Cutting the Grass

My previous house owner loved small stones and gravel. They had a cheaper plastic liner in the pond (which had started to crack due to the sun) and instead of bringing it over the top of the pond and then burying it, they had half a meter or more around the pond of just bare plastic, which they then covered in gravel with nothing to retain it. As there was a bit of a slope to the pond, when it rained the gravel would slowly slide into the pond. They said they just kept topping up the gravel. I shovelled loads of it out when I replaced the pond liner.

They also had a gravel path up the middle of the garden, that didn't actually go anywhere, so I'm not sure what the point was. Again nothing to retain it so on the edges you had grass mixed with gravel, and my lawnmower blades really didn't like that.

Urgh. That does my head in too.
I'm honestly not sure what to do with our back garden. The stones piss me off something chronic.

Mine is getting bad out the back but its always too wet. Can you go over it with a petrol lawnmower when wet?

Also front garden has half turned to moss think i cut it too short, too late on. Is now a good time for weed and feed?

Urgh. That does my head in too.
I'm honestly not sure what to do with our back garden. The stones piss me off something chronic.
I dug the main gravel out and collected everything from round the pond. The liner had a crack in, so when I did that I dug a trench a little way back from the pond and used that to anchor the liner, before planting up. With some stones, paving and overhanging plants it ended up looking good (or does in the summer, dead and shit at the minute).

The path up the garden I took all the gravel out there that would shovel up easily and raked as many stones out the grass as I could. I dug some of the heavier soil out the borders and used it to top up the now shallow trench before topping with a bit of compost and seeding it (then topped up the borders with compost and manure before re-planting). It does mean that if you stick a fork in the ground you can feel the gravel that was impacted in the soil crunch a bit, but it must be 5-10cm down. It is only if things are exceptionally dry for a long time that you can just see a yellow trace starting to appear.

They charge per bag of soil and rubble at my local tip so I was reluctant to dig down further and reusing soil I wanted to get rid of in the borders cut down on waste there too.

The only one I'm that bothered about is the front lawn as I started from fresh and reseeded it last year.

Should of cut it last week when I had the chance, its chucking down at present here.

The back one is getting restarted again this summer if I can't think of a better summer project to keep me busy.

15-20yr old lawnmower finally going the journey, ryobi cordless just landed... looking forward to trying this even though its usually a job I hate, new machine and all that. No cords and new blades should make it a doddle compared to previous years (I hope anyway)

Some westland feed to stick down and then overseed after the first cut.

Just need a stretch of nice days now.

First cut this week then feed and seed beginning of April. I've got quite a few bald patches where the lawn weed killer has killed the grass, which isn't supposed to happen

Some of my neighbours cut theirs last week and it looks a right mess. I'm glad I resisted

First cut this week then feed and seed beginning of April. I've got quite a few bald patches where the lawn weed killer has killed the grass, which isn't supposed to happen

Some of my neighbours cut theirs last week and it looks a right mess. I'm glad I resisted
Granular product by any chance?

I need to get out and spray mine with weedol today while the weather is decent

Just going to leave mine until the weather decides to grow the fuck up
Taking the other approach myself, going to take the plunge and do the first cut at the front after work. Back lawn is a none starter but i'm just sick of seeing the length of grass at the front. Its always drier at the front hence think i might get away with it today

Back