Cricket this weekend

Not looking forward to trying to get 2 teams out if England beat Columbia tomorrow
South Yorkshire League has gone for 11am starts this Sat, with an extended tea break. however, Clubs are allowed to agree on a minimum 35 over game as it is possible a game could be finished by the time the footy starts .

Difficult decision for the league. We had teams ready to play but teams conceding
looking at fines and points deduction would be hard on them if you have a limited squad firsts would take priority and could see a number of seconds having difficulty

I do not have a problem with any club raising, and spending money, legally, as they see fit, but there is always a danger to that club when the money, flows in and then, begins to run out.
Noticed yesterday that Brandon, with their, alleged, spending on players, got beat off Gateshead Fell and their second team played with only 8 players.
Other clubs are allegedly paying players, but struggle to put out second teams and juniors.
Debate this point.... what are the priorities at clubs ?
Some want a strong first team, at all costs, whilst others prioritise from the juniors up.

Both Castle Eden teams won today

Lads are flying!

I do not have a problem with any club raising, and spending money, legally, as they see fit, but there is always a danger to that club when the money, flows in and then, begins to run out.
Noticed yesterday that Brandon, with their, alleged, spending on players, got beat off Gateshead Fell and their second team played with only 8 players.
Other clubs are allegedly paying players, but struggle to put out second teams and juniors.
Debate this point.... what are the priorities at clubs ?
Some want a strong first team, at all costs, whilst others prioritise from the juniors up.

Clearly yesterday was an off day for the first team. Muchall was away, but aside from that it was a strong side and Gateshead Fell should be given credit for soundly beating them.

As regards the Seconds, I really don’t have all the answers. I was saying to their lads yesterday, who were all very sympathetic (except the captain who opted to bat first) that we’ve got a pool of about 25 second teamers, but for whatever reason it seems every week that atleast 10 of them are unavailable for whatever reason. Yesterday that 10 was 17 and we were in the shit.

Absolutely fantastic effort from the Brandon 8 however, never lost discipline and never turned ugly. I’ve been in a lot of cricket teams over the years, but that yesterday was a side with as much, if not more backbone than many first team sides. For the record, it took Fell until after 19:00 to seal victory.

Bizzarely, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I suppose I’m used to cruel and painful torture watching Durham of late ;)

Last edited:

Back