Cutting the Grass

Cut mine on Tuesday night - front and back. Just used a strimmer as they had both got so long. Both of them, it was like walking on a trampoline. Ground is still soaking.

Going to try for a proper cut next week, assuming the weather plays ball, then get some seed down where the bald patches are. Might 'feed and weed' the front lawn first - again, weather dependent.

Got the mower out yesterday.
Strimmed first, then put the battery in the mower.
Nothing.
Nowt.

FFS.
Turns out the handle/trigger mechanism has failed. Bodged it for now, but will need to get a replacement part, only a tenner or so though.

Anyway, very light cut just to tidy it up.
Then sprayed for weeds (I know, shouldn't cut beforehand, but going to rain all week!).

Since my dad's lawn is mine to manage now too, I filled the backpack sprayer with Weedol for lawns and blue dye. Set about spraying his, then felt water down my back. Loose on the pump side, pissed all down my back - neck to feet. Clothes covered but also half my back is now blue. FFS :lol:

Ran out of weedol for mine, so used Enforcer for the first time. Hope it does a good job.

Best place to get top soil? Same for seed. Used to get it from wilkos in the bags.
Killed patches of mine 2 year ago. Tried reseeding but it never took so took 4 hours to cut it all out down to soil. Need to fill in and seed.

Best place to get top soil? Same for seed. Used to get it from wilkos in the bags.
Killed patches of mine 2 year ago. Tried reseeding but it never took so took 4 hours to cut it all out down to soil. Need to fill in and seed.
4 x 25l bags of topsoil for a tenner @ the range Silksworth
4 x 50l bags of compost for a tenner @ the range
top left hand corner in the garden centre
boxers of seed 3.99

I struggle with top soil - you hear nothing but complaints about it.
So I tend to use local compost deliveries off facebook marketplace.

For seed, lawnsmith is a decent place to start.

Like I say
Moved into a bungalow in august took three lawns up and shrubs /flowers /trees and plants layed patio we left the three new little apple trees
We still have some lawn to cut and a small strip at the front
Cut today and all is well easy maintenance and garden work

I bought my first lawnmower today, used to use strimmer. It's a cheaper end Bosch as I've only got a bidgy bit of grass.

I can't fathom out how to raise/lower the blade. There's no easy-to-use mechanism, the diagram shows summat next to the front & back wheels. I'm going to need 10 Weetabix before I can alter the blade height. Did a good cut on 6 inches of grass though.

I bit the billet and have bought a battery powered mower. I did a bit of research and the review came back mixed.
I’ve an electric flymo I’ve had for years.
After initially praying for the best I’m amazed on the comfort and also power of it. Get two cuts out of one charge. Very happy with it.

So cut out patches that had died and where tried to reseed with compost and didnt take. Gone through 8 bags of top soil now and only half done. Given in and got a tonne coming on friday 😂
I bit the billet and have bought a battery powered mower. I did a bit of research and the review came back mixed.
I’ve an electric flymo I’ve had for years.
After initially praying for the best I’m amazed on the comfort and also power of it. Get two cuts out of one charge. Very happy with it.

I just have fears like what happened to my dyson that in 3 years time the batteries will fail just as it leaves warranty
I bought my first lawnmower today, used to use strimmer. It's a cheaper end Bosch as I've only got a bidgy bit of grass.

I can't fathom out how to raise/lower the blade. There's no easy-to-use mechanism, the diagram shows summat next to the front & back wheels. I'm going to need 10 Weetabix before I can alter the blade height. Did a good cut on 6 inches of grass though.

Might be notches like on flymos where if you push in the wheels towards the body then lift or drop the wheels then letting go locks them in. Do it on all corners.

Last edited:

Back