Cutting the Grass

What I’ve noticed with some ‘gardeners’ is that they come in shite weather as that’s the day the customer has. So basically they are churning the grass up or pulling the roots.

Some professionals leave the lawns in a right state.

Lawn sand and then scarify. Scarify it deep.

I've gardened for getting on 50yrs, 2 lawns. Beds, borders and Baskets, Tubs and Troughs. Flowers everywhere.

Lawn I treat basic, nowt fancy. I scarify hard, around 3 days after first cut, sometime in Spring when I know grass has started growing. I know the soil is perfect because I had both lawns laid on good topsoil brought in.

After scafifying I dress with Westlands 'Safelawn' because it is a feed with grass seed incorporated. I works well if you do it when you know its going to rain.

When you see the difference and know the seed has germinated, I feed with a high Nitrogen fertilizer every4-5 weeks, always watching out for rain. More often than not I do it in the rain. Use my own rotary spreader.

I dont take any notice of dosage, I get a bag that will cover 240m2 and put it all on

I've gardened for getting on 50yrs, 2 lawns. Beds, borders and Baskets, Tubs and Troughs. Flowers everywhere.

Lawn I treat basic, nowt fancy. I scarify hard, around 3 days after first cut, sometime in Spring when I know grass has started growing. I know the soil is perfect because I had both lawns laid on good topsoil brought in.

After scafifying I dress with Westlands 'Safelawn' because it is a feed with grass seed incorporated. I works well if you do it when you know its going to rain.

When you see the difference and know the seed has germinated, I feed with a high Nitrogen fertilizer every4-5 weeks, always watching out for rain. More often than not I do it in the rain. Use my own rotary spreader.

I dont take any notice of dosage, I get a bag that will cover 240m2 and put it all on
Some good advice there, cheers

We are just about at the time of winding the lawn down and preparing it for autumn/winter. You can put some lawn sand down which will kill the moss. When you get a few dry days it’ll need scarifying and aerating.

Depends innit it’s still warm enough as to whether you overseed it. I’ve seen some videos that say to do it about now.

I regretted doing a little raking the other day. Was still damp and it just pulled the grass.
Septembers the month to overseed, it has a bit time to germinate and enough rain and heat to establish itself before the frosts start to hit, October would be too late.
Need to get mine done and get some decent topsoil over the top if I have time, it's way too patchy in dry weather.

Logon or register to see this image

That was cut Monday night and already a good 2cm’s.
Completely clear of moss, weeds and bloody ant nests. Reckon I will be cutting a few more times this year then airing with the good old fashioned fork.
The front is in desperate need of a cut, but needs drying out.
Looks absolutely spot on, that.

I lowered the cut on mine to 1.5cm so that I could scarify it. Managed to get it done on Monday and then some autumn/winter fertiliser and another batch of sulphur to lower the pH.
Seen absolutely millions of daddy long legs recently, so I've bought some nematodes to put down to kill off any leatherjackets that might have been laid. Turned up today, so its in the fridge for now - going to get that down this evening.

Hoping the lawn will be back to its best after I get back from holidays in 2 weeks.

Looks absolutely spot on, that.

I lowered the cut on mine to 1.5cm so that I could scarify it. Managed to get it done on Monday and then some autumn/winter fertiliser and another batch of sulphur to lower the pH.
Seen absolutely millions of daddy long legs recently, so I've bought some nematodes to put down to kill off any leatherjackets that might have been laid. Turned up today, so its in the fridge for now - going to get that down this evening.

Hoping the lawn will be back to its best after I get back from holidays in 2 weeks.

You are an expert at it.

What am I supposed to be looking at? The grass looks a bit beaten up.
it's partly the stupid filter that I used, it brightens up the centre of the image and it's like exaggerating the dark bits around the edges of the image 🤦🏻
..and it's partly because it's a football pitch that gets used. I keep it short short because I roll bowls and put golf balls out there but on a Friday night me and a few lads will come round and have a few bottles and hit penalties. 🤣

it's partly the stupid filter that I used, it brightens up the centre of the image and it's like exaggerating the dark bits around the edges of the image 🤦🏻
..and it's partly because it's a football pitch that gets used. I keep it short short because I roll bowls and put golf balls out there but on a Friday night me and a few lads will come round and have a few bottles and hit penalties. 🤣
I did wonder if it was the video that made it look funny.
You are an expert at it.
I wish. Still miles away from being happy with mine.

well it is a bit hacky there because when I mowed the front my rotary blade hit the drain and actually knocked the blade on the piss! Sparks and everything. So now with the blade on the piss it's actually cutting the grass lower than the absolute lowest setting, if you know what I mean.
Will do for a last couple of cuts this year then will be looking at a cylinder mower with rollers next year.

I think that is the problem, where is perfection?
Lucky here having really good soil and the dog always does his business in the fields :)
In addition partial sunshine which definitely suits the lawn in mid summer.

The front definitely suffers more with moss issues as shaded with trees and doesn’t get sun until the afternoon.
Some dead areas that need reseeding before winter.
Great though being outdoors.

I know what you mean.
The kids had a goal net out the front. Outgrown now and they go down the park. Used to get plenty of patches near the goal mouth.
Miss Friday nights, wine in hand playing footie with them :(

Bottles and all of a sudden you think you can bend the ball into the top corner 😂

Last edited:
On my computer now, rather than my phone, and I see what the problem was now. There's a lot of blurring, possibly from the twitter alogrythm making everything lose its definition, and those areas looked a bit crappy.
Now I look more closely on a bigger screen, and spot the odd moment where all the detail is actually shown, it looks ace :)

@ighty seven

On my computer now, rather than my phone, and I see what the problem was now. There's a lot of blurring, possibly from the twitter alogrythm making everything lose its definition, and those areas looked a bit crappy.
Now I look more closely on a bigger screen, and spot the odd moment where all the detail is actually shown, it looks ace :)

@ighty seven
aye, defo coming thru a dodgy resolution on that twitter one compared to the vid on my phone.

Back