paid back into the club over the next few years accounts or whether the are pulling a fast one. I'm not saying they are, but can understand suspicions when it hasn't been fully paid back into the club when they sell the majority of it.

Anyone else as cynical about Donald et al as my old man?

Seen him yesterday and his opening gambit to me was “have you seen what those two spivs, Donald and slicked back, are up to now. Using the parachute money to buy the club and flipping it for a hefty profit within a year when they knew they never had the money to run it long term.”

Now, let it be said I like SD and I think there is a genuineness to him. I take what he says at face value. However, I’m a fairly trusting person for the most part.

Does anyone share my old man’s view, or is he just a cynical old Sunderland supporter worn down by six decades of largely shite?

depends on how old or what generation your dad is from. A lot of people from this and other mainly heavy industry regions have a serious distrust of owners of company's, due to the way they were treated.

My father in law had a serious mistrust of men doing admin work / working in an office environment. That's not a real mans job, that's women's work.

Have absolutely no problems with SD or CM; whether they sell or not. They've not hidden anything from us as far as I can see. Always admitted they weren't billionaires and that they got a great deal on the club. They've been open that people are looking at investing and if they think everyone will benefit from a sale, why wouldn't they sell?
This..if or when they sell the club and make money on it, it means they've did something right and the club is healthy which can only be a good thing..

It was used to pay a debt which the new owners took on when buying the club, so it was indirectly used to buy the club.

The money which SD mentioned in the podcast isn't being used in the day to day running of the club. He said it was being held and fed back when the club needed it (e.g. transfers, construction work on the ground).

Nothing is confirmed, but the strong rumours are that they are selling 75% of the club to this American guy Campbell. If they do, it'll be interesting to see whether the money is paid back into the club over the next few years accounts or whether the are pulling a fast one. I'm not saying they are, but can understand suspicions when it hasn't been fully paid back into the club when they sell the majority of it.
it was a debt the club owed yes...but it wasnt used to pay ellis for the club, which is what is alleged.
they have already spent millions this season-putting it back in-but yes-its less than they thought they would need to spend-because turnover has been higher and they budgeted very cautiously.
The phrase "paid back into" is what I take issue with-it implies it was taken out of the club-it wasnt-the money was used to pay a club debt-so was used to benefit the club-ot the owners.

Must be shite living your life like that tbf. I doubt I'd bother supporting us if I had a similar mindset.
i think there is an element with some fans that they want to feel big time-and these owners arent "big time" enough for them..so they want to believe the worst.

:lol:

I don't think there's anything wrong with how they bought the club, but I am definitely slightly conflicted about them.

On the one hand there was no-one else stepping forward to buy the club when they took it on, they've halted the decline and dealt well with some seriously bad contracts (Papy, N'Dong etc). If they turn the club round and make a profit, whether in 1 year or 5 years, then fair play to them.

However they don't have anything like enough money to mount a serious challenge in the Championship, and they don't have much of a track record in football at this level and have appeared slightly amateurish at times.

I also have a nagging sense that we have missed a golden opportunity for a fan's group takeover (not that I'm blaming Donald and Methven for that).

Most of this, but definitely not this.

Media paint them as villians and people eat it up :rolleyes:

The odds are stacked against Sunderland in terms of the media and have been since the John Hall days when before that at least you had the local media fairly representing the club.
It’s a club which to many people don’t think the city deserve, the fan base, the facilities etc and is treated as the big dumb class idiot from the downtrodden part of town who can’t fight back and who’s friendship is worthless.
The media can’t wait to put us down or score points. They see no value in their relationship with the club whilst sacrificing their objectivity to keep in with the big bully boy clubs who’s favour they need to retain.
Even in this day and age people still can’t see through it and start to believe them. But then that’s what the drip drip of negativity is designed to do.

Strange comment. The supporters have been at odds with the ownership of the club for the best part of 70 year.
It's not odd at all Chris. If I found myself nitpicking and being suspicious of every little thing the owners did then I'd ask myself why I'm bothering. Clearly nothing will settle some peoples minds.
Debts have been paid.
Have they?
Yes.
But have they?
Yes. Here's the accounts.
Aye but have they really? Where did the money come from to pay them?
Don't worry all that will be in the accounts.
f***ing dodgy twats.

It's f***ing tiresome man.

I doubt I'll ever have much connection with whoever owns the club. Got nowt against SD and think he's done a good job but won't lose too much sleep if he goes/reduces his role. I'll support the team regardless, who owns the club is soemthing that's out of our control, just got to roll with it and fingers crossed we get a decent new owner.

It's not odd at all Chris. If I found myself nitpicking and being suspicious of every little thing the owners did then I'd ask myself why I'm bothering. Clearly nothing will settle some peoples minds.
Debts have been paid.
Have they?
Yes.
But have they?
Yes. Here's the accounts.
Aye but have they really? Where did the money come from to pay them?
Don't worry all that will be in the accounts.
f***ing dodgy twats.

It's f***ing tiresome man.
Fair comment, but I read it as though you wouldn't bother with the club if you didn't fully trust the owners (whether it's these or not). I see the club as being it's own entity, separate from all those who pass through it, whether they be owners, managers, players or tea ladies. I think it's totally reasonable if you're not sure of someone.

:lol:

I don't think there's anything wrong with how they bought the club, but I am definitely slightly conflicted about them.

On the one hand there was no-one else stepping forward to buy the club when they took it on, they've halted the decline and dealt well with some seriously bad contracts (Papy, N'Dong etc). If they turn the club round and make a profit, whether in 1 year or 5 years, then fair play to them.

However they don't have anything like enough money to mount a serious challenge in the Championship, and they don't have much of a track record in football at this level and have appeared slightly amateurish at times.

I also have a nagging sense that we have missed a golden opportunity for a fan's group takeover (not that I'm blaming Donald and Methven for that).
which owners have a track record in footballl before they buy a club? our owners are among the more experienced in the league-in that rhe vast majority of owners have never run a club at any level before they take over?
which club did bob murray run before safc? ir ellis short? which club didn the man city owner run?
as for the money-i doubt the hree of them are poorer than the sheff utd owners (they thought rhy had a rich arab turnos out he is skint and a court case is ongoing) or delia smith..

Look again numb nuts.
aye seen it now-i was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back