Cynicism about Donald et al?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else as cynical about Donald et al as my old man?

Seen him yesterday and his opening gambit to me was “have you seen what those two spivs, Donald and slicked back, are up to now. Using the parachute money to buy the club and flipping it for a hefty profit within a year when they knew they never had the money to run it long term.”

Now, let it be said I like SD and I think there is a genuineness to him. I take what he says at face value. However, I’m a fairly trusting person for the most part.

Does anyone share my old man’s view, or is he just a cynical old Sunderland supporter worn down by six decades of largely shite?

Seen him yesterday and his opening gambit to me was “have you seen what those two spivs, Donald and slicked back, are up to now. Using the parachute money to buy the club and flipping it for a hefty profit within a year when they knew they never had the money to run it long term.”

Now, let it be said I like SD and I think there is a genuineness to him. I take what he says at face value. However, I’m a fairly trusting person for the most part.

Does anyone share my old man’s view, or is he just a cynical old Sunderland supporter worn down by six decades of largely shite?
He’s just a cynical old Sunderland supporter worn down by six decades of largely shite

There’s a lot of people who don’t listen to what they say. They just here and read stuff and repeat it.
The bloke has said repeatedly said he isn’t out to rip safc, yes they might make a profit if and when they sell but only by leaving us in a far better position than they found us, be it on or off the pitch. Hopefully both.
They seem on the face of things to have halted the financial disaster they inherited ( with shorts help by righting off an awful lot of money) but IMO they’re doing good things. Yes we could’ve went up and probably should have but we didn’t.
We need to move on and go again. Which is the message they put across after the play off loss.

Can it be cynicism if it's based on factual inaccuracies?

Also, yes. There's hundreds on here who also have a similar view on him. Theirs are based on factual inaccuracies, but also a weathered, well-beaten history with the Lads.

I don't really blame them on the latter either. I like SD, CM et al.

There’s a lot of people who don’t listen to what they say. They just here and read stuff and repeat it.
The bloke has said repedetily said he isn’t out to rip safc, yes they might make a profit if and when they sell but only by leaving us in a far better position than they found us, be it on or off the pitch. Hopefully both.
They seem on the face of things to have halted the financial disaster they inherited ( with shorts help by righting off an awful lot of money) but IMO they’re doing good things. Yes we could’ve went up and probably should have but we didn’t.
We need to move on and go again. Which is the message they put across after the play off loss.

I sent him the latest podcast and told him to listen. He hasn’t like. :rolleyes:

I sent him the latest podcast and told him to listen. He hasn’t like. :rolleyes:

That’s fine I’ve spoke to loads of people who haven’t listened to them. I work with loads of footy fans of different teams who’ve said the same to me this week by just reading papers and internet snippets.
Some people just don’t take as much interest but still want to talk about it. It’s the way of the world now.
Sure he has safc at heart though. That’s what ultimately counts. Pulling together as fans rather than picking at everything will only help us.
Hopefully they will be proved to be good people and not what some think. Proof will be eventually in the pudding I suppose.
I’m not suggesting you are picking at stuff mind. Just some.

Last edited:

Were gannin round in circles with this discussion...nee bugger knows until we(if it happens) are sold and next years accounts are there for grumpy and the other six accountants to provide us with their musings ................

I dont know don, charlie and santi so i cannot really comment whether your father is right ...........but the faces they have shown to the media i do like don and santi but i cannot get away from the feeling that charlie is a flashman like character comming up north to nick our flat caps whippets and pidgeons.

Fundimentally though business is business and don and co will take a good deal and move on without giving us a second thought ............like deep throat.....i suggest we wait for grumpy to follow the money and we might find outw here all the parachute payments have actually gone!

I'm sure Ellis Short will be interested to hear he never received a penny of the parachute money that was supposed to pay off the SBS debt and has instead been flipped by some Cockney Oxford lads from Eastleigh.

I dont know don, charlie and santi [...] but i cannot get away from the feeling that charlie is a flashman like character comming up north to nick our flat caps whippets and pidgeons.
:lol:

I don't think there's anything wrong with how they bought the club, but I am definitely slightly conflicted about them.

On the one hand there was no-one else stepping forward to buy the club when they took it on, they've halted the decline and dealt well with some seriously bad contracts (Papy, N'Dong etc). If they turn the club round and make a profit, whether in 1 year or 5 years, then fair play to them.

However they don't have anything like enough money to mount a serious challenge in the Championship, and they don't have much of a track record in football at this level and have appeared slightly amateurish at times.

I also have a nagging sense that we have missed a golden opportunity for a fan's group takeover (not that I'm blaming Donald and Methven for that).

Last edited:

I’m with your old man, a wise head on his old shoulders.

I don't and no disrespect to the OPs owld man but I find it utterly pathetic.
It’s 2018 and a large proportion of people prefer a sensational headline to a true headline. As you say, it’s pathetic.

It’s 2018 and a large proportion of people prefer a sensational headline to a true headline. As you say, it’s pathetic.
2019 ffs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back