Cutting the Grass

Well, that's the guide wire dug up.
Suspicious marks when I dug the holes for the compost backfills. Ooops.

Mower reporting a 100+ signal now, vs 20 earlier on. So I'm sure it'll work now. Going to backfill with good soil and sow kentuky blue grass seeds - so I'll be able to see exactly where that wire is for the next few years!

Anything fairly cheap that helps get up the dead black moss I've killed off? Tried using a hand rake and it's bloody hard work and takes forever, I keep hoping the grass will just grow through it which it actually has a fair bit but can still see black moss in patches all over where I need to get it out.

Anything fairly cheap that helps get up the dead black moss I've killed off? Tried using a hand rake and it's bloody hard work and takes forever, I keep hoping the grass will just grow through it which it actually has a fair bit but can still see black moss in patches all over where I need to get it out.

You need to get all the dead moss out, otherwise its pointless killing it. You kill it and remove it to stop it stifling the grass growth.

Hire an electric lawn rake/scarifier to use. It will leave the lawn looking in a state. Then use Westland Safe Lawn, its a fertilizer with grass seed incorporated, but use it when rain is imminent as it needs to be watered in. Youll see good results in a couple of weeks.

Seeing as we’re doing gardeners question time any ideas where I’m going wrong

New lawn laid last year, was all thin and brown in patches after winter, obvious drainage issues as well as the soil settled (new build). I scarified it, aerated it good and proper and dumped a load of new soil on it April. Seeded and feeded it and it was looking champion throughout may, I had been cutting it without catching the clippings and I noticed there was a bit thatch building up and it was yellowing in parts so I raked it all up and re-seeded a few yellow spots, again looking ok then last couple of weeks it’s just been growing in patches, like dark green lush thick bits diffuse throughout but lighter green slower growing bits in between. Why are my nice thick green bits not joining up throughout the whole lawn?

Verticutted the lawn last night to chop back all the spread growth of the poa annua and to lift out all of it that's dead. LOTS of bare patches in the lawn now! Not seeding it though let's see what happens.
Lots of rain last night thankfully, and now a hot day - so should recover fast.

Seeing as we’re doing gardeners question time any ideas where I’m going wrong

New lawn laid last year, was all thin and brown in patches after winter, obvious drainage issues as well as the soil settled (new build). I scarified it, aerated it good and proper and dumped a load of new soil on it April. Seeded and feeded it and it was looking champion throughout may, I had been cutting it without catching the clippings and I noticed there was a bit thatch building up and it was yellowing in parts so I raked it all up and re-seeded a few yellow spots, again looking ok then last couple of weeks it’s just been growing in patches, like dark green lush thick bits diffuse throughout but lighter green slower growing bits in between. Why are my nice thick green bits not joining up throughout the whole lawn?
Are you watering it? Been hardly any rain this year.
Not saying you must, but it would explain it. I don't water anymore.

Verticutted the lawn last night to chop back all the spread growth of the poa annua and to lift out all of it that's dead. LOTS of bare patches in the lawn now! Not seeding it though let's see what happens.
Lots of rain last night thankfully, and now a hot day - so should recover fast.

Are you watering it? Been hardly any rain this year.
Not saying you must, but it would explain it. I don't water anymore.

Watering it religiously every day, to the point a few mushrooms actually popped up

Watering it religiously every day, to the point a few mushrooms actually popped up
Thats possibly the issue.
Once new seed is established, one or two heavier waters is better than lots of smaller ones.
Or roots don't bother doing deep.

What’s the fix you reckon?
Since there's a lot of new, I think you should still water it. But no more than twice per week. IIRC, you want about 3-4cm of water per go. Put a cup down on the lawn, so that you know exactly how much water is actually landing.

And if it rains a fair amount, count that as one of the waterings.

One of my most hated jobs this. Mess on getting the gear out, takes ages, still looks shite when i`ve finished
I'd forgot how much I dislike cutting the big lawn since the robot broke down. Its fixed now though.

Mind, I think 75% of the problem is just the bloody cable.

Ran out of strimmer wire for my Ryobi 18V strimmer the other day.
And recommendations for what to replace it with?
From what I can figure out, it came with 1.6mm line - not sure if I need to use exactly the same or not, or if there's a better product than buying the Ryobi stuff again?

Killed off my front lawn a few weeks back as it was a myriad of grasses and it faired very poorly during the summer without constant watering and feeding.
Also suspected the soil would be nothing but stones underneath a sliver of topsoil.

Used the small screwfix tiller over the weekend to remove about 4cm of the surface.

About 30 wheelbarrows (probably more) of soil have been taken out, moved, and used to level a piece of ground elsewhere. Seems reasonable soil in the most part so should do quite well really.
But I do think of I go further, I'll see a nightmare. also, round the edges is just gravel, it's awful. I can't dig out, it's just too much work. And on one side, where it floods, it's terrible rock hard lumps of pure clay.

So instead of nice topsoil that would go down easily, I'm going to have to use compost and fight to get it level ish. And then have to keep leveling it for years to come. Only compost will help build good soil.
Will order a ton bag tomorrow.

I'm utterly broken now though. Back is ruined.

Killed off my front lawn a few weeks back as it was a myriad of grasses and it faired very poorly during the summer without constant watering and feeding.
Also suspected the soil would be nothing but stones underneath a sliver of topsoil.

Used the small screwfix tiller over the weekend to remove about 4cm of the surface.

About 30 wheelbarrows (probably more) of soil have been taken out, moved, and used to level a piece of ground elsewhere. Seems reasonable soil in the most part so should do quite well really.
But I do think of I go further, I'll see a nightmare. also, round the edges is just gravel, it's awful. I can't dig out, it's just too much work. And on one side, where it floods, it's terrible rock hard lumps of pure clay.

So instead of nice topsoil that would go down easily, I'm going to have to use compost and fight to get it level ish. And then have to keep leveling it for years to come. Only compost will help build good soil.

I’d just get some astroturf down if I was you.

Tarmac the fucker

Back