Cutting the Grass

This might be sacrilege on this thread ….

If I leave an area of a verge un-mowed to attract bees etc. do I stop mowing between certain months e.g. may to September?

Or is it easier to permanently leave a ‘strip’ in a wild ish state?

Thanks.

If I leave an area of a verge un-mowed to attract bees etc. do I stop mowing between certain months e.g. may to September?
Thanks.
Not too sure, but I expect whatever you're most comfortable with will work best. Stuff will grow and it should end up quite nice.
If you want to encourage the wild flowers, sow some Yellow Rattle next December, and it'll stifle the grasses next year and let the flowers prosper

Thanks.
Tricky one to call depending on whether you just want a wild area or a wild flower area.

Wild flowers in the main grow best where the soil is poor and there is little competition from grass. There’s a brilliant plant called Yellow Rattle or the “Meadow Maker” which helps suppress grasses allowing wild flowers to flourish.

Not too sure, but I expect whatever you're most comfortable with will work best. Stuff will grow and it should end up quite nice.
If you want to encourage the wild flowers, sow some Yellow Rattle next December, and it'll stifle the grasses next year and let the flowers prosper
Coises! Beaten to it again :lol:

Ok thank you. There are already pink and white clover that the bees seem to like.

I have read a few things online and apparently even if the grass is unkempt it shouldn’t grow more than knee height.

I’ll have a think about sowing things.

Ok thank you. There are already pink and white clover that the bees seem to like.

I have read a few things online and apparently even if the grass is unkempt it shouldn’t grow more than knee height.

Hmm, well, my stripped back and specifically sowed grass-free wildflower seeds, in year 2, was overran with various grasses that grew to about 4 foot. Had some curious species in it too - once they went to seed, Google Lens was able to identify them.
In the same way there will be loads of random seeds in your soil that will come through. Like you say, already clover.
Nothing to lose by just letting it play out really.
Finally got a couple of boreholes all the way through the backfill, and down to the natural.
And I thought the garden soil was heavy clay - but its nothing like this stuff. Its like plastercine. I filled one of them with water last night (about 8 litres!) and its still 1/4 full this morning, unreal.

So I've got no chance of ever breaking through to free-draining material and building the natural web I was hoping for. Still though, I can get a ton of organic matter into the ground for the worms to eat and drag all over the place over the next year.

Only problem is, each hole causes the drill to overheat, so I can only do one ever 2hrs or so!

Last edited:

Whatever you do, you must cut it all down late August/ September. Leave it for a few days for seeds to fall and then remove it all. As others have said, for wild flowers to grow the soil’s fertility has to be decreased, removing the grass every year will achieve this.

We got our garden planted and they put some pink flowers in that look like lavender (sorry Im not much of a gardener) and the bees absolutely love them we have hundreds of them busying about - even had a humming bird one day on them.

My lawn has been crushed as we had tons of snow this winter so lots of thatch so I bought a scarifier so will give that a go see if it helps

I read about overseeding helping the lawn any of the resident experts views on how often/when and what to use - Ta!

We got our garden planted and they put some pink flowers in that look like lavender (sorry Im not much of a gardener) and the bees absolutely love them we have hundreds of them busying about - even had a humming bird one day on them.

My lawn has been crushed as we had tons of snow this winter so lots of thatch so I bought a scarifier so will give that a go see if it helps

I read about overseeding helping the lawn any of the resident experts views on how often/when and what to use - Ta!
Re: over seeding - take a look at the lawn smith site.

Hmm, so I had a hedge that had become way too 'fat', cut it back hard last autumn and we've gained about two feet of 'lawn' the full length of the garden, except it's completely barren now after I've raked the years old covering of bits of twig away. I was going to lawn seed it, but from this thread it might be better as a wild flower border, it will always be less fertile than the rest of the lawn due to the thirstiness of the mature hedge.

Too early for scarifying really as next week has snow showers in the forcast!
But next weekend looks good to me as long as the ground isn't wet.
I'm in Canada mate

Currently gone from snow to around 12 degrees and some rain. It's no longer below freezing overnight.

Next few months start getting very dry then everything sets on fire in the summer so need the irrigation then 😂

Whatever you do, you must cut it all down late August/ September. Leave it for a few days for seeds to fall and then remove it all. As others have said, for wild flowers to grow the soil’s fertility has to be decreased, removing the grass every year will achieve this.
Thank you. The grass on the verge isn’t bad, mainly clay and leftover building materials underneath. I’ve planted some shrubs and ornamental grasses on it to deter vehicles parking.

My job tomorrow reseeding 2 lawns.
Both actually in good order as have been treating them with lawn sand all winter to remove the moss.

My dry stone wall starting to look magnificent with the Heather and aubrieta flowering. The phlox (my favourite) need a few more weeks.
Brought this property and was an absolute jungle, brambles taken over everything, taken 3 to 4 years to make it beautiful and the reason why we brought it in the first place for its potential.
Going to start working on the house now, but prefer the garden.

Could be aubrieta?
Loves the sun, flowers this time of year.

Last edited:
Could be aubrieta?
Loves the sun, flowers this time of year.

Dont think so its not flowering yet. I will try a pic but not very good with them so hope it works.

Its the purple ones in front of the grasses. I tried to zoom it in closer but definition was crap. The flowers are bell shaped and there are loads on each plant

(Ignore the dead body in the bag please)

Logon or register to see this image

Dont think so its not flowering yet. I will try a pic but not very good with them so hope it works.

Its the purple ones in front of the grasses. I tried to zoom it in closer but definition was crap. The flowers are bell shaped and there are loads on each plant

(Ignore the dead body in the bag please)

Logon or register to see this image

Not aubrieta. Not sure of the name but think I know what that is.
Keeps the flowers for a very long time 👍

Back