Craft Beer

A cynical person would possibly think the 4 pack is used as cover for them whacking a load of core range beers into Tesco...
Yeah, that was my thoughts as well. Looks like that's going to be the only place to buy their core stuff as they're going back to one off and special brews only at the Manchester brewery, and contracting the core range out to Brewdog.

Doubt it'll have much of an impact really. It'll open them up to more people that know them now, and they're putting 3 other tiny breweries in the shop window, one of which is queer which is good for inclusion in an industry pretty terrible for it.

Whether they should be supporting a company like Tesco that is undercutting the independents and potentially killing the industry is another matter.

They've got a blog post about it on their website: Beer With Big Ideas — Cloudwater Brew Co

Shame that one of the 4 pack is alcohol free.

I think looking at Untapped for example it will have an impact, now I know Untapped isn't always reliable but gives you a very good indicator. Cloudwater currently the 12th highest rated brewery in the UK , I think bringing out Supermarket beers especially ones being made at Brewdog who are very average at best will bring ratings down for them and hurt the reputation they have, again though its all about money and not ratings isn't it.

I think looking at Untapped for example it will have an impact, now I know Untapped isn't always reliable but gives you a very good indicator. Cloudwater currently the 12th highest rated brewery in the UK , I think bringing out Supermarket beers especially ones being made at Brewdog who are very average at best will bring ratings down for them and hurt the reputation they have, again though its all about money and not ratings isn't it.
I think they're probably established enough to not be too bothered by that anymore. They'll still be brewing some of the highest rated beers going, even if their average rating falls off a cliff.

Not sure how I feel about this from Cloudwater, they are the best brewery around for me and I buy from them at least a few times a month, these beers are being made at Brewdog so that makes me doubt how good they will be, it wont hurt them financially doing this obviously but reputation wise I think they could suffer.
They were many years ago. Have been slowly going downhill, are nothing what they used to be like.

They were many years ago. Have been slowly going downhill, are nothing what they used to be like.
I disagree, I think they're the best brewery in the country (across the full range of styles). They had a bit of a blip a couple of years back but since then they've been amazing imo...which makes this, and the way they reacted to the first lockdown, very infuriating.
Vault City going into Tesco...somebody just shoot me!

Last edited:
I’ve got mixed feelings about BrewDog tbh. For many people, myself included they were the “gateway drug” and there’s no disputing that they go out of the way to help the smaller up and coming brewers. A lot of the leftfield brewers I love, I first encountered on the guest lines in Dean street.

There’s also no disputing the level of passion that some of their staff have. I met a bloke in the smaller Manchester bar who had saved a ton of rare stuff in the cellar that he sat and drank with me after his shift when I mentioned I enjoyed some of the LEP stuff they had. Was an expensive, superb night.

Their own beers are definitely hit and miss now, but I guess that’s all part of their journey to the mainstream. The obsession with putting that manky synthetic marshmallow shite flavouring into everything quite clearly is pandering to the Strongbow Dark Fruits mob. For me, they’re ploughing their own furrow - and seem determined to push their way firmly into every bar and supermarket they can. For me, crack on. I’d rather be able to buy a pint of Punk rather than f***ing Carling, even if it is a absolute shadow of its former self. The jury’s still out on their green credentials and marketing bonanza with the Carbon neutral stuff. Will see where that goes.

Craft brewers onto supermarket shelves is a tricky one mind. I completely understand the smaller brewers being wooed by buyers, and being blown away that their stuff is on the shelves. It’s perfectly understandable that the brewers see it as a good way to guarantee a revenue stream. What I will say though, is I know from a couple of online q+a’s that FullCircle have been approached several times and have turned them all down. They’re more than aware that it’s a way to get into more people’s faces - but the prices that the supermarkets wanted to buy for meant that they’d have to compromise drastically on costs and ultimately quality. Knowing the history of FCBC, it’s a luxury they can afford, but less secure brewers would definitely have their heads turned - especially over the last year or two. I guess thats why the CloudWater deal makes superb sense. BrewDog can get the economies of scale to keep the quality at a reasonable level - and that stream of cash can fund the craft side of the business. It’s definitely a better way forward than the path Magic Rock took.

