Cutting the Grass

Killed off my front lawn a few weeks back as it was a myriad of grasses and it faired very poorly during the summer without constant watering and feeding.
Also suspected the soil would be nothing but stones underneath a sliver of topsoil.

Used the small screwfix tiller over the weekend to remove about 4cm of the surface.

About 30 wheelbarrows (probably more) of soil have been taken out, moved, and used to level a piece of ground elsewhere. Seems reasonable soil in the most part so should do quite well really.
But I do think of I go further, I'll see a nightmare. also, round the edges is just gravel, it's awful. I can't dig out, it's just too much work. And on one side, where it floods, it's terrible rock hard lumps of pure clay.

So instead of nice topsoil that would go down easily, I'm going to have to use compost and fight to get it level ish. And then have to keep leveling it for years to come. Only compost will help build good soil.
Will order a ton bag tomorrow.

I'm utterly broken now though. Back is ruined.

Had problems with our lawn a couple of months ago with an infestation of fungus (fairy ring). Dug up where the infestation was and the soil was poor quality due to the fungus. Sprinkled a water and bicarbonate of soda mix over it for a few days and it was back to normal in no time. Bit of topsoil on and grass seed sown and it's now right as rain.

Had problems with our lawn a couple of months ago with an infestation of fungus (fairy ring). Dug up where the infestation was and the soil was poor quality due to the fungus. Sprinkled a water and bicarbonate of soda mix over it for a few days and it was back to normal in no time. Bit of topsoil on and grass seed sown and it's now right as rain.
The fungus would have been helping the poor soil.
Not the other way round.

I laid a new lawn this year and it has taken beautifully, however I now have a huge problem with mushrooms. It’s taking me hours a week to remove them and they completely ruin the look of the garden. Most things I have read say it is the sign of a healthy lawn but it isn’t a good look - any ideas on solutions which don’t require too much work?

I laid a new lawn this year and it has taken beautifully, however I now have a huge problem with mushrooms. It’s taking me hours a week to remove them and they completely ruin the look of the garden. Most things I have read say it is the sign of a healthy lawn but it isn’t a good look - any ideas on solutions which don’t require too much work?
Don't do anything.
Mushrooms are great.
They don't last long.

If you spray something, you'll kill the soil life and the grass will suffer in the long term.

Don't do anything.
Mushrooms are great.
They don't last long.

If you spray something, you'll kill the soil life and the grass will suffer in the long term.
They look awful though. It looked like Noddy and Big Ears had built a new estate on my lawn before I got to work yesterday. My knees are shot today

Similar for me.
Had turf laid earlier this year and now have a smallish patch of mushrooms growing through

Seem to think Robbie did a video about this, can't say I remember it but here it is anyway :)
Great video that, just had our inlaws dog here for 2 weeks while they were on holiday and there's a few scorch marks left after his been out in the garden. Nightmare like but couldn't be arsed running after him with a watering can. Raked it out yesterday and will get some seed down before the temperatures drop towards Autumn.

Had new lawn put down March was told not to water on a night or late evening as it causes mushrooms, I didn't and I have had about 2 mushrooms and its a big lawn.. think he said water dosnt have time to a aborb on night causing damp and wet grass over night which is perfect for mushrooms. Heard its a sign of a healthy garden to if you have myshrooms

Had new lawn put down March was told not to water on a night or late evening as it causes mushrooms, I didn't and I have had about 2 mushrooms and its a big lawn.. think he said water dosnt have time to a aborb on night causing damp and wet grass over night which is perfect for mushrooms. Heard its a sign of a healthy garden to if you have myshrooms
I've heard similar mate, watering it on an evening means it's damp over night and increases the risk of bacteria and infections. It's best to do it first thing on a morning so it has a chance to absorb and any heat from the sun during the day will dry it off. I still do mind on an early evening though.

Cut mine at the weekend for the first time in months. i wanted to protect the roots from the hot weather.
Luckily the Hosepipe ban hasn’t deteriorated the condition, looks good.

Fed front lawn as gets moss at this time of year. Raining now.
No weeds or clover which is good news.

Yeah, watering at night encourages "bad" fungi and other problems.

I get terrible mushrooms at times, but its all directly due to rotting tree roots where I had the trees taken out. Individual ones across the lawn are few and far between, but they just get cut down by the robot anyway.

Oh I agree. It’s just @PTR seems to have been fighting his lawn for quite some time now and is resorting to killing it and starting over. Sometimes you just cut your losses for sanity’s sake.
tbh, I'm doing the front for fun as much as anything - trying some things out, such as a new seed - KBG.

Back