Cutting the Grass

Do they have hair?

Been lightly treating mine through the winter.
Back looks excellent, front some moss patches.

Always sort the moss out early April, will cut the lawn before then.
Grass has shot up here the last few weeks. Will be haymaking soon if it doesn't get cut but just too wet still.
Had done really well with no moss showing in January but it's just starting to show itself again now. Will get mobactor on it after first cut.

Grass has shot up here the last few weeks. Will be haymaking soon if it doesn't get cut but just too wet still.
Had done really well with no moss showing in January but it's just starting to show itself again now. Will get mobactor on it after first cut.
Pretty decent out today.

Cut ours on Friday. Some high winds did the job drying the top out.. Front garden lawn looks about 70% moss. Never had it anywhere as bad as this. Laid this new lawn about 7 years ago . New one seems to be the best way. Moss killer just looks garbage, black patches instead on green. Out it will have to come. Some bubbles from couple of frogs on 2 diff. days. Fingers crossed spring finally on way .🤞🤞🤞

Cut ours on Friday. Some high winds did the job drying the top out.. Front garden lawn looks about 70% moss. Never had it anywhere as bad as this. Laid this new lawn about 7 years ago . New one seems to be the best way. Moss killer just looks garbage, black patches instead on green. Out it will have to come. Some bubbles from couple of frogs on 2 diff. days. Fingers crossed spring finally on way .🤞🤞🤞
Try mobactor rather than trading moss killer. It doesn't work as quickly but doesn't turn everything black. Used it for the first time last year and was pleased with it.

Took the strimmer our grass yesterday. It's still a bit wet to mow, but there's patches of it that were just getting out of control.
If it's dry this weekend, I'd love to mow it and ideally re-seed it

I went out to do a quick job on my car in my dinner break and could hear a neighbour cutting their lawn. There has been so much rain here, my garden is still waterlogged in places and you squelch your way up to the top. It can't be doing the grass any favours cutting it when it is this wet. They are probably at risk of electrocution, it didn't sound like a petrol mower.

Someone I pass on my dog walk has not started yet, but the last couple of years, as soon as we have a dry weekend in March their lawn is cut down to the shortest it can possibly be and then mowed every week without fail. Then if we have a bit of good weather, it is dead by May and they have a sprinkler going to revive it. Goes from having the tidiest lawn for 3 weeks to having the worst looking, but still has not figured out what is causing it.

Bins full and not getting collected until next Monday so no cuts for me for another week. Very mossy despite multiple treatments and also full of holes, damn those pesky squirrels!

Took the strimmer our grass yesterday. It's still a bit wet to mow, but there's patches of it that were just getting out of control.
If it's dry this weekend, I'd love to mow it and ideally re-seed it
Too early to reseed, surely?
Last year was a nightmare mind, remember how cold it was until about May? I had the covers over the lawn for months - missus was fuming with me!

Got the 2nd half of the lawn to do this spring lol

Too early to reseed, surely?
Last year was a nightmare mind, remember how cold it was until about May? I had the covers over the lawn for months - missus was fuming with me!

Got the 2nd half of the lawn to do this spring lol

It's a proper pain in the arse. Literally the arse, as I'm forever picking up his lordship's dumps.
The soil under the turf is really clay based and it pisses it down frequently over here. Our "lawn" gets ruined from late autumn til early spring.
I hate looking at it let alone walking on it. It's lovely in the summer - minus the turds - but a lot of the year it's minging.

Mind you family before us had bark chip down. You can imagine how rank that was.

It's a proper pain in the arse. Literally the arse, as I'm forever picking up his lordship's dumps.
The soil under the turf is really clay based and it pisses it down frequently over here. Our "lawn" gets ruined from late autumn til early spring.
I hate looking at it let alone walking on it. It's lovely in the summer - minus the turds - but a lot of the year it's minging.

Mind you family before us had bark chip down. You can imagine how rank that was.
Bark chip is apparently great for improving clay soil. I have it in all my borders. Works as a weed-supressing mulch and retains moisture too.

Bark chip is apparently great for improving clay soil. I have it in all my borders. Works as a weed-supressing mulch and retains moisture too.

This had all rotted down and had turd within it from
a) Previous owner's dog
b) Other animals who treated it as a giant litter box!

I wouldn't have minded it, but it was minging unfortunately. We've got stupid small stones on the other half of the garden which does my head in too. Again previous owner's doing, but changing it all would cost a bomb

My lawns are starting to grow so I'm a couple of weeks from first cut, I'm moss free, so first cut will be medium height, couple of days later someone paid to do a thorough scarify then at the first sign of rain Ill feed.

After that its a weekly cut on high and monthly feed throughout the summer.

a) Previous owner's dog

I wouldn't have minded it, but it was minging unfortunately. We've got stupid small stones on the other half of the garden which does my head in too. Again previous owner's doing, but changing it all would cost a bomb
Ah yeah, if its been used as a toilet, that would be absolute minging :lol:

Just done mine this afternoon for the 1st time this year. Looks miles better but is full of moss so fired some multi purpose lawn weed/ feed/ moss killer stuff down. It might end up needing to be reseeded but it'll do for now

Finally got my arse out this afternoon and spike rolled mine and my folks' lawn, and put the iron (& seaweed) treatment down that should have been down in December!

a) Previous owner's dog

My previous house owner loved small stones and gravel. They had a cheaper plastic liner in the pond (which had started to crack due to the sun) and instead of bringing it over the top of the pond and then burying it, they had half a meter or more around the pond of just bare plastic, which they then covered in gravel with nothing to retain it. As there was a bit of a slope to the pond, when it rained the gravel would slowly slide into the pond. They said they just kept topping up the gravel. I shovelled loads of it out when I replaced the pond liner.

They also had a gravel path up the middle of the garden, that didn't actually go anywhere, so I'm not sure what the point was. Again nothing to retain it so on the edges you had grass mixed with gravel, and my lawnmower blades really didn't like that.

Back