Cyclists on the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.

do you see where i am coming from? i wouldn't be surprised that if they banned cars from London completely excluding taxis the city would probably function. In every other one in the UK it would probably go tits up very quickly. mon-fri obviously, i guess weekends would be different but I presume they aren't anywhere near as bad?
It wouldn't. Businesses simply couldn't operate
The city with the best tube/bus network in the country needs loads of taxis? What a load of horseplop.
you're having a laugh man

And what about all the complaints from the pedestrians that pay the 'Path Tax'? Cyclists just can't win.

Had two bad crashes with pedestrians stepping out on the road and not looking first. Should be insured to cross the road, I had neebody to claim off.

It wouldn't. Businesses simply couldn't operate

you're having a laugh man

Where else is better? You're never far from a tube station north of the river and lots of places south of it. I'm in London once a month or so and never get a cab/taxi.

Londoners moaning that the tube is shit. :lol:

Last edited:
Was in London today. Cannot even believe how bad the cycling conditions are around Kings Cross down to Hatton Gardens. There's enough room to have huge cycle paths along the full thing as well. People having to dodge between buses makes my stomach turn.

I am a member of two cycling clubs: one in rural Hertfordshire (where I used to live); and one in central London (where I live now). The two clubs are quite different in how often they double up and how often they go single file. It is a really hard call to make. You don't want to unnecessarily inconvenience other road users; but you want to stay safe. As a general rule, being two abreast (which in club terms usually means 2x4 as both clubs split into groups of 8 on the road) is much safer as motor vehicles don't try to do that "squeezing past" manoeuvre. Unfortunately I think the proportion of idiot cyclists is greater than the proportion of idiot drivers - but of course the consequences of idiotic driving are generally much, much worse.

I'd knock London down. I'd keep a few bits for history and for posterity

Then start from scratch, including using the airspace more.

It'll never happen.

But, I do think cyclists need to pass a test before they are allowed on the roads. There are so many bad ones it gives good cyclists a bad name. I feel for car drivers having to put up with poor cycling.

I'm a cyclist, but currently don't cycle into central London very often and when I do I cycle the national cycle route as far as I can.

I'd knock London down. I'd keep a few bits for history and for posterity

Then start from scratch, including using the airspace more.

It'll never happen.

But, I do think cyclists need to pass a test before they are allowed on the roads. There are so many bad ones it gives good cyclists a bad name. I feel for car drivers having to put up with poor cycling.

I'm a cyclist, but currently don't cycle into central London very often and when I do I cycle the national cycle route as far as I can.

You have to pass a test to drive a car but that's no guarantee that the driver isn't gonna be a twat when he/she has his/her licence. The same would apply to cyclists.

Where does this "passing a cycling test" sit if you already have a full driving licence? It would seem a bit stupid if I have a licence to drive a HGV but had to pass another test to ride a bike. What is this test gonna teach me? Would it apply to kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back