Cutting the Grass

Logon or register to see this image

Hoping this Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass / AKA Kentucky Blue Grass has time to germinate. Supposedly comes up very slowly if under 17C, and the peak temps look to be 15 to 17 for the next 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed.
Absolutely tons of work in this. Literally.

Last edited:
Was out back this morning and I think I'm going to have to cut the grass in a week or two.

I've never cut it before march before... cant believe how green it is and how much its growing.. same with all the daffs popping up early too
Mad how much it grows after a weekend of rain. I’m at war with Gentoo cos I’ve took a house that’s got more weed in the back garden than Amsterdam.

Is it too late to do a last cut? I didn’t do it when I should have and this sun/rain has sprung it up. Will it ever be dry again to cut? I can only assume there will only be a 2 hour window, on a good day, where it’s actually dry.

What’s the chances this weekend? The 2 hour slot CANNOT be 3PM-5PM tmoro tho.
Astroturfed all the back garden. Very happy.
Easy maintenance, drains well, no mud and
No regrets
Has a lion shit and pissed on it yet? You seem very confident about that drainage. A Lion draining itself during a winter storm will test it.

Is it too late to do a last cut? I didn’t do it when I should have and this sun/rain has sprung it up. Will it ever be dry again to cut? I can only assume there will only be a 2 hour window, on a good day, where it’s actually dry.

Has a lion shit and pissed on it yet? You seem very confident about that drainage. A Lion draining itself during a winter storm will test it.
Not even close

Im
Thinking I’ve got three cuts left to be honest and a scarify.

A last cut? That’s likely to be November if recent years are anything to go by.

Give it an autumn feed to strengthen the roots for over winter, ideally with moss killer then a rake/scarify in a couple of weeks when the moss has blackened off.

Logon or register to see this image

Hoping this Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass / AKA Kentucky Blue Grass has time to germinate. Supposedly comes up very slowly if under 17C, and the peak temps look to be 15 to 17 for the next 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed.
Absolutely tons of work in this. Literally.

think autumn is definitely best season to grow from seed, should still be growth to late October

Mine seems to have clover taking over it worse than any other year. Is it too late to weed killer it?
Probably too late now. The clover will have more or less stopped growing for the year. A good autumn feed and moss killer will promote the grass growth and should weaken the clover, then a good scarify before everything goes dormant, get some good drainage in, prong a fork around at worst to aerate for winter then pick up again in the spring.

Scarified few weeks ago now before the monsoon rains. Bit of liquid nitrogen down and it's nice and green. Patched up a few areas that the dog has ruined and waiting for them to germinate. A nice Autumn/Winter feed in October and have minimal work until March next year

A last cut? That’s likely to be November if recent years are anything to go by.

Give it an autumn feed to strengthen the roots for over winter, ideally with moss killer then a rake/scarify in a couple of weeks when the moss has blackened off.

100% this. Some folk on here try too hard with their lawns. Grass is only a cultivated weed.

I scarify in March before rapid growth starts. Feed high Nitrogen a week later, or when grass noticeable starts growing. Feed high N monthly after that. Always cut on my mowers high setting, twice a week at its peak. Use Weed and feed before scarifying if needed. Any weeds appearing I use a Westland spray weedkiller (selective, kills everything but grass).

First week in September I use an autumn low N feed, at half recommended rate then other half end of September. Still cut on high.

I fed mine last week, always immediately after mowing when rain is forecast (or when its actually raining). Getting cut again today.

Best advice for getting ready for autumn then winter. My back garden is always full of moss/weeds. Doesn’t get the sun in winter.

Best advice for getting ready for autumn then winter. My back garden is always full of moss/weeds. Doesn’t get the sun in winter.
Get an autumn feed and moss killer down now (ideally when rain is predicted within 48 hours). Give it a couple of weeks then give it a good rake/scarify.

Keep cutting till the frosts come but raise the height of the cut.

Rake off any leaf fall but try not to walk on the grass too much once you’ve stopped cutting it. Consider a good forking to aerate over winter.

Get an autumn feed and moss killer down now (ideally when rain is predicted within 48 hours). Give it a couple of weeks then give it a good rake/scarify.

Keep cutting till the frosts come but raise the height of the cut.

Rake off any leaf fall but try not to walk on the grass too much once you’ve stopped cutting it. Consider a good forking to aerate over winter.

100% this, sound advice. Still time to kill and remove moss, and feed. Time for the grass to recover before it stops growing as well.

Give mine Autumn feed in two doses, first one about 2 weeks ago, and am still cutting around every 5 days (I only cut on high), second feed will be first week in October. I'll keep cutting on high possibly into November just the intervals get longer. You always know when to stop completely.

100% this, sound advice. Still time to kill and remove moss, and feed. Time for the grass to recover before it stops growing as well.

Give mine Autumn feed in two doses, first one about 2 weeks ago, and am still cutting around every 5 days (I only cut on high), second feed will be first week in October. I'll keep cutting on high possibly into November just the intervals get longer. You always know when to stop completely.

Hose pipe ban here, good news the last few showers have helped the growth.

I did a weed and feed a few weeks back on the front lawn that gets moss (trees surrounding). Apart from a few cuts I leave it until April.

Anybody still cutting their grass? I did mine Tuesday on a high cut, and its still growing. Might need one more before I leave it until spring.

Baskets all emptied (10), Tubs and Half Moon barrels (10), big trough all cleared of flowers. Greenhouse cleared and being used for woodworking.

Only have the borders and beds to clear and weed but theyre still showing colour. Dahlias to lift and give away, replacing next year.

Been my best ever year.

Back