Cuba

anyone been?

I have a big birthday in September so fancying around 10 days someone nice and hot and been recommended Cuba it's either that or Mexico, anyone got any recommendations of any hotels?
Definitely go Cuba mate. Mexico, other than the resorts is an absolute shithole. Cuba is (whilst poor) a really decent place. All the people were super friendly and there isn't a lot of like proper downtrodden places. Everywhere is pretty safe to explore and wander about

Definitely go Cuba mate. Mexico, other than the resorts is an absolute shithole. Cuba is (whilst poor) a really decent place. All the people were super friendly and there isn't a lot of like proper downtrodden places. Everywhere is pretty safe to explore and wander about
Been to Cuba twice (so obviously I really like it) and Mexico once.

I can't think of many reasons to pick Cuba over Mexico tbh. Price, maybe. Food and service was much better in Mexico, but I guess it was a 5* rather than a 4* in Cuba.

Been to Cuba twice (so obviously I really like it) and Mexico once.

I can't think of many reasons to pick Cuba over Mexico tbh. Price, maybe. Food and service was much better in Mexico, but I guess it was a 5* rather than a 4* in Cuba.
Were you on a resort or tourist area of mexico? Cos if it was Havana or mexico city..... I'd try and swim to Havana. Mexico city was f***ing horrid.

Were you on a resort or tourist area of mexico? Cos if it was Havana or mexico city..... I'd try and swim to Havana. Mexico city was f***ing horrid.
Very very much tourist resorts in all 3 cases.
Cayo Santa Maria (Melia Las Dunas Hotel) twice
Playacar (Riu Palace Mexico)

Did a few days out in both cases. Enjoyed the Mexico ones more - Chichen Itza, Xel Ha etc. Havanna was ok but didn't particularly make me want to stay beyond 2 days.

Very very much tourist resorts in all 3 cases.
Cayo Santa Maria (Melia Las Dunas Hotel) twice
Playacar (Riu Palace Mexico)

Did a few days out in both cases. Enjoyed the Mexico ones more - Chichen Itza, Xel Ha etc. Havanna was ok but didn't particularly make me want to stay beyond 2 days.
Ah right, I was working the formula E in Mexico city and honestly probably the biggest shithole I've ever seen in my life. Went exploring to the "better" parts and they weren't much better at all. Whole place reminded me of the purge, ya nar the awkward bit at the start of the movie showing the day before it all kicks off. Everyone looking at each other like somethings about to go down. Everyone asking you 50 questions about why you are drinking in that particular bar, everyone reminding you "you need to go back to your resort" even in the richer areas.

Been a fair few times, loved the place... my first visit was early 90's when there were no direct flights from Europe (apart from an Aeroflot direct flight from Moscow) ...the last time I went was as long ago as 2001 now though; decided then there were too many tourists turning up so wouldn't bother anymore :lol:

For those visiting Havana, make an effort in the evening to get across the main river to the fortress/castle known as La Cabaña which was used just after revolution to house all the political prisoners - they also have a lights out ceremony (I seem to remember each night) that was actually instigated by British troops (a Highland regiment) in the late 18th century when Cuba was briefly in British hands after they captured it from the Spanish... they continued with the tradition till today. Back in the day it was used to alert the inhabitants of Havana that the City was safe for the night (so after lights out)

Can also remember one visit in mid 90's when they had only just started building hotels outside Havana... we ended up somewhere down towards Holguin and stayed the night in a half built building... woke up next morning to a load of shouting in German coming from carpark area at rear of building... turns out to be a company of East German soldiers that were over on jungle warfare training exercises :eek:

you can drink the rum like cans of coke.. we stayed in Guadalvaca (save the cow) in Holguin province,at "Las Brizas" to the east of the island. Water sports, horse riding Wind surfing etc and the most friendly people you could wish for. This is the quiet part pof the island but has the much better Dolphins to swim with.. Any one going can bring me back a couple of bottle of Havana Club 7 year old please..I'll pay.
Morrisons
£20 for 700mls
Not noticed it that cheap before

Been to Mexico five star with the not's so quiet American and the honest not 5 star Cuban resort Cuba win every time fantastic people. Walked all over Havana safe in all areas. Been going since 2000 every second year, the people genuine appreciate that you choose to visit, other Spanish country, Italian, Canadian and us. The bonus no American

Morrisons
£20 for 700mls
Not noticed it that cheap before
£6.00 a litres more like it direct from Cuba:) honestly, we were drinking Havana club like coke at our complex. We ran out of the bottles we brought back and the lad buy us one occasionally but having experienced the rum factory tour in Havana, 7 year old Club from anywhere else other than direct from the island just doesn't have the same ring to it..:) Morrisons, Sainsburys, nah.....

£6.00 a litres more like it direct from Cuba:) honestly, we were drinking Havana club like coke at our complex. We ran out of the bottles we brought back and the lad buy us one occasionally but having experienced the rum factory tour in Havana, 7 year old Club from anywhere else other than direct from the island just doesn't have the same ring to it..:) Morrisons, Sainsburys, nah.....
The 7 is the only spirt I can stomach neat.

Back