Cuba

Status
Not open for further replies.

If I had a quid for everytime I've ready that over the last 10 years :lol:

Cuba is ace, been twice and would go back. If you want to be in/near Havanna, I couldn't advise on hotels, but if you are happy to be out of the way, then Melia Las Dunas is cracking. Or at least it was back when we went (when it had just opened). It was unbelievably cheap at the time.

Mexico is excellent too. Riu Palaces are nice.
The National both times I've stayed there. Round the pool was like The Last King of Scotland. :lol:

Been twice, both times to the cayos
Cayo coco was lovely but Guillermo was better. They do make the most out of not having a lot.
We did a few days in Havana too on a trip and we tripped to Trinidad to swim with the Dolphins too. Lovely holidays with as much or as little as you want to do. The sports fishing is the best I have ever done.

anyone been?

I have a big birthday in September so fancying around 10 days someone nice and hot and been recommended Cuba it's either that or Mexico, anyone got any recommendations of any hotels?

Aye it's f***ing brilliant. Havana is class. We stopped in the sandals resort. No idea if it's still there as it was 12 years ago.

Aye us anarl, went to the sports bar for the gritty 0-0 draw at manure few years ago.
I used to like a stroll up the others just for a beer and change of scenery when needing a break from sun bathing :lol:
See, I just went to the air con piano bar and got waited on with cocktails until I was more drunk that hot, then went back sunbathing :lol:

f***ing best holiday ever!

It was the Playacar Riu Palace Mexico that we stayed in. There's 3 other Riu's on that developement, although I didn't see much need to go from our 5* to the 4*, except for the sports bar over the road.

That hotel was amazing though. It had a major refit in the last couple of years too. Sigh, I wish I could go back. But kids.

Take them with you. I've taken mine to Playa del Carmen before. Lovely little resort that one if anyone is fancying Mexico.

Take them with you. I've taken mine to Playa del Carmen before. Lovely little resort that one if anyone is fancying Mexico.

Might take her when she's 3+, but not doing a mid-summer long haul right now. Unless its to go and see my dad in the states (I can rationalise that as a family thing not purely a holiday for my own sake). She's going to Spain in October with us, when she'll be 21 months. We went to the same place a few months back and she wasn't a bit of bother - she's cracking :)

And anyway, the hotel I mentioned was adults only. It was bloody great.

Havana's wonderful, but get inland and there's some great places too. If you're looking for an all inclusive resort type place then Varadero will be right up your street.

As for Mexico, the only place I've been that I've really enjoyed is Isla Mujeras - a ferry trip from Cancun, with loads of small hotels and bars off the beaten track.

Over the years I've been to Cuba a fee times and lived there for a short while and saw so many changes each time so I can only repeat everyone else's words in saying go and see what it is like now it changes so much so quickly.

I loved Cuba like. Went at Christmas a few years back. Trinidad was my favourite place, but its all really interesting learning about the revolution and seeing Che's grave and that. And Havana Club cheap as cheesy chips :cool:

Reactions: PTR
Another vote for Cuba. Havana is a must see, we stayed in a hotel on the malecon (sp?). I preferred Cuba to Mexico as a destination just because of Havana ( though preferred the direct flight to Mexico on a Dreamliner).

People are good in both places but they were probably more genuinely friendly in Cuba.

Another vote for Cuba. Havana is a must see, we stayed in a hotel on the malecon (sp?). I preferred Cuba to Mexico as a destination just because of Havana ( though preferred the direct flight to Mexico on a Dreamliner).

People are good in both places but they were probably more genuinely friendly in Cuba.
Aye, the people in Cuba were ace.

I just got back from Mexico last week. Been a couple of times, best holidays we have had.
I'm also looking for late Sept. and was thinking Cuba or Mexico but it's peak hurricane season then and I think it's been a few years since there's been a good battering so it's due one....so I'm going towards Cape Verde and bank some money for Costa Rica next year.

I've been wanting to Cuba for a few years and his might be the year. Looked at it for February, but didn't for a few reasons.

1 - what's the best time of year to go, avoiding rain and heat waves?
2- how easy is it to book it all yourself, rather than a package/guided tour? I'd usually just get flights and hotel separately over the Internet but given we want to travel around and guide books seem to say you might want to get off the beaten track, I wasn't sure if going it alone might be the best option.

Might take her when she's 3+, but not doing a mid-summer long haul right now. Unless its to go and see my dad in the states (I can rationalise that as a family thing not purely a holiday for my own sake). She's going to Spain in October with us, when she'll be 21 months. We went to the same place a few months back and she wasn't a bit of bother - she's cracking :)

And anyway, the hotel I mentioned was adults only. It was bloody great.
Get your old man to meet you down there and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I've been wanting to Cuba for a few years and his might be the year. Looked at it for February, but didn't for a few reasons.

1 - what's the best time of year to go, avoiding rain and heat waves?
2- how easy is it to book it all yourself, rather than a package/guided tour? I'd usually just get flights and hotel separately over the Internet but given we want to travel around and guide books seem to say you might want to get off the beaten track, I wasn't sure if going it alone might be the best option.
http://www.cubarocks.co.uk/when-to-visit-cuba

I actually went on a package, but I'm sure you could do it independently and probably far cheaper than a package. We went on a local bus when we went out. Just get flights to Havana, research where you want to go and book local accommodation. That would be the way I'd do it if I went back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back