Last edited:

At least sour beers don't have the cold chain needs of these heavy hopped pales/IPAs. Quality control in Tesco is shocking and unless you're buying beers the week or two after release, you're going to be a buying a product that on the way out.

Today’s haul

2x S43 dank moolah
2x S43 threefold
An arpus dipa
An arpus tipa
2x arpus peach and blackberry sour ipa
Kernel brown ale
Kernel galaxy pale
Vault city watermelon session sour
Vault city pie in the sky
Vault city mango inferno

finishing off my perfect draft Stella but I start them

Had a pint of the vault watermelon sour in the isis yesterday, lovely stuff. Wouldn’t mind knowing what the other two vault city are like

I have to say I've tried a few cloud water beers and never been that impressed (especially at the price charged). I'm excited to try the vault City stuff as I really like sours.
Vault City now going into Tesco, its going to end up being a race to the bottom the craft beer industry isn't it.
Not sure it is. Nothing wrong with getting their beer out there. I think people who buy from bottle shops still will, just means people who shop in supermarkets have more choice. Wonder how many people who complain about ethics when it comes to beer act the same with all their shopping.

Last edited:
I have to say I've tried a few cloud water beers and never been that impressed (especially at the price charged). I'm excited to try the vault City stuff as I really like sours.

Not sure it is. Nothing wrong with getting their beer out there. I think people who buy from bottle shops still will, just means people who shop in supermarkets have more choice. Wonder how many people who complain about ethics when it comes to beer act the same with all their shopping.

If the quality is there plenty people will move on from paying £3 a can, to £4 to £5 and onwards for even better stuff. It's a gateway to a whole new world of beer.

If the quality is there plenty people will move on from paying £3 a can, to £4 to £5 and onwards for even better stuff. It's a gateway to a whole new world of beer.
I’m yet to see that come true...for every person they turn on to bottle shops they will be taking more peoples core beer purchases from the bottle shops. Supermarkets aren’t in it to grow a market, they’re in it to increase their share of that market.
While the market was still growing it wasn’t a problem but before covid it had started to contract. Gonna be an interesting year or two I reckon as the whole landscape has changed (not just with supermarkets).
Logon or register to see this image

Don’t see a huge amount from Two By Two on here. Before they moved the brewery they were my favourite north east brewery. They had a bit of a dip but they’re back to their best now I reckon. This has got so much pine it tastes like Mr Sheen. :lol:

Last edited:
I’m yet to see that come true...for every person they turn on to bottle shops they will be taking more peoples core beer purchases from the bottle shops. Supermarkets aren’t in it to grow a market, they’re in it to increase their share of that market.
While the market was still growing it wasn’t a problem but before covid it had started to contract. Gonna be an interesting year or two I reckon as the whole landscape has changed (not just with supermarkets).

It came true for me. I buy fridge fillers from supermarkets and treat myself to a bottle shop periodically. @Longy, you moved up from supermarket stuff to bottle shops?

It came true for me. I buy fridge fillers from supermarkets and treat myself to a bottle shop periodically. @Longy, you moved up from supermarket stuff to bottle shops?
I started with supermarket beers as well so I don’t doubt it happens. The problem is the vast majority of craft beer drinkers used to buy their fridge fillers from beer shops as supermarkets were a bit boring but that’s definitely not the case now.
Doesn’t impact us too much thankfully as we’re more pub than shop.

Had a pint of the vault watermelon sour in the isis yesterday, lovely stuff. Wouldn’t mind knowing what the other two vault city are like
They knock out a couple of beers every two weeks so plenty of variety to pick from. I couldn't drink a pint of any sour though as much as I love them. 2/3rds is enough of one then move on!

Orbit do a very refreshing tzatziki Berliner Weisse (sour) which goes down a treat on a warm afternoon.

I've got a table booked in at the a Beer Merchants Tap on Saturday night. Gunna drink all my covid savings on lambic and gueuze's.

Back