Cutting the Grass

Went away for a week after putting the summer ferts, seaweed, mycorrizal fungi and yucca wetting agent on both lawns.
Came back to a canny chunk of growth and some lush green colours.

Need to get out and cut it soon though, before the rain comes this afternoon.

Coming along nicely though.
Balls. Had to wait for something else, and by the time I managed to cut the front, the rain had started. Hopefully it passes soon, as the back needs strimming (robot mower does the rest). But I did want to verticut the back too - it really seems to control the poa seed heads, exactly as I hoped it would
Bastard.
Managed to get out and almost finished. Just the bairns swing set to strim and then a few bits I have to do with scissors (seriously! The cat will eat any long grass, but she can't swallow it and it gets stuck in her soft pallate = trip to vets), and also needed to run the mower around the outside to lift the strimmed grass off.
But no chance now - 2 downpours one after the other, can't see it drying up enough now. Bugger.

Last edited:
Went away for a week after putting the summer ferts, seaweed, mycorrizal fungi and yucca wetting agent on both lawns.
Came back to a canny chunk of growth and some lush green colours.

Need to get out and cut it soon though, before the rain comes this afternoon.

Coming along nicely though.
Balls. Had to wait for something else, and by the time I managed to cut the front, the rain had started. Hopefully it passes soon, as the back needs strimming (robot mower does the rest). But I did want to verticut the back too - it really seems to control the poa seed heads, exactly as I hoped it would
Bastard.
Managed to get out and almost finished. Just the bairns swing set to strim and then a few bits I have to do with scissors (seriously! The cat will eat any long grass, but she can't swallow it and it gets stuck in her soft pallate = trip to vets), and also needed to run the mower around the outside to lift the strimmed grass off.
But no chance now - 2 downpours one after the other, can't see it drying up enough now. Bugger.
Not been able to do ours for days, there’s always been a downpour.

Not been able to do ours for days, there’s always been a downpour.
Finally got it done just now

Also managed to go out and thin my tomatoes as they were growing across eachother and blocking out all the light. I can see loads of flowers and small tomatoes now. Fingers crossed!
Also, my coriander went to seed, and there's millions of small green pods now. Going to have some lovely fresh freshly ground coriander to make some of @AlsKitchen curries with!
2nd verticut done with the new Bosch verticutter. This time was the top setting, so less agressive. Took out 90% of the poa annua seed heads though, which is the most important thing right now. Need to keep on top of that for the next 2 years unfortunately.

All those holes I dug and filled with compost - the grass I grew in seedtrays went in a few weeks ago, and they've all taken and blended in nicely.

New toy arrived today - Fiskar weed puller. I'm amazed at how good it is. My lawn only had a few weeks, but they came out no bother at all. Noticed that I now how loads of worms in the ground as well. A month ago I had barely any - the compost-holes have made an instant improvement there I think.

Considering buying a big bag of sulfur granules now - my clay soil is really alkaline. The compost will help, but it'll take years even if I do that every year. monthly sulfur treatments might really help get the pH under 7, which is where the better grass species thrive.
Anyone done this before?

Last edited:
Finally got it done just now

Also managed to go out and thin my tomatoes as they were growing across eachother and blocking out all the light. I can see loads of flowers and small tomatoes now. Fingers crossed!
Also, my coriander went to seed, and there's millions of small green pods now. Going to have some lovely fresh freshly ground coriander to make some of @AlsKitchen curries with!
2nd verticut done with the new Bosch verticutter. This time was the top setting, so less agressive. Took out 90% of the poa annua seed heads though, which is the most important thing right now. Need to keep on top of that for the next 2 years unfortunately.

All those holes I dug and filled with compost - the grass I grew in seedtrays went in a few weeks ago, and they've all taken and blended in nicely.

New toy arrived today - Fiskar weed puller. I'm amazed at how good it is. My lawn only had a few weeks, but they came out no bother at all. Noticed that I now how loads of worms in the ground as well. A month ago I had barely any - the compost-holes have made an instant improvement there I think.

Considering buying a big bag of sulfur granules now - my clay soil is really alkaline. The compost will help, but it'll take years even if I do that every year. monthly sulfur treatments might really help get the pH under 7, which is where the better grass species thrive.
Anyone done this before?
You're developing OCD!

Got two front lawns to do this affa, back ones were done yesterday, just renewed the drip and cill on the outhouse window, as well as reglazing it, I'll be glad when the wife gans back to work.:mad:

Got two front lawns to do this affa, back ones were done yesterday, just renewed the drip and cill on the outhouse window, as well as reglazing it, I'll be glad when the wife gans back to work.:mad:
Should put an invoice into her mate, seen the rates at the minute?

Should put an invoice into her mate, seen the rates at the minute?
Anar Wilfy, I could make a killing If I was so inclined, I hear there's a big demand for wall raising, I'm a canny bricklayer as well and still keep me trowels in good nick, but! The truth is, I can't be arsed..😉

Anar Wilfy, I could make a killing If I was so inclined, I hear there's a big demand for wall raising, I'm a canny bricklayer as well and still keep me trowels in good nick, but! The truth is, I can't be arsed..😉
Even the usual shit we use are asking for £19, saw an advert the other day for an agency paying £23.

Shopfitting is what we do mainly. And aye, I was surprised at £23/ hour from an agency being advertised. That was for north York’s like.
I know chippies were getting £13 ph around 15 years ago, I was working for Miller homes at the time, and they were bringing in people from Mitie, on £13 ph then, they were useless mind, so I can believe those rates now.

Just bought a new pH tester - Going to more carefully measure the pH around the lawn, and then buy 25kg of sulphur granules to get the pH to around 6.5
Can't be arsed waiting for 3 years for this compost to have an effect, I need something to deter the poa annua right fecking now.

Been on US Amazon too, looking at Tenacity. £100 delivered. As long as it gets through customs, that would give me enough to apply 2 x 2 times per year (spring and Autumn) for about the next 10 years lol. It will will stop any seeds germinating, but it doesn't stop perrenial rye or fescue. £100 is a lot though.

Anyone had issues with biting bugs in their lawn? We are all getting bitten on ankles and feet. No pets so wouldnt be fleas.. just wondered if new lawns have anything like that mooching about?

Anyone had issues with biting bugs in their lawn? We are all getting bitten on ankles and feet. No pets so wouldnt be fleas.. just wondered if new lawns have anything like that mooching about?
Yes I’ve been getting bitten to buggery but not sure if that’s cos I’m in weeding the beds at the same time. Not sure if it might be spiders as some are coming up as nasty bites.

Back