Coronavirus compendium thread

They also don't inject any live virus so may be safer for those with compromised immune systems.
I've got no issues with live viruses being injected (often altered to be weak / unable to reproduce), the body will kill them, which is somewhat the point if you know what I mean.

I think you've got a false impression because of some of the crap out there. mRNA vaccines do not change your DNA. That's a lie put about by anti-vaxxers.
The RNA vaccines do not alter your DNA. The RNA is simply a code which instructs a cell to produce a specific protein. In this case the protein made is identical to the virus spike protein. Your body recognises this as foreign and exerts an immune response producing antibodies. T cells are also activated which will be able to recognise the virus. Protein synthesis in cells is not hard to understand and is part of the GCSE syllabus. If anyone wants to read an easy to understand description of the role of RNA just Google GCSE biology protein synthesis.

Actually haven't read any antivax stuff at all. Why would I do something that daft! :lol:

The RNA they inject goes inside a cell, and integrates with it, and the cell changes (to produce the coronavirus spikes). That sounds a lot like a merge of 2 different organisms to me.

I never said it changes the bodies DNA in its entirity, just the cells that the vaccine goes into - so.... I did some quick reading - exactly what I was trying to avoid!

"DNA and RNA perform different functions in humans. DNA is responsible for storing and transferring genetic information, while RNA directly codes for amino acids and acts as a messenger between DNA and ribosomes to make proteins."

Ok, so I didn't understand the difference between DNA and RNA. RNA is basically an instruction, not a place where genetic code is stored. Seems it only lives as it takes to do its job and/or is lost when the cell dies (naturally). So there's no risk of this RNA remaining in the body long term.

Happy as Larry now. Cheers folks.

(NB - I don't think RNA was even mentioned when I did GCSE Biology. Even DNA was only touched upon)

Yeah, but its obviously impossible to know any long term effects when its only existed for about 6 months. Injecting something that literally changes the DNA of your own cells in your body is ingenius, but also sounds dangerous?

Again, to be totally clear, I'm not only pro-vaccination, but I'm very anti-antivaxxer.

it doesn’t change the DNA of your cells though. That is false information being put around by anti-vaxxers

Ok, so small knob gags aside, does anyone know what the risks are from a rna based vaccine?

I'm 99.99% pro vaccine, always have been. But isn't this a totally new approach - something never done before?
I don't mind admitting that I'm a touch nervous because of my own ignorance.

Usually we inject something for the immune system to attack. This time we seem to be injecting something that will make our own cells change into something similar to the virus.
Is it just me that thinks that sounds scary?

There is a good article in the Guardian answering lots of questions. Every virus replicates by getting into our cells and using their genetic material in the cell to produce new viruses. RNA is unstable so will fall apart after a few days so there will be no long term effects also the cells the vaccine gets into will exhibit the spike protein so will get destroyed by the immune response that we are hoping to generate

Guardian article

Sorry I didn’t see that. I was just replying to the alert I got! Glad you have reconsidered.
You’ll get lynched for calling me mate though as I’m a mag!
Nowt against mags tbh. Said it plenty of times on here.

Not so much reconsidered as "I had a thought" and I was hoping for a quick answer on here rather than looking it up myself. But ended up, aye, looking it up myself :lol:

That's the thing with these anti-vaxxers, if they just went on google for 10 minutes and read a few articles, they'd see how bollocks their mates' facebook posts are. f***ing idiots, the lot of them :)

Nowt against mags tbh. Said it plenty of times on here.

Not so much reconsidered as "I had a thought" and I was hoping for a quick answer on here rather than looking it up myself. But ended up, aye, looking it up myself :lol:

That's the thing with these anti-vaxxers, if they just went on google for 10 minutes and read a few articles, they'd see how bollocks their mates' facebook posts are. f***ing idiots, the lot of them :)
What a refreshing attitude!

Yes, I could explain it again but I’m not going too, for whatever reason you think it’s going to wipe out civilisation or that it’s not good for 2000 people to die of basically flu but you don’t know how many people die of flu each year which is not openly reported, the main reason you have heard of this is because it’s a new strain, (however much it upsets you and the other poster who thinks 2000 is a lot)

It’s not that bad

But feel free to keep tagging me whenever you feel your point is better proven. I still haven’t seen anything to worry me as yet and if I was concerned I would certainly admit it
I feel my point is proven.

There is a good article in the Guardian answering lots of questions. Every virus replicates by getting into our cells and using their genetic material in the cell to produce new viruses. RNA is unstable so will fall apart after a few days so there will be no long term effects also the cells the vaccine gets into will exhibit the spike protein so will get destroyed by the immune response that we are hoping to generate

Guardian article
I wouldn't put much trust in Grauniad articles

Back