Cutting the Grass

Well that’s the lawn care done for the year. Overseeded and top soil down. A little later than I wanted but we are away most of the weekend so it times nicely so the dogs aren’t on it and the weather isn’t too bad for the coming week so I should get away with it.

This is my last through of the dice to keep off the demand for fake grass next year. Wet paws are one thing, mud being dragged in multiple times a day is another. Fingers cross I’ve cracked it.

Just given mine a number one. Have run out of time for seeding. No time over the last week or so and heading abroad soon. Will give it another couple of higher trims in October too though.

Just given mine a number one. Have run out of time for seeding. No time over the last week or so and heading abroad soon. Will give it another couple of higher trims in October too though.

I had to loan my grandads mower, mine is probably older than me and only had short medium or long. I’m sure short is for removing the top layer of soil it’s that short so I always end up using medium. With his Ive managed to set it to 30mm and done it that long for the overseed. I tried 20mm but that looked like it would ruin it. If I can get away with no fake grass next year I’ll be treating myself to something a lot better.

I stopped cutting mine in about late November last year and had to start again by the end of February this year. Almost getting to an all year round task but no the climates not changing.

Gave the back a trim today, put down some iron treatment to harden up the soil over winter and starting to notice an ever largening area of dead grass. Lifted some up and the surrounding area also lifts…really hope them little twats that eat roots haven’t set up camp ☹️

Gave the back a trim today, put down some iron treatment to harden up the soil over winter and starting to notice an ever largening area of dead grass. Lifted some up and the surrounding area also lifts…really hope them little twats that eat roots haven’t set up camp ☹️
Sounds like it.
Get some nematodes down. £15 on amazon.

Is it still OK to put down some weed and feed or is it too late in the year now? My grass isn't in great shape front or back and has a few dead patches.
The side of the box says April to Sep...(I know its still Sep but its almost Oct)

Is it still OK to put down some weed and feed or is it too late in the year now? My grass isn't in great shape front or back and has a few dead patches.
The side of the box says April to Sep...(I know its still Sep but its almost Oct)
Edit. Re read.

Hmmm. Probably won't hurt. Might not get full benefit though as weeds won't be growing at much, so won't die back either.
And what will you do with those that do die? Leave them in place?
By mid Oct, it's probably too late to take them out and reseed.

On the other hand, might have some iron in it, which is ideal to go down now.

Then never buy crappy weednfeed again. It's a poor product, in general.

Last edited:
Anyone know owt about tomatoes? Can't find any other gardening threads.

Came back from holidays, and mine have started to ripen on the vine. Should I take them off now and let them ripen inside, or leave them until I want to use them?
Is there a time I must get them off the plant? No sign of blight on them so far, I cut the foliage back 6-8 weeks ago, so there's very few leaves now and plenty of airflow around the plants, so they don't get damp.

Put the nematodes down earlier today and gave the area a good soaking. Will reseed and attempt to level off with sand April next year as too late now. Hopefully nomore of them little slug things eating my roots!

Going to attempt a lightish scarify tomorrow as weather looks ok early on

good few weeks left of temperatures decent enough for more growth I think

Dinnar what’s gone on with my lawn. Not one weed all summer then I scarify it, overseed and feed it and there’s loads now.
I've scarified, reseeded and put some bagged topsoil on as topdressing in bare areas and I guarantee it'll being in loads of weed despite it saying it's screened and weed free.

Bliddy pigeons found the seeded lawn today. The marble catapult will be out at the weekend.

green thumb are good
My mate used to have them - but the stuff that they put down now has changed. Something to do with a certain chemical in the old mixture.
He fucked them off - over-priced shite now he said. The gear you can get online and spread yourself is just as good, if not better. His words not mine.

Back