Council tips

Top tip: simply order a second green bin from your local friendly council for £25 and use two over a two week period, recreating those halcyon days of weekly bin collections.

Or tel council informing them your green bin is knackered (ours had a loose fitting lid) then when they drop you a new one off and forget to pick up old one, just use both.

Or they have had their waste collection service cut by 50% and have to now dispose of their other 50% themselves - hence queues at tips now commonplace.

Try again.
We've lost the fortnightly double collection. Thats a 33% cut.
Years ago we only had the single collection, how did people manage then & they can't now. Even now my bins dont always go out, dont know where peoples rubbisg comes from.

Bizarre that I think waste collect services cut in half are ok so just be happy about it?

Ok m8, it clearly me that’s bizarre

It is bizarre that you think they have been cut in half when they clearly havent

Peoples council tax should have been reduced as soon as they went from weekly to fortnightly collections imo.

Absolute ripoff.

Do you know how much of the councils funding comes from council tax, and how much from central government. And how much central government have cut theirs?

Not very good at numbers are you?

And actually we've had 4 years of tax freezes, which is a cut in real terms.

Last edited:
Try again.
We've lost the fortnightly double collection. Thats a 33% cut.
Years ago we only had the single collection, how did people manage then & they can't now. Even now my bins dont always go out, dont know where peoples rubbisg comes from.

It is bizarre that you think they have been cut in half when they clearly havent

Do you know how much of the councils funding comes from council tax, and how much from central government. And how much central government have cut theirs?

Not very good at numbers are you?

And actually we've had 4 years of tax freezes, which is a cut in real terms.

I agree, it’s a disgrace.

Over Christmas I started putting rubbish in the bins in the park. Quite handy

I know people do it but your not supposed to.
A certain council I used to work for told the employees to report or tell the the person not to do it, because those bins are for litter and not household waste:lol:.
Just like sweeping leaves off your path was classed as fly tipping.

Do people take waste that would otherwise go in the bin to the tip? Is it not more to do with a £20 waste collection charge for bulky stuff?

Went round Deptford twice today and the queue was backed up past the roundabout both times. Fuck waiting in that. I'll try again after 9am tomorrow.

Our local tip is busy as they changed the hours to weekends only so there's always a huge queue. I've got a broken chair and other bits in the garage that I haven't taken yet as I can't be arsed to waste my weekend sitting in the queue for the tip :oops:

We missed our normal bin being emptied due to the snow last month, so it was four weeks between collections. Ours was about three quarters full. Other people had overflowing bins and rubbish stacked in bags alongside it. I can understand households with disposable nappy wearers struggling, but I've no idea how others generate that much waste.

Why are they so busy these days?

Tried to go to shields one today but the queue looked about 90 minutes long.

Are we deeing the councils job or do we throw more shite away?
If they were compacting rubbish in the skips they would temporally close the tip ( Health and Safety ), this usually causes a considerable delay and back log of tippers !

Lots of reasons
Skips cost a fortune. When was the last time you saw a skip without scaffolding next to it?
Council bin men are more selective what they will take.
Loss of coal fires. People burnt everything at one time.
Throw away society. We had a gadgie out the other day as the bearings are going on the wesher. “Sealed unit, throw it away when it goes bang “ it’s about 5 yrs old ffs

Or fill your neighbours up.

Not a bad idea for neighbors to sort it out together IMO. My next door neighbors are in their 90’s and rarely even fill their bins half way and I asked them ages ago if I could top their bins and they said it was ok. Only usually need to when it’s been the bairns birthday or something and we have piles of recycling

If you take a bit of time when putting stuff in the bin stuff fits easily. Cutting up packaging, folding stuff flat, squashing cans and the like.

Only ever need to use the tip when I've been doing a bit of DIY or around the bairns birthday or Xmas.

We've been on alternate fortnightly collections for years now like, can't seem to recall ever having and overflowing bin outside of these times.

There's a thing. I can put whatever I want in my green bin without fear of recourse from the binmen, but if I accidentally put something in the blue bin, it's not collected and I get a sticker informing me I'm a twat.

tbf if you put recycling in a landfill bin it means something recyclable won't get recycled, if you put landfill stuff in the recycling it means the whole bin load won't get recycled afaik

Fly tipping is so prevalent cos the council won't collect some things and don't collect often enough.

I had them come collect shite from mine with no trouble.

fly tipping is prevalent because people are ***** and want to cut costs in the main

Back