Cuba

anyone been?

I have a big birthday in September so fancying around 10 days someone nice and hot and been recommended Cuba it's either that or Mexico, anyone got any recommendations of any hotels?

Stayed at the telegrapho in havana, perfect for people watching if you get a room at the front with a balcony. All the usual AI chain hotels at Varedeo so just go with your favourite one. Nice little town a short cycle ride to experience local culture anarl, watching crazy golf and stuff in the big park there a hoot!
Havana is a must do before it changes

anyone been?

I have a big birthday in September so fancying around 10 days someone nice and hot and been recommended Cuba it's either that or Mexico, anyone got any recommendations of any hotels?
Cuba was class,we stayed in the Iberostar in Varadero,lots to do and it can be any holiday you want it to be really. Didn't fancy Mexico at the time like

Was supposed to go a few years back and was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately the trip got moved to Jamaica two days before we were due to depart.

Havent been to either but some of me in-laws really rate the Bahia Principe Luxury Akumal in Mexico . Been 3 years running ( this year you can go direct from Newcastle ) . They do the AI and seems there isnt a great deal going on outside the complex in terms of sightseeing but there are excursions to be had . Evidently there are 3 different hotels on the complex but if you are in the Luxury Akumal you have access to all facilities which you dont have if you stay in the other 2

Havent been to either but some of me in-laws really rate the Bahia Principe Luxury Akumal in Mexico . Been 3 years running ( this year you can go direct from Newcastle ) . They do the AI and seems there isnt a great deal going on outside the complex in terms of sightseeing but there are excursions to be had . Evidently there are 3 different hotels on the complex but if you are in the Luxury Akumal you have access to all facilities which you dont have if you stay in the other 2
Been recommend this already

Amazing place, Havana especially. Go now before the Americans change it.
If I had a quid for everytime I've ready that over the last 10 years :lol:

Cuba is ace, been twice and would go back. If you want to be in/near Havanna, I couldn't advise on hotels, but if you are happy to be out of the way, then Melia Las Dunas is cracking. Or at least it was back when we went (when it had just opened). It was unbelievably cheap at the time.

Mexico is excellent too. Riu Palaces are nice.

If I had a quid for everytime I've ready that over the last 10 years :lol:

Cuba is ace, been twice and would go back. If you want to be in/near Havanna, I couldn't advise on hotels, but if you are happy to be out of the way, then Melia Las Dunas is cracking. Or at least it was back when we went (when it had just opened). It was unbelievably cheap at the time.

Mexico is excellent too. Riu Palaces are nice.
been looking at them anarl

been looking at them anarl
The good thing about riu's is that when there are a few of them together you can use the facilities and eat and drink in all of them. Did this at playacar and was nice to have a stroll to a different hotel but still be AI !
handy there for ferry over to cozomel or get the bus down the strip of main cancun to catch the ferry by the lagoon over to isla mujeres which is brilliant:cool:
Been to the west coast of mexico anarl but orefer this side and been twice there

The good thing about riu's is that when there are a few of them together you can use the facilities and eat and drink in all of them. Did this at playacar and was nice to have a stroll to a different hotel but still be AI !
handy there for ferry over to cozomel or get the bus down the strip of main cancun to catch the ferry by the lagoon over to isla mujeres which is brilliant:cool:
Been to the west coast of mexico anarl but orefer this side and been twice there

It was the Playacar Riu Palace Mexico that we stayed in. There's 3 other Riu's on that developement, although I didn't see much need to go from our 5* to the 4*, except for the sports bar over the road.

That hotel was amazing though. It had a major refit in the last couple of years too. Sigh, I wish I could go back. But kids.

Absolutely amazing place, you'll love it but I hope the Americans haven't started swarming there. Stayed at a hotel near the Bay of Oranges and it was just phenomenal, would go back at the drop of a hat.

It was the Playacar Riu Palace Mexico that we stayed in. There's 3 other Riu's on that developement, although I didn't see much need to go from our 5* to the 4*, except for the sports bar over the road.

That hotel was amazing though. It had a major refit in the last couple of years too. Sigh, I wish I could go back. But kids.
Aye us anarl, went to the sports bar for the gritty 0-0 draw at manure few years ago.
I used to like a stroll up the others just for a beer and change of scenery when needing a break from sun bathing :lol:

Guadalavaca (save the cow) in Holguin province is where we stayed and had an amazing time .. took a add on excursion to Havana and had one of the best lunch times I can ever recall there..its old, run down but in Havana the rum factory tour is a must and the bar next door to it. They don't have money, are very poor but what a nice friendly people. We took writing paper ,pens ,pencils ,erasers and writing books as they desperately need them ..The Canadians who stayed where we stayed " Las Brisas" had been a few time before and took clothes for the Cubans...a months pay for a shirt..
Logon or register to see this image

Back