Cutting the Grass

Need to overseed my lawn. I think.

What is best place to get grass seed from?
Most people seem to recommend A1.
I've bought from the Lawnsmith website mostly.
Should I water the grass after it’s first cut? Not due any rain until Monday and I’m halfway through the cut.
Nerd Alert: What type of grass is it?
Is the ground dry? Mine is still like mud, its almost entirely saturated

Most people seem to recommend A1.
I've bought from the Lawnsmith website mostly.

Nerd Alert: What type of grass is it?
Is the ground dry? Mine is still like mud, its almost entirely saturated
No idea the sort of grass. Ground isn’t dry but not soaking wet.

No idea the sort of grass. Ground isn’t dry but not soaking wet.
Its April, I'd be shocked if you need to water the grass. I've just cut mine on my mower's lowest setting ahead of scarifying it on Monday. It was pretty damp underneath.
"Good" grass has long roots and connects to the mycorrhizal network which brings water and nutrients in exchange for sugar that he grass plant precipitates out of its roots in return.
Weed Grasses (poa annual for example) has shallow roots and doesn't form a symbiosis with the fungi networks. So it gets stressed in dry conditions. Its a good way to know how much of it you have!

Its April, I'd be shocked if you need to water the grass. I've just cut mine on my mower's lowest setting ahead of scarifying it on Monday. It was pretty damp underneath.
"Good" grass has long roots and connects to the mycorrhizal network which brings water and nutrients in exchange for sugar that he grass plant precipitates out of its roots in return.
Weed Grasses (poa annual for example) has shallow roots and doesn't form a symbiosis with the fungi networks. So it gets stressed in dry conditions. Its a good way to know how much of it you have!
Cheers. Just went over it with the push mower as me petrol one isn’t up and running yet. Got a couple of bits that will need to be strimmed as the mower can’t handle them.

New turf down this weekend how often and how much should I water it know can’t be on it for 4 weeks also should I cut it at the 4 week mark or wait a tad longer cheers.

Nee brown bin?

I don't like picking shit up. Big part of why I haven't got another dog. :lol:

Mah too tight
I'm the official dog shit picker uperer by all accounts. I'm the only one that walks him. Everyone let's him in the garden.

Sounds like me ☹️
Our lass used to do her fair share until we moved house then suddenly it was my job yet her and the bairns are twisting on to get another dog that I'll end up looking after. :lol:

I was adamant i didnt want one. Told them id end up walking it mostly and picking shit up etc. Guess what happened?

Last edited:
Its the emptying the container into a bag etc for me. What a clart
hehe, I empty mine into the field out the back ;)

Was planning to do the front today, but I've ended up preparing the raised beds and putting seeds in, instead. My compost really isn't ready, so having to dig it in. Bit of a pain, but still beats paying for it.

Actually not going out till 3, so I might still get this front done.

Last edited:

Back