Cricket this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

I do not have a problem with any club raising, and spending money, legally, as they see fit, but there is always a danger to that club when the money, flows in and then, begins to run out.
Noticed yesterday that Brandon, with their, alleged, spending on players, got beat off Gateshead Fell and their second team played with only 8 players.
Other clubs are allegedly paying players, but struggle to put out second teams and juniors.
Debate this point.... what are the priorities at clubs ?
Some want a strong first team, at all costs, whilst others prioritise from the juniors up.

It should be a balance. Have as strong a first team as possible whilst also pushing through junior talent. If your juniors arent strong tbe first team will suffer at at some point down the line anyway.

Also not a fan of teams paying lots of players whilst the facilities are going to shit.

It should be a balance. Have as strong a first team as possible whilst also pushing through junior talent. If your juniors arent strong tbe first team will suffer at at some point down the line anyway.

Also not a fan of teams paying lots of players whilst the facilities are going to shit.
Agree with this comment even more. Several notable examples of clubs having strong teams and poor facilities.
Cannot level that one at Brandon CC. Lovely ground and good facilities.
Also cannot understand clubs paying players to avoid relegation. Take the hit, find your true level and build up from there.

A few NEPL clubs have fielded less than 11 2nd team players on a number of occasions. I can understand that clubs get some one off freak days such as a club wedding / Stag Do etc but I don't think this is the case.

Problem clubs have is that some players refuse to play Saturday's as they know they can play on a Sunday. We have had that issue for 15 years and we have dealt with it by stating we will concede the 3rd team games if we can't field a 2nd team. Luckily we haven't had this problem for a number of years but it did happen.

I personally think we should swap 3rds to Saturday and 2nds to Sunday. More chance of working age lads being available Sunday's and allows the younger junior 3rd teams to play Saturday cricket.

Ercc take on Wearmouth at home today.

Seconds travel to table topping Kimblesworth. Who remain unbeaten in the league so far

Last edited:
Ist won against Sunderland
2nds beat off Sunderland
1sts not doing too bad considering another wedding today and another one in a few weeks time

Spenny 1sts thrashed Barton. Our 2nds had 7 on Saturday morning and had to make the dreaded phone call to concede. 15 out of 33 away on holiday. Not good planning.

Good second win of the season for the firsts, beating Wearmouth by 198 runs. In a slightly I'll tempered game.
Seconds lost by 6 wickets, as expected to undefeated Kimblesworth.
Plus £50 raised for Spennymoor cc through raffle and a club donation.

Good second win of the season for the firsts, beating Wearmouth by 198 runs. In a slightly I'll tempered game.
Seconds lost by 6 wickets, as expected to undefeated Kimblesworth.
Plus £50 raised for Spennymoor cc through raffle and a club donation.

I love an ill tempered game

Anyone heard anything about the Chester le Street v Burnmoor game in the semi final of the Banks Salver last weekend? Heard a rumour that the game may have to be replayed.

Anyone heard anything about the Chester le Street v Burnmoor game in the semi final of the Banks Salver last weekend? Heard a rumour that the game may have to be replayed.
Someone mentioned it tonight that the umpire walked off.

Washington beat Burnmoor tonight to get to finals day.

Someone mentioned it tonight that the umpire walked off.

Washington beat Burnmoor tonight to get to finals day.
Heard the same about the umpire walking off then a replacement was found to do square leg at both ends with the officially appointed umpire doing the bowlers end for the remainder of the game, this however is only possible with the agreement of both teams and from what I hear Burnmoor weren’t consulted and have therefore requested a replay as this is against the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back