Council tips

Why are they so busy these days?

Tried to go to shields one today but the queue looked about 90 minutes long.

Are we deeing the councils job or do we throw more shite away?

It's due to the change to fortnightly collections. The queues are worse around traditional festivals, Christmas, Easter etc where we generate even more rubbish.

They seem to regulate the traffic through them more carefully these days rather than the previous free for all. Sunderland one has had queues all weekend whenever I've gone past.

Aye, the Deptford tip was queuing from the roundabout when I was passing last week around 11am.

It’s an absolute disgrace this 2 week collection from prior weekly one like - what are we paying our council tax for?

Aye, the Deptford tip was queuing from the roundabout when I was passing last week around 11am.

It’s an absolute disgrace this 2 week collection from prior weekly one like - what are we paying our council tax for?
Police, fire, schools, social workers, parks, libraries, bin collections, road maintenance, infrastructure, culture, museums....

If people need more than fortnightly bin collections they are either being too wasteful or not recycling properly in my opinion

The queue at deptford is appalling like a lot of the time. Think one was closed which wont help, was it Washington?

I've had cause to use one near Wallsend a few times and never any queue there.

Police, fire, schools, social workers, parks, libraries, bin collections, road maintenance, infrastructure, culture, museums....

If people need more than fortnightly bin collections they are either being too wasteful or not recycling properly in my opinion

Or they have had their waste collection service cut by 50% and have to now dispose of their other 50% themselves - hence queues at tips now commonplace.

Or they have had their waste collection service cut by 50% and have to now dispose of their other 50% themselves - hence queues at tips now commonplace.
The entire waste from a family should fit in a bin which is collected fortnightly though.

I'd be all for fining households that don't recycle properly. Any glass/paper/plastic in the green bin is £100 per item. Watch compliance sky rocket.

The entire waste from a family should fit in a bin which is collected fortnightly though.

I'd be all for fining households that don't recycle properly. Any glass/paper/plastic in the green bin is £100 per item. Watch compliance sky rocket.

There's a thing. I can put whatever I want in my green bin without fear of recourse from the binmen, but if I accidentally put something in the blue bin, it's not collected and I get a sticker informing me I'm a twat.

Peoples council tax should have been reduced as soon as they went from weekly to fortnightly collections imo.

Absolute ripoff.

There's a thing. I can put whatever I want in my green bin without fear of recourse from the binmen, but if I accidentally put something in the blue bin, it's not collected and I get a sticker informing me I'm a twat.

That’s hard to disagree with tbf.

consumerism. people are being duped into buying new stuff when there's nowt wrong with their old stuff meaning more stuff to chuck out.
i've been to horden tip twice over the weekend and it's been busy but been straight in and out both times.

Peoples council tax should have been reduced as soon as they went from weekly to fortnightly collections imo.

Absolute ripoff.

The point of moving to fortnightly collections was to address the reduction in budget. If they'd reduced the council tax bill commensurate with halving the collection, they'd be in the same position commercially.

Oh, the irony.

Absolute ripoff.

The thing is, it was always weekly with only one bin. Then you got the blue one too, so the council could argue at that point you got an extra collection for the same tax. With hindsight they should have gone fortnightly then.

Having them weekly is a waste of money quite frankly. It's not needed and I would rather my tax went on something else.

You must have seen the news that councils have had massive budget cuts?

The point of moving to fortnightly collections was to address the reduction in budget. If they'd reduced the council tax bill commensurate with halving the collection, they'd be in the same position commercially.

Basically f***ing over the tax payer.

Ripoff Britain imo.

Yeah, education on it could be a little better. Should also be able to recycle more in your blue bin, like batteries

Back