Cutting the Grass

Was going to overseed today but looking at the weather forecast I think I'll hold for another week or so. Night temperatures looking like they'll creep above 5°C.

Cut and raked the front after putting weed and feed on a few weeks back. Looks bare as owt now, need to get some top soil and seed down in places.

Should have seen the piles of dead grass and moss I raked up. Had fun using the garden hoover on it though

Does grass seed go off? Gotta open box, been in the garage for about a year.

Cheers
It'll be slightly less viable each year, but usually 3 years is still "ok".

And f***ing hailstones this morning man. Still looks like 1-5C overnight temps all next week too - in bloody May. I might have to put off putting my seed down for yet another week.
I told the missus the kids only had to stay off the lawn for 2-3 weeks. 3 weeks ago. And now its going to be another 4.

So it turns out if you don’t check your sump pump then level your lawn and put the sprinkler on, there’s a good chance it’ll flood. I was a bit of an idiot and blocked the float switch with one of the input french drain pipes meaning it could never switch on. Next step, swamp for a lawn again. So it’s now been corrected, I’m probably going to have to re-level that bit of the lawn when it eventually dries out.

If I was to do it again I’d definitely spend more time and dig more trenches to put the pump someone more accessible than under a bit of the grass.

I chucked some compost around it since that was all I had to hand, hopefully that’ll help it dry out a level a bit but I’ll have to wait and see. Good job my wife was out.

Aaaahhhnnnnd more hailstones & snow.
5th May
FFS!

In other news:
Good: Aerator roller finally arrived
Bad: I have to screw every single spike in manually
FFS! :lol:

This weather is doing fuck all for my grass seed! Temperatures look to be getting above 10 from Saturday finally so hopefully I’ll get some results.
Aye, I've been watching the forecasts like a hawk. Saturday morning is the last <3C by the looks of it, then it gets warmer both days and nights. Not sunny and dry, but we don't need that - just over 10C soil temps.

Used my spike roller aerator yesterday - built it up after work and went to have a quick try. Worked really well so kept going.
Had to push my foot on the metal bar a couple of times when it got stuck. And then, oops, my foot slipped when I was pressing on it, and yep, drove my foot into one of the spikes.

Oh well, at least my tetanus is up to date for the next 10 years.

Aye, I've been watching the forecasts like a hawk. Saturday morning is the last <3C by the looks of it, then it gets warmer both days and nights. Not sunny and dry, but we don't need that - just over 10C soil temps.

Used my spike roller aerator yesterday - built it up after work and went to have a quick try. Worked really well so kept going.
Had to push my foot on the metal bar a couple of times when it got stuck. And then, oops, my foot slipped when I was pressing on it, and yep, drove my foot into one of the spikes.

Oh well, at least my tetanus is up to date for the next 10 years.
Wellies with stab proof soles are available now. Got a pair when I worked at a civil engineer firm.

I'm going to have to give mine a cut tomorrow or the established grass is going to take over and starve the seedlings.

Front and back grass getting loads of dandelions. I tried digging the roots out about 5 years ago but it ended up looking like the moon with craters all over. Since then I just pull the bulbs (oooer) off and use the weed killer lawn spray but they’re still going strong. What’s the next step?

Wellies with stab proof soles are available now. Got a pair when I worked at a civil engineer firm.
I've got some perfectly good walking boots that would have done the job.
But I'm just an idiot.

An idiot with a puncture wound through his foot. 2 trips to hospital ffs lol

Front and back grass getting loads of dandelions. I tried digging the roots out about 5 years ago but it ended up looking like the moon with craters all over. Since then I just pull the bulbs (oooer) off and use the weed killer lawn spray but they’re still going strong. What’s the next step?
A Half-Nelson, a nipple twist and a slam-down. The weeds are guaranteed to tap out.

Back