Cyclists on the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have direct experience of this, so you can bow to that as well :D There is quite simply not enough of the attitude I describe. The infrastructure problems have been well-rehearsed on this thread and there are no easy answers; the approach and behaviours I am calling for are therefore even more critical.

They could start by sorting out their own fresh plans. Look at the absolute state of this for the new Nine Elms Lane redevelopment. This was supposed to be 'better for cycling than in Amsterdam' according to Boris Johnson. :lol: It's about as bad as the rest of London.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/ro...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It's so frustrating to see as infrastructure is the only way to fix all of the problems discussed in this thread. It is the definitive answer, yet when given blank slates to solve problems they get it spectacularly wrong. It has to be a case of political will as I know the cycle team at TfL would not be recommending this sort of rubbish.

Love this CX bike. Just done 45 miles, and it rides like a dream. Single chain ring is the boyo. Hydraulic discs are way preferable to rim brakes, for me. :)

I stick to the cycling paths. Fuck going on the road, especially after what happened to a lad recently up here.

I approach every commute with a let's not die today mentality. I follow all rules of the road and generally be nice. Sometimes I ride aggressively because I need to in order to keep myself safe.

So we are left with two options. Road users learn to accept each other and this is mainly from motor vehicles, or infrastructure is improved and cycling not just an afterthought.

Here you, I`ve just remembered something. I did a course to do with cycle routes and the like last year. Design of them, layouts at roundabouts etc and I think I am now classed as a Cycling Champion :cool: Something you`ll never achieve pal

I got the kids out for a 22 mile cycle this weekend. Most of it was on cycle tracks along the coast but a couple of sections take you onto narrow public roads for short spells. Both times we had a car give way to us because there was no way we could pass, though one there was plenty of space for me to move aside, wait and wave the driver forward. Pleasing to see after a lot of the stories on here. People being out for a relaxing Saturday, rather than on the commute probably helped a lot like.

Met police are starting undercover cycling officers today equipped with head cameras to catch dangerous drivers. They're going to have some serious work on their hands!

@monkeytassle

Sounds like a canny job. Spend the day out cycling with a camera on your head and get paid for it. Then spend a couple of days in the office prosecuting all the people who drive like *****, before going out of another cycling day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back