Cutting the Grass

Anyone know owt about tomatoes? Can't find any other gardening threads.

Came back from holidays, and mine have started to ripen on the vine. Should I take them off now and let them ripen inside, or leave them until I want to use them?
Is there a time I must get them off the plant? No sign of blight on them so far, I cut the foliage back 6-8 weeks ago, so there's very few leaves now and plenty of airflow around the plants, so they don't get damp.
I just leave mine and pick when I use them. Mind their not in a greenhouse, so I'm hoping we get a few more weeks of decent weather yet

Also a good time to try and rake out /scarify any moss out and feed with a low nitrogen fertiliser and still warm enough to re-seed any bare/ damaged patches.

I just leave mine and pick when I use them. Mind their not in a greenhouse, so I'm hoping we get a few more weeks of decent weather yet
Aye, I've read that you can pick them once they have some colour, and they'll ripen in the fridge.
Took a batch off 2 weeks ago, and there's another larger batch to take off now. Happy days.

Mines looking a bit bare since I scarified it. Don’t think the seed was the best. Might just put up with it until March/April.
How long ago did you seed? And did you also put some top dressing on?
It can take a couple of weeks to germinate and another couple to really show itself.
Mines quite weedy and patchy , cut it yesterday , so should I just rake it and put some seed down ?
Getting late in the year for seeding now. I'd be inclined to get a good quality Autumn weed n feed on it to kill off the weed and moss and strengthen the root base of the grass. Then be prepared to tackle it properly in early spring scarifying and reseeding

Last edited:
Would you still cut it at this time of year or best left now.
You can cut any time of year it’s the biggest myth going as long as it’s dry obv, all last cut means ya you don’t have to cut it again because the grass has stopped growing , cut mine few days ago to keep it nice and tidy for the winter.

Also a good time to try and rake out /scarify any moss out and feed with a low nitrogen fertiliser and still warm enough to re-seed any bare/ damaged patches.
Any tips on patches caused by dog piss mate. Relaid my turf in March, it's now decimated from my 2 pups. It seems female dog piss is high in Nitrogen and burns the grass, and kills it.

Anyone else’s lawn covered in mushrooms? What do you do with them?
Unless you need to remove them, just leave them.
They are a sign that there is a good amount of organic material in the soil, and the fungus are trying to reproduce.

If you try to kill the fungus, you'll also kill all the good fungus in the soil, which is a very bad thing as its this that promotes "good" grass over weed grasses.
Any tips on patches caused by dog piss mate. Relaid my turf in March, it's now decimated from my 2 pups. It seems female dog piss is high in Nitrogen and burns the grass, and kills it.
Premier Lawns youtube did a full video on it recently

Back