Cruzcampo...

They might be owned by Heineken now but they've been around for about 120 years.
For the record, it's always been the cheapest lager here in Spain.
The bars that still do a pint for €1.50 (£1.30) almost always do Cruzcampo.

It's a canny pint though and their 0.0 is about the best alcohol free around.

Yeah, Cruzcampo is probably the worst of the mass produced beers in mainland Spain (don't think I've ever seen it in the Canaries where local beers dominate)

Was on offer in Tesco for £5 for 4 and a free glass . I bought 2 lots more for the glasses tbh . It is on draught in the Tapas restaurant down Hartlepool Marina and has been for a while . Its ok

Well marketed fizzy chemical claptrap (like Moretti), flogged for £5 plus in a glass and the big breweries are laughing themselves silly to the bank.

About two thirds of the folk who drink it probably assume that the gash they buy in their local is genuinely imported from the med.

Astounds me how willingly so many folk in the UK happily drink absolutely lifting beer due to them having an exotic name and fancy glass.

When did the Spanish become the world beaters of lager? :lol:
This is my favourite part of these threads. Spain is a Championship standard producer of lager.
Well marketed fizzy chemical claptrap (like Moretti), flogged for £5 plus in a glass and the big breweries are laughing themselves silly to the bank.

About two thirds of the folk who drink it probably assume that the gash they buy in their local is genuinely imported from the med.

Astounds me how willingly so many folk in the UK happily drink absolutely lifting beer due to them having an exotic name and fancy glass.
There's not really another option in most pubs tbf. Virtually every line is tied up with Heineken/AB InBev/Molson Coors industrial brewed gear.

Interesting shout. I said outside of the craft market though. Camden started out a craft brewery, and not all that long ago. Still relative new boys on the block. Perhaps they've outgrown the craft tag since AB-InBev bought them.

I actually don't like Camden Hells. I think it's canny rough, and not a patch on the German* beers it's based on. I really like Camden Pale though.

I know we started out talking about the Spanish, but it's the Germans who've really mastered the art.

Again, a craft brewer - Robert Plant's boy as it happens. I'm like a pint of Neck Oil. Not a lager by any means. Heineken's bought 'em.

Mastered the art, it’s just lager man ya knacker hew :lol:

Exactly that

Last edited:
Just had a pint of Mahou in Zen and currently in The Promanade having a Cruzcampo both good but the Mahou is better according to my refined palette.

Last edited:
This is my favourite part of these threads. Spain is a Championship standard producer of lager.

There's not really another option in most pubs tbf. Virtually every line is tied up with Heineken/AB InBev/Molson Coors industrial brewed gear.

Which is why a local/regional cask ale is always my first choice. Only drink fizzy lager on holiday or maybe the height of summer here.

its marketing sells the image of a hot evening on a sunset beach with a cold crisp pint, without much care taken over the content of the glass.

bayern is my go to producer of pilsner (et al).

Tbf once upon a time I’d buy the odd pint of lager for a bit of a change from bitter and cider. But now I’ve switched to ale wherever it’s available I wouldn’t dream of buying lager again. I struggle to drink keg anything, let alone something that bland.
It would be like going to a Michelin starred restaurant every day and asking for beans on toast.
This is someone who still drinks Vimto with his tea :rolleyes:

Back