Craft Beer

Genuine question: The price has always put me off those types of beer; I know I like the style and I'd definitely enjoy them but are they really worth the prices they charge in your opinion?
Cantillon? Undoubtably IMO. Personally I prefer De Cam but they’re much more expensive so much harder to justify. There are slightly cheaper alternatives who are almost as good, imo, like Lambiek Fabriek but the style of beer costs a lot of time and money to make so they’ll never be cheap. The biggest problem is that the beers get more expensive as they mature so you can’t grab a bargain as the date approaches (unless you wait 30 years :lol:). A good way of enjoying beers like this is to bottle share imo.
Shove your postcode up we’re coming down mob handed.
😎
I’ll share the pub postcode if that helps? :lol:

Cantillon? Undoubtably IMO. Personally I prefer De Cam but they’re much more expensive so much harder to justify. There are slightly cheaper alternatives who are almost as good, imo, like Lambiek Fabriek but the style of beer costs a lot of time and money to make so they’ll never be cheap. The biggest problem is that the beers get more expensive as they mature so you can’t grab a bargain as the date approaches (unless you wait 30 years :lol:). A good way of enjoying beers like this is to bottle share imo.

I’ll share the pub postcode if that helps? :lol:
Maybe I'll splash out on a couple next time I stick an order in then. Will hit you up for some recommendations/see what you've got in at the time.

Aye, I honestly can’t wait to share it with people tbh.

You’d have done it because you knew it was a good beer so I’d have been happy with that. He went in blind and picked out one of the best beers in there by sheer chance...very annoying. 🤣
See, I’d maybe share with someone who knew what they were talking about. Say someone off here, cos I’ll give them a beer to try & id probably get a good one back with a reason that they think it’s good.

Im not wasting them trying to convert people who aren’t into it already. The appreciation won’t be there. Me dad for example, won’t do anything other than Guinness. Fair enough but why waste a £5-£10 drink when at best, he’ll force it down to please me.
Finished on an Overtone Dusty Miller last night, lovely imperial stout that. Got a bad head again mind, I didn’t realise I was so out of practise.
Never had that

Probably hasn't helped that the most expensive can I've ever bought (Omnipollo Bianca Raspberry Maple Pancake Lassi Gose) wasn't actually that nice so I'm wary of wasting the cash. Obviously less of a risk going for something classic and Belgian.
Maybe go with something like a Rodenbach Alexander, very reasonably priced and very good. Boon are also reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Maybe go with something like a Rodenbach Alexander, very reasonably priced and very good. Boon are also reasonably priced.
I've tried most of the standard Rodenbach and Boon stuff. I'm talking about the stuff that's £20+ a bottle. Like I say, I have no doubt I'd enjoy it but is it really two or three times nicer than, say, Boon Oude Gueze?

I've tried most of the standard Rodenbach and Boon stuff. I'm talking about the stuff that's £20+ a bottle. Like I say, I have no doubt I'd enjoy it but is it really two or three times nicer than, say, Boon Oude Gueze?
I'm in the same boat. Terrified that I'll pull the trigger on a 40 quid bottle of 3 Fonteinen this weekend when pissed. :lol:

It’s not 2 or 3 times nicer, it’s the same with most expensive stuff, the increase in quality isn’t parallel with the increase in price. They’re great as a treat and noticeably better tho. Sounds to me like you should meet up with @James and share a couple of bottles.
I'm in the same boat. Terrified that I'll pull the trigger on a 40 quid bottle of 3 Fonteinen this weekend when pissed. :lol:
If you get pissed don’t waste your money on 3F at Beer Merchants...waste it here instead. 👇

Last edited:
S43 and FCBC have sneaked a collab out, a 7.2% West Coast IPA, as well as another couple of beers. Booked into their new outside space tomorrow.

Was trying to be restrained this week. Been to the Ivy House nearly every night. Promise I'll be good next week when the novelty of supping pints in a garden / car park wears off. :cool:

Had a pint of the vault watermelon sour in the isis yesterday, lovely stuff. Wouldn’t mind knowing what the other two vault city are like
You ever had them cherry lip sweets that taste mildly like fairy liquid? That’s what the rhubarb session tastes like, not a fan

Heads up HopKnocker has opened up his beer garden (backyard) this afty.

Will pop in this weekend. So, decent places open locally so far

Ivy House
FCBC
Tyne bank
HopKnocker
By the river
Isis

Are blues open? Please add to the list anywhere else :cool:

You ever had them cherry lip sweets that taste mildly like fairy liquid? That’s what the rhubarb session tastes like, not a fan

Yes there’s ago and I didn’t use to mind them, would give this a try.

Bought the northern monk seabrooks beers today, prawn cocktail and cheese and onion flavoured.

What’s these Vault City sours like that have appeared in Tesco’s. Have never got round to trying any, have threatened to the odd time I’ve been in blues but there’s always too many stouts I’ve got to leave behind.

Anyhow, I know it goes against the whole Craft ethos, but I’m a lot more likely to pick one off the shelf there now

What’s these Vault City sours like that have appeared in Tesco’s. Have never got round to trying any, have threatened to the odd time I’ve been in blues but there’s always too many stouts I’ve got to leave behind.

Anyhow, I know it goes against the whole Craft ethos, but I’m a lot more likely to pick one off the shelf there now
Haven’t tried the Tesco ones yet but everything else Vault City have made has been excellent so I’d expect them to be very good.

Just caved in & bought a couple more

Brew York - Empress Tonkoko (had before & bought again cos it’s class
De Moersleutel - Willy Tonka
Left Handed Giant - King of the Woodland
Haven’t tried the Tesco ones yet but everything else Vault City have made has been excellent so I’d expect them to be very good.
I’m a reet scab me

Back