Council tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbf if you put recycling in a landfill bin it means something recyclable won't get recycled, if you put landfill stuff in the recycling it means the whole bin load won't get recycled afaik

I get that. My point is, people are penalised where they incorrectly place items in the recycling bin. However, there is no negative incentivisation which encourages me to recycle. I could put all my rubbish in the green bin and not one fuck is given by the council.

DCC will collect 4 big items for £15, if people thought about it it a couple of hours of your time is worth more than that
SCC do eight for the same price. People have this thing about not wanting to pay it.

Also, for things such as fridges also cars etc. the manufacturer of the appliance has a duty to dispose of it so give them a call and they’ll arrange it FOC.

SCC do eight for the same price. People have this thing about not wanting to pay it.

Also, for things such as fridges also cars etc. the manufacturer of the appliance has a duty to dispose of it so give them a call and they’ll arrange it FOC.
Didn't know that.

£17.50 now, I had the old bathroom suite and a few other bits taken away recently. Excellent value for money considering the price of a skip.

I get that. My point is, people are penalised where they incorrectly place items in the recycling bin. However, there is no negative incentivisation which encourages me to recycle. I could put all my rubbish in the green bin and not one fuck is given by the council.

true, but given the hell on about having to put rubbish in a bin as seen here can you imagine if people got bother for not recycling? the streets would be burning marra.

although I recycle wherever possible and hate littering with a passion I can't see how that is workable. all sorts gets hoyed into bins by passers by and I'd rather it went in a bin than on the deck

Probably most people have just done their garden for the first time Of The year. Also the deptford one, if the queue is out to the roundabout it's still only takes 15 minutes

Got down Deptford at precisely 9.05 this morning, 2 cars there and the longest wait I had was for the gadgy on the gates to tell me which skip to go to.

I was in charge of the Deptford one a couple of years ago and coming from Northumberland sites I had my eyes opened to how busy the sites around sunderland are, not that there's many. Two bin motors near salt bays and traffic filtering into wagon or site just to get the public away! Middlesbrough site is shocking at xmas, was closed by the police as traffic was encroaching onto A19 and site is 1.7 miles from A19:eek::eek: who in their right mind will queue for that length of time, on a positive note, I do have the biggest bin mind

The entire waste from a family should fit in a bin which is collected fortnightly though.

I'd be all for fining households that don't recycle properly. Any glass/paper/plastic in the green bin is £100 per item. Watch compliance sky rocket.

We use our blue bin correctly, only paper in the caddy and all plastic, cardboard, glass etc in the main section of the bin. No plastic or paper food wrapping, this goes in green bin.

Imagine my surprise, on observing the bin men emptying our blue bin, to see the lad empty the caddy into the main bin, i.e. unsorting the waste, and then empty the whole lot together into the bin wagon.

Why do we bother, Fawlty?

And they wonder why fly tipping is on the increase.

In my experience, when i was in a van, i was turned away. When in the car, they'll take just about anything. But yes, seen loads of piles of fly tipped Tyres and builders/plumbers rubbish in lots of country lanes. I cycled past the Wrekenton/ springwell recycling place yesterday and queue was an hour-ish,according to Mrs R.

Bishop tip is brilliant. Nee queues on a Sunday afternoon.

As far as recycling goes; I reckon the rules should be harsher. I like the German approach; they sort absolutely everything & the government go out of their way to ensure that packaging on products is kept to a minimum.

We use our blue bin correctly, only paper in the caddy and all plastic, cardboard, glass etc in the main section of the bin. No plastic or paper food wrapping, this goes in green bin.

Imagine my surprise, on observing the bin men emptying our blue bin, to see the lad empty the caddy into the main bin, i.e. unsorting the waste, and then empty the whole lot together into the bin wagon.

Why do we bother, Fawlty?

Mine have done that as well,
have also stood and watched from my window as he throws the small black one in the wagon then says it fell in when you go out for the bin.
Buffoons :lol:

Or they have had their waste collection service cut by 50% and have to now dispose of their other 50% themselves - hence queues at tips now commonplace.
I've got 2 bins now, when I used to have one.
Plus the wheely bins are about twice the size of the old metal bins

So that's ~ 4x as much as there used to be. So moving to fortnightly collections shouldn't be a problem.

I also have a composter, so all my food and paper (shredded) waste goes in that - so even less in my bins.

We're all richer and throw away more shite. I chucked loads away that would have gone to younger relatives starting out a few years back, kids only want the best now, no making do
Some of the stuff reluctantly I took to the tip this weekend..

A table and chairs. It was given to us second hand, and hasn't been used in our current abode. Been sat in the garage for years as we'd got a bigger table. Couldn't give it away despite repeated attempts.
A decent kids double buggy, retailing at about £350 new, we picked it up on ebay for about £120. Very well used by us, brake rusted a bit, could do with a really good clean. Couldn't give it away either.

Shame.

I left both on the walkways at the advice of the skip man. Hopefully they'll come to use for someone.

Some of the stuff reluctantly I took to the tip this weekend..

A table and chairs. It was given to us second hand, and hasn't been used in our current abode. Been sat in the garage for years as we'd got a bigger table. Couldn't give it away despite repeated attempts.
A decent kids double buggy, retailing at about £350 new, we picked it up on ebay for about £120. Very well used by us, brake rusted a bit, could do with a really good clean. Couldn't give it away either.

Shame.

I left both on the walkways at the advice of the skip man. Hopefully they'll come to use for someone.
We did the same, very little went in the skip. We did have a bash at flogging stuff on gumtree but it's not worth the bother dealing with knackers. Going to try some stuff on a Facebook freebies page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back