Cutting the Grass

Front has a lot of thatch and bare patches. Back has looked beautiful over summer but looking a bit bare in areas after raking over. I think I’ve left it too late to scarify, overseed and rake on compost. There’s no harm in prepping to do this apr/may time is there?

aye, defo coming thru a dodgy resolution on that twitter one compared to the vid on my phone.
I usually upload my videos to youtube, as they keep the full quality.
Front has a lot of thatch and bare patches. Back has looked beautiful over summer but looking a bit bare in areas after raking over. I think I’ve left it too late to scarify, overseed and rake on compost. There’s no harm in prepping to do this apr/may time is there?
If you can do it this weekend, or at a push, next, you'll be fine.
I did mine on Monday, and its already recovered about 80% Its perfect weather. Due to rain middle of next week too

I usually upload my videos to youtube, as they keep the full quality.

If you can do it this weekend, or at a push, next, you'll be fine.
I did mine on Monday, and its already recovered about 80% Its perfect weather. Due to rain middle of next week too

Diary free on Sunday so it’s possible. Got any decent tips for spreading the compost…or would you use top soil? Videos I watch on YT they usually use the roller with holes in for even spreading but it’s over £200 for one of them!

I think up you can scarify any point September to November.
if you want to put more seed down probably best before start of October though

Diary free on Sunday so it’s possible. Got any decent tips for spreading the compost…or would you use top soil? Videos I watch on YT they usually use the roller with holes in for even spreading but it’s over £200 for one of them!
You can get a cheaper version of that lanzie compost spreader from a dutch firm for about £120. I'm tempted tbh.

But you can just "throw" it across the lawn with a shovel, then lightly rake it. I open the bags first, and break them up as they come very compacted in the bag, which isn't what you want.
You don't want a heavy covering, just 1cm is enough to cover the seed, keep moisture in and keep the birds off :)

Premier Lawns channel on youtube has videos on how to top dress.

Off the grass topic but have any of the gardening fraternity had a problem with codling moth in the fruit trees and successfully got rid of them. I've had a bumper crop of apples and pears this year but the little grey beggars have spoilt about 70% of the bigger, better fruit. They can have the little ones but always target the good stuff! just ordered some nematodes to try for next years crop but any other successful methods been done?

I don't really want to spray in spring as that will possibly kill the ladybirds and they were abundant this year and did a great job on the aphids for once.

I don't really want to spray in spring as that will possibly kill the ladybirds and they were abundant this year and did a great job on the aphids for once.
Lucky you. I didn't see a single one, despite buying a insect hotel thingy, putting a saucer down for water and also buying 2 batches of ladybird lavae!

Lucky you. I didn't see a single one, despite buying a insect hotel thingy, putting a saucer down for water and also buying 2 batches of ladybird lavae!
Yeah loads this year and the ants didn't get at them as much so they totally destroyed the aphids for the first time, that's why I don't want to go down the pesticide route for the moths

You can get a cheaper version of that lanzie compost spreader from a dutch firm for about £120. I'm tempted tbh.

But you can just "throw" it across the lawn with a shovel, then lightly rake it. I open the bags first, and break them up as they come very compacted in the bag, which isn't what you want.
You don't want a heavy covering, just 1cm is enough to cover the seed, keep moisture in and keep the birds off :)

Premier Lawns channel on youtube has videos on how to top dress.

Scarified the front, filled up my garden waste bin (that was only emptied on Friday!), seeded, threw down 300L of compost and added more seed more good measure and watered! Could've done with another few 50L bags of compost, but know for next year. Gonna leave the back lawn until spring as it's in decent condition.

Scarified the front, filled up my garden waste bin (that was only emptied on Friday!), seeded, threw down 300L of compost and added more seed more good measure and watered! Could've done with another few 50L bags of compost, but know for next year. Gonna leave the back lawn until spring as it's in decent condition.
Amazing how much compost you need to top dress!

We’ve just had our lawns treated - bloke came out and sprayed it with something. Have to see how it goes but neighbour reckons it kills the weeds and grass turns into a lush shade of green.

now is about the time to scarify

Are you in Sunderland mate? We’re desperate for ours doing like.
I spoke to these earlier in the year, didn't end up getting anything done as other things came up, but they didn't take the piss with prices, might be worth speaking to them see if they can help, they cover Sunderland

I spoke to these earlier in the year, didn't end up getting anything done as other things came up, but they didn't take the piss with prices, might be worth speaking to them see if they can help, they cover Sunderland

Cheers mate. Will check them out

Back