Cutting the Grass

Front and back grass getting loads of dandelions. I tried digging the roots out about 5 years ago but it ended up looking like the moon with craters all over. Since then I just pull the bulbs (oooer) off and use the weed killer lawn spray but they’re still going strong. What’s the next step?
You need a proper selective weed killer. Some need a license to use in theory but you can usually order from eBay no questions asked.

I'm going to have to give mine a cut tomorrow or the established grass is going to take over and starve the seedlings.

Had to do the same mate
I don’t think the lawn stuff kills the root, so it will take the top off for a while but the root will grow back. Could be wrong.

Weedol lawn has kept dandys off my front and back for 4 years now. Its the creeping charlie that i cant get rid of. Dicamba based stuff doesnt work

Last edited:
Front and back cut again.

Tried doing the back on the lowest but the top soil was too much so I changed to medium. I just need to find that balance where I can keep the grass at a level that’s healthy but not let it go so long that it out competes the seedlings. Which to my surprise, considering this weather, are starting to show themselves on some of the patches.

Front cut and scarified again, it’s really thick thatch so a machine would have been useful but I think I’ve got 90% of it now over 3 goings over, loads of moss taken out too. Overseeded that and gave it a layer of compost to cover the seeds. I’m now waiting on my wife getting home to me getting a telling that I’ve ruined the front lawn top of the back. :lol:

Front and back cut again.

Tried doing the back on the lowest but the top soil was too much so I changed to medium. I just need to find that balance where I can keep the grass at a level that’s healthy but not let it go so long that it out competes the seedlings. Which to my surprise, considering this weather, are starting to show themselves on some of the patches.

Front cut and scarified again, it’s really thick thatch so a machine would have been useful but I think I’ve got 90% of it now over 3 goings over, loads of moss taken out too. Overseeded that and gave it a layer of compost to cover the seeds. I’m now waiting on my wife getting home to me getting a telling that I’ve ruined the front lawn top of the back. :lol:
My next run will be finished off with a light covering of compost too. Planning on throwing it on at various points over the year. I know 75% will rot away, but hoping to slowly level the lawn with it over the next 2 years.

My next run will be finished off with a light covering of compost too. Planning on throwing it on at various points over the year. I know 75% will rot away, but hoping to slowly level the lawn with it over the next 2 years.

That’s my plan for my back lawn, more so for breaking up the clay rather than levelling though. If it’s forecast a few days rain so we won’t get use of the it ill chuck a couple of bags of compost on it.

That’s my plan for my back lawn, more so for breaking up the clay rather than levelling though. If it’s forecast a few days rain so we won’t get use of the it ill chuck a couple of bags of compost on it.
Yep, mine is horrific clay.
Hence the compost on the top, let the worms take it down for me.

That's the main aim. If it also helps to level a bit, then bonus. Might need some top soil in September or next March though.

Not been able to get it cut for a week or two due to rain and building a new shed.
The bloody lawns gone feral! Just cut it this morning and almost need a scythe, it's been perfect growing weather the last week.
Anyway it's that time of year now and the lawn looks like a termite farm, the ants have been busy and I've got about a dozen or more nests back and front.
Every year I tackle them but not without damaging the lawn.
What's everyone's preferred option and no I haven't yet tried lion shit.

Not been able to get it cut for a week or two due to rain and building a new shed.
The bloody lawns gone feral! Just cut it this morning and almost need a scythe, it's been perfect growing weather the last week.
Anyway it's that time of year now and the lawn looks like a termite farm, the ants have been busy and I've got about a dozen or more nests back and front.
Every year I tackle them but not without damaging the lawn.
What's everyone's preferred option and no I haven't yet tried lion shit.

Only ever had ants on patio. Never had nests ij the grass etc. My front is growing quick now, still a few patches where ive tried to get rid of creeping charlie. Few parts where that has got out of control. Trying some knew stuff this week. SBK? Got triclopyr in it which is one of the only things that will get rid of it

Grass seed from March is actually growing now.
Still going to run the spike roller over everything and then overseed again though. Might do it this afternoon actually, if I can get out of work for a bit.

Only ever had ants on patio. Never had nests ij the grass etc. My front is growing quick now, still a few patches where ive tried to get rid of creeping charlie. Few parts where that has got out of control. Trying some knew stuff this week. SBK? Got triclopyr in it which is one of the only things that will get rid of it
Struggled with creeping Charlie for years but seem to be top side of it now but can't tell you what's been successful as there's normally a cocktail of different stuff put on it. The seaweed stuff does tend to hold it at bay though.
Still not completely clear of it and just need to be vigilant when cutting the grass to spot it and treat it again. I think the stuff I used last year which helped may have had triclops in it, I'll check the shed later.

Sick of it being sunny in the day whilst I’m working and then raining just as I finish :lol: Never going to get it cut at this rate.
That's been the problem, but working from home now so took the opportunity to have an early lunch break before this afternoon's forecast rain comes.
If it holds off I might just get the membrane stuck into the new shed roof.

Struggled with creeping Charlie for years but seem to be top side of it now but can't tell you what's been successful as there's normally a cocktail of different stuff put on it. The seaweed stuff does tend to hold it at bay though.
Still not completely clear of it and just need to be vigilant when cutting the grass to spot it and treat it again. I think the stuff I used last year which helped may have had triclops in it, I'll check the shed later.

Cheers Bill. Let me know as its taking over especially in last 7 days

Grass seed from March is actually growing now.
Still going to run the spike roller over everything and then overseed again though. Might do it this afternoon actually, if I can get out of work for a bit.
all my low points that I levelled with topsoil and seeded are now showing shoots of life.

Back