Cutting the Grass

Yes I’ve been getting bitten to buggery but not sure if that’s cos I’m in weeding the beds at the same time. Not sure if it might be spiders as some are coming up as nasty bites.

Suppose its prime time for spiders and stuff.. they are everywhere. I had a cat once that had fleas often.. these are similar bites

First batch of sulphur went on last night in my attempt to lower the pH from 8.5 to under 7. The more I read, the more its clear that fescues and perrenial ryes don't cope will in alkaline soil, but Poa Annua loves it.
Got 25Kg of the stuff. About 5-6 went down this time. Its granual, so will take a few wettings to get it in. To help, I've just been out with the spike roller (hard work today as the ground is drier than I though) and also applied some wetting agent and seaweed.

No idea if it'll work - I've been told that if there's Calcium Carbonate in the soil, then realistically it will never lower the pH. But its only 30 quid, and if nothing else it'll put some sulphur in the ground that plants like. (We used to get loads of sulphur via rain - from the smoke from burning coal - but we don't get any these days)

any top tips on that one?
We are just about at the time of winding the lawn down and preparing it for autumn/winter. You can put some lawn sand down which will kill the moss. When you get a few dry days it’ll need scarifying and aerating.

Depends innit it’s still warm enough as to whether you overseed it. I’ve seen some videos that say to do it about now.

I regretted doing a little raking the other day. Was still damp and it just pulled the grass.

Last edited:
Anyone use any decent reasonable lawncare companies?

theyre robbers, and expensive. Avoid Greenthumb. They charged me £118 for 90m2 just to scarify. Lad came and asked me if it was ok. I said No can you go over it again. He did and got another 2 sacks of thatch. You have to remove bags yourself.

4 days later I took a closer look and removed a further 3 bags.

Next spring I'm hiring a petrol scarifier and doing it myself. In Durham hire is £45 per day

theyre robbers, and expensive. Avoid Greenthumb. They charged me £118 for 90m2 just to scarify. Lad came and asked me if it was ok. I said No can you go over it again. He did and got another 2 sacks of thatch. You have to remove bags yourself.

4 days later I took a closer look and removed a further 3 bags.

Next spring I'm hiring a petrol scarifier and doing it myself. In Durham hire is £45 per day
What I’ve noticed with some ‘gardeners’ is that they come in shite weather as that’s the day the customer has. So basically they are churning the grass up or pulling the roots.

Some professionals leave the lawns in a right state.
Dandelions have taken over one of my lawns this year, what’s the best way to prep so same doesn’t happen next year?
Lawn sand and then scarify. Scarify it deep.

Back