Cuba

Absolutely loved Cuba but hated Havana. We flew from where we stayed to Havana for the day, best thing we did I would have hated staying there.

We stayed in the paradisus Rio de oro? Summit like that. The locals are superb but Havana was full of immigrants.

Bump...I know, look at me.

Just booked up for a week in Cuba in November. I gather there's loads to do in Cuba but don't know if I'll ever be Cuba again so want to see a bit more of it.

Current thinking is:
First 4 days in Havana (with 1 of those days spent on a day trip to Vinales)
1 night in Trinidad
1 night in Santa Clara/Cienfuegos
1 more night in Havana then fly back the next day

Is 1 night enough time in Trinidad? If you were in that area for an extra night, what would you do with it - Santa Clara/Cienfuegos/El Nicho/another night in Trinidad/something else?

Just booked up for a week in Cuba in November. I gather there's loads to do in Cuba but don't know if I'll ever be Cuba again so want to see a bit more of it.

Current thinking is:
1 night in Trinidad

Is 1 night enough time in Trinidad? If you were in that area for an extra night, what would you do with it - Santa Clara/Cienfuegos/El Nicho/another night in Trinidad/something else?
Sacrifice a day in Havana and add an extra night elsewhere. Havana is great but you don't need four nights there.

Current thinking is:
1 night in Trinidad

One night is enough in Trinidad.

you can drink the rum like cans of coke.. we stayed in Guadalvaca (save the cow) in Holguin province,at "Las Brizas" to the east of the island. Water sports, horse riding Wind surfing etc and the most friendly people you could wish for. This is the quiet part pof the island but has the much better Dolphins to swim with.. Any one going can bring me back a couple of bottle of Havana Club 7 year old please..I'll pay.

My daughter (no) has just come back from Havana where she was doing a course on documentary film making, not had a chance to talk to her yet (she flew back yesterday to the UK and I flew from China to Taiwan) but she loved it - stayed in a Casa in downtown Havana and she said it was basic but very nice and Havana was a fantastic city with friendly people

Went last year, loved it!
People are great and the whole country is locked in the 50's, it's like a living museum.

The cubans don't grow anything apart from Sugar, Mangos and Guavas so everything is imported to allow the sugar to
be grown for the Rum. A waiter once told be that "lobster and cava are free, carrots are a problem"

I remember standing on a quiet, white sandy beach with me feet in the warm surf, thinking " I can't believe this like"

Also they only have 2 pops, local cola (Red bottle) and a local Sprite type thing (Green bottle), but they're used for everything.

Ask for Coke, get red bottle
Ask for Lemonade, Sprite, diet Sprite, diet lemonde, Fanta, Soda, your get the green bottle

... going back in 4 weeks.

Sacrifice a day in Havana and add an extra night elsewhere. Havana is great but you don't need four nights there.

The way the dates work, I can't really do that. I want to be there for the Friday & Saturday night and need to be back to stay the night before flying out.

The current plan has us there Wed to Sun morning (with Thur at Vinales - wouldn't be against having an overnight around there if Pinar del Rio or somewhere was worth a stay), and back some time on the Tuesday before flying out on the Wed.

On the Sunday, is it worth stopping off at Cienfuegos/Santa Clara for lunch, look around for say 4 hours then on to Trinidad for a night. Then next day go to Cienfuegos/Santa Clara (possibly via El Nicho), stay the night and explore during following day before going back to Havana? Seems a bit of a faff but they're all broadly in the way so would be good to break up the journey.

I'm conscious I can wing it when I'm there but would be good to know the options so I'm not wasting time planning while I'm there.

One night is enough in Trinidad.

Thanks, thought so.

What do you think of the above?

The way the dates work, I can't really do that. I want to be there for the Friday & Saturday night and need to be back to stay the night before flying out.

The current plan has us there Wed to Sun morning (with Thur at Vinales - wouldn't be against having an overnight around there if Pinar del Rio or somewhere was worth a stay), and back some time on the Tuesday before flying out on the Wed.

On the Sunday, is it worth stopping off at Cienfuegos/Santa Clara for lunch, look around for say 4 hours then on to Trinidad for a night. Then next day go to Cienfuegos/Santa Clara (possibly via El Nicho), stay the night and explore during following day before going back to Havana? Seems a bit of a faff but they're all broadly in the way so would be good to break up the journey.

I'm conscious I can wing it when I'm there but would be good to know the options so I'm not wasting time planning while I'm there.

Thanks, thought so.

What do you think of the above?
Yes, it's worth stopping off in Cienfuegos/Santa Clara, when I was there these were pretty quiet, but that was just after a hurricane. Lovely places though.

We hired a mini van to drive from Havana to Trinidad and did exactly as you suggested.

Guadalavaca (save the cow) in Holguin province is where we stayed and had an amazing time .. took a add on excursion to Havana and had one of the best lunch times I can ever recall there..its old, run down but in Havana the rum factory tour is a must and the bar next door to it. They don't have money, are very poor but what a nice friendly people. We took writing paper ,pens ,pencils ,erasers and writing books as they desperately need them ..The Canadians who stayed where we stayed " Las Brisas" had been a few time before and took clothes for the Cubans...a months pay for a shirt..
Logon or register to see this image
That's where I've been. Hotel Brisas in guardalevaca

As happens everywhere bar England, I was mistaken to be a German

Cuba itineraries. Responsible travel guide to the best Cuba itineraries

scroll down the page for some itineries etc

Back