Craft Beer

Went to the Hop Knocker and the Holy GrAle in Durham yesterday. Both topper. The latter had the biggest selection of Vault City bottles I've ever seen. Young group of students came in just as we were leaving asking if they had any sours on tap - the times are changing!

Today it's Newcastle to complete my lap of the North East's craft beer offering. Heading to @Ambivalent Squirrel's second home Full Circle, then onto Almasty, Wylam and By The River. Given the weather today I might skip Wylam as I'm not sure I can be arsed to trek up to Jesmond.

I haven't lived in Newcastle since 2016, aside from the ones I've listed, is there anywhere new I should be having a look at? Indoors like!

Went to the Hop Knocker and the Holy GrAle in Durham yesterday. Both topper. The latter had the biggest selection of Vault City bottles I've ever seen. Young group of students came in just as we were leaving asking if they had any sours on tap - the times are changing!

Today it's Newcastle to complete my lap of the North East's craft beer offering. Heading to @Ambivalent Squirrel's second home Full Circle, then onto Almasty, Wylam and By The River. Given the weather today I might skip Wylam as I'm not sure I can be arsed to trek up to Jesmond.

I haven't lived in Newcastle since 2016, aside from the ones I've listed, is there anywhere new I should be having a look at? Indoors like!
Wylam isn’t really that far out of town and it’s definitely worth a visit imo.

Wylam isn’t really that far out of town and it’s definitely worth a visit imo.
Aye I know, I used to live around the corner from it! It feels far from Walkergate though.

I'm a bit put off by the plastic glasses they're serving in at the minute, shite that when you're paying top dollar for a drink. It's still on the maybe list...I'll see how the afternoon goes.

Fancied one on the Free Trade but they're only open outdoors, and I've just seen that the Cumberland Arms is closed for the foreseeable as they've had staff test positive this morning. Gutting for them.

Been a while since I've been out myself but town mouse and mean eyed cat used to be decent

Cracking places lined up there :cool: the new FCBC peach saison on cask is bloody lovely. Almasty stuff fresh on tap is stunning too, grand stuff.
Been a while since I've been out myself but town mouse and mean eyed cat used to be decent
off to both on Sunday. Mean Eyed cat is pretty essential to book, Town Mouse is hit and miss if you can get a seat - if you can, he's an absolute cask evangilist - cask stouts nowhere better in Newcastle :lol:

Last edited:
Finally made it to Vaux, had an order to collect but popped in the taproom for it, swift beer whilst there. Very nice set up, well organised, the Cloudwater Pale was superb, so much so I took a growler away with me.

Only downside was no cask Black Wave on at the time, so still waiting to try it. Have to make do with the cans I bought. Looking forward to trying them as its been tweaked a little since last time.

Finally made it to Vaux, had an order to collect but popped in the taproom for it, swift beer whilst there. Very nice set up, well organised, the Cloudwater Pale was superb, so much so I took a growler away with me.

Only downside was no cask Black Wave on at the time, so still waiting to try it. Have to make do with the cans I bought. Looking forward to trying them as its been tweaked a little since last time.
Cask BW was outstanding mind.

I've just left FCBC. Wow. Blown away by that set up in there, really is a leader of taprooms in the UK. Beers all superb as well and that cask saison was lovely. Can't recommend that place any higher.

Cask BW was outstanding mind.

I've just left FCBC. Wow. Blown away by that set up in there, really is a leader of taprooms in the UK. Beers all superb as well and that cask saison was lovely. Can't recommend that place any higher.

It's f***ing class isn't it. 😎 there's a reason I bang on about it it's a fantastic setup.
Place has had an absolute ton of money put into it. Was talking to an retired brewer in Hopknocker, and he reckons the Canning line alone cost over a million. The staff in there are brilliant too. Josie the taproom manager is good crack, as are the rest of the staff. They honestly look after their regulars really well.

And that cask Saison was cracking. I wasn't expecting it to be that good tbh.

Powered through every offering from Full Circle in Oceans Micro bar (except Repeater). Even tried the Alphonso Mango Sour.

They've got Vaux Citra in so took a couple of them home as I haven't been able to find them for ages.
Aye I know, I used to live around the corner from it! It feels far from Walkergate though.

I'm a bit put off by the plastic glasses they're serving in at the minute, shite that when you're paying top dollar for a drink. It's still on the maybe list...I'll see how the afternoon goes.

Fancied one on the Free Trade but they're only open outdoors, and I've just seen that the Cumberland Arms is closed for the foreseeable as they've had staff test positive this morning. Gutting for them.
Town Mouse is the place to go.
Fancied one on the Free Trade but they're only open outdoors.
Didn't know that, cheers. Will keep an eye on the weather as I've pencilled in a Thursday session there as they have a take over then.
Got that booked for Sunday after all the Covid cancellations in Leeds made us sack the trip off

Last edited:
Powered through every offering from Full Circle in Oceans Micro bar (except Repeater). Even tried the Alphonso Mango Sour.

They've got Vaux Citra in so took a couple of them home as I haven't been able to find them for ages.

Town Mouse is the place to go.

Didn't know that, cheers. Will keep an eye on the weather as I've pencilled in a Thursday session there as they have a take over then.

Got that booked for Sunday after all the Covid cancellations in Leeds made us sack the trip off

Aye, been watching the Free Trade socials for a while. Be all over it when it opens proper.

Im in FCBC on Sunday too, and Mean Eyed Cat, and some bait in Thali Tray in Ouseburn. Hoping to squeeze in Town Mouse too.

I've got a holiday in for Monday like 😃

Aye, been watching the Free Trade socials for a while. Be all over it when it opens proper.

Im in FCBC on Sunday too, and Mean Eyed Cat, and some bait in Thali Tray in Ouseburn. Hoping to squeeze in Town Mouse too.

I've got a holiday in for Monday like 😃
I'm also doing the rounds that way on, and also have Monday off lol

In me field, tent up, had a couple of Norse Star IIs, going to dial it down to Explicit Emphasis now.

This ones the new brew? I’ll pop down Sunday.

It's f***ing class isn't it. 😎 there's a reason I bang on about it it's a fantastic setup.
Place has had an absolute ton of money put into it. Was talking to an retired brewer in Hopknocker, and he reckons the Canning line alone cost over a million. The staff in there are brilliant too. Josie the taproom manager is good crack, as are the rest of the staff. They honestly look after their regulars really well.

And that cask Saison was cracking. I wasn't expecting it to be that good tbh.

I’m going to have to organise a day there. Got a possible baby head wetting. Might see if I can tempt them to go there via mini bus then around Ouseburn. That’s doable isn’t it?

Back