Cutting the Grass

all my low points that I levelled with topsoil and seeded are now showing shoots of life.
Just got in, took 2 hours off work to cut it, then 2 passes with the spike roller, then a heavy overseed.
Got the fungus stuff to sprinkle in later if I get a chance. Then I want to nip out for some bags of compost to top dress with.

On the plus side, I managed not to drive a massive spike through my foot this time (Wore proper boots)

Just got in, took 2 hours off work to cut it, then 2 passes with the spike roller, then a heavy overseed.
Got the fungus stuff to sprinkle in later if I get a chance. Then I want to nip out for some bags of compost to top dress with.

On the plus side, I managed not to drive a massive spike through my foot this time (Wore proper boots)
Mine needs all that.

Cheers Bill. Let me know as its taking over especially in last 7 days
It's evil stuff once it gets a grip.
I've just rechecked mine any some areas seem totally clear and others have the odd bit still lingering.
I've used a mixture of maxicrop lawn tonic and moss killer ( seaweed), resolva lawn weed killer and then I think the main one was dicophar but the sheds a tip at the moment and that might be an old one.
Ivetalso given it a hit with some ancient and now illegal cloverkill.
One or a mix of all has helped enormously plus all the grass is a lot stronger now with moss killing, scarifying and feeding etc which probably also helps.
Good luck with it, I'm still on a mission and born to kill.

The Poa Annua / Annual Meadow Grass seeds are bloody everywhere mind. Seed heads everywhere you look.

Going to be a hard slog to get rid of this stuff.

Cut the back yesterday and applied weed and feed to the main lawn, I removed 174 dandelions before I got cracking, yes I counted and yes I hate them. I think the frost has knackered the seed I put down for the patches but I’ll get that done again over the next few days.

I bought some lilies from pity me nursery last summer and amazingly they are growing back amongst other things, I cut them back and thought I’d chance it but 2 of 3 have sprouted again which is canny.

Cut the front this morning and planted some gladioli bulbs, front planter is starting to look canny as well.

Dragged my arse out last night and top-dressed with 2 types of compost (from the new Home Bargains Garden Centre in Peterlee!)
One bag was canny, once I'd broken it all up, it was very fine and it went in nicely - On the pics, you can see that's the lighter brown
The other bag was a well known brand (not that I remember it now of course). It was all rooty and didn't go in anywhere near as well, that's the darker one.

250L all in all, and I didn't do the 1/4 of the garden on the right hand side, where the kids swing/slide it - thought it might be a good experiment to compare the 2 sides in a few years time.

Logon or register to see this image

Meant to say - 250L is what, 1/3 of a dumpy bag? And really, its barely covered the surface. When it comes to levelling it (maybe next spring?), I'm going to need 3 dumpy bags!

Last edited:
Dragged my arse out last night and top-dressed with 2 types of compost (from the new Home Bargains Garden Centre in Peterlee!)
One bag was canny, once I'd broken it all up, it was very fine and it went in nicely - On the pics, you can see that's the lighter brown
The other bag was a well known brand (not that I remember it now of course). It was all rooty and didn't go in anywhere near as well, that's the darker one.

250L all in all, and I didn't do the 1/4 of the garden on the right hand side, where the kids swing/slide it - thought it might be a good experiment to compare the 2 sides in a few years time.

Meant to say - 250L is what, 1/3 of a dumpy bag? And really, its barely covered the surface. When it comes to levelling it (maybe next spring?), I'm going to need 3 dumpy bags!

Good work mate. In two weeks in this weather that will be lush with little shoots.

My front is looking nice now. Will try and get a pic. Getting a new patio in two weeks so testing the SBK stuff on the grass that will be getting dug up. If it doesnt kill it off, will spread it all over the front to kill the creeping charlie

Good work mate. In two weeks in this weather that will be lush with little shoots.

My front is looking nice now. Will try and get a pic. Getting a new patio in two weeks so testing the SBK stuff on the grass that will be getting dug up. If it doesnt kill it off, will spread it all over the front to kill the creeping charlie

My front is ok, but I'm still going to cut, scarify, spike and overseed again today/tomorrow - just for the crack :lol: (going to turn the compost bin too, and add loads more brown material, as the stuff I've used in the beds is manky as fuck tbh!)

Annoying, the first batch of seed had started coming through before I had a chance to get the spike roller on it the other day, and so I've smothered and bothered that batch a little bit - but hey, it'll still grow back through in the most part I think - plus I overseeded with about twice as much as last time - so now the weather is warmer and wet, it should fly through now.

Fingers crossed.
Oh ffs
Just cut the front grass, and yep, the middle 1/3 is riddled with PoA seed heads. FML

Last edited:
I’ve tried a patch of mine on short, still no good. There are clearly still a lot of gaps that aren’t visible when the leaves are longer. I’ll see how this gets in the next couple of weeks before I see if I need to over-seed again.

Managed to nip out and do the front again.
Very close cut, deep scarify, spike roller, heavy overseed, light brushing in and a dose of Root Success Mycorrhizal Fungi
Hoping for some nice rain shortly to get it going.

Back