Coronavirus compendium thread

University cities in Britain were on high alert after five Chinese patients were admitted to hospitals in Scotland, and one in Belfast with suspected coronavirus.

Professor Jurgen Haas, Head of Infection Medicine at the University of Edinburgh, said four people had been isolated in Edinburgh and one person in Glasgow and warned that many more cases were likely in other UK cities.

Tests for Wuhan novel coronavirus (WN-CoV) are also being carried out on a patient at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

One in five international students in Britain are from China, and Professor Haas suggested that Edinburgh is suffering from three cases because it has such a large Chinese student population.

One in five students here are Chinese, need to have screening in all our airports nee matter where their flying in from just to be safe

Great post, exactly one year ago. Petty that nothing like this (and more) was put in place from day one. But no people needed to go on their skiing holidays etc etc.

Should we have done it for swine flu, bird flu, sars & mers amongst others? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Who would have thought in January last year that it would have been as bad as this?

A novel coronavirus would have been high up the list of possible pandemics, but I think a lot of people (myself included) didn't think COVID-19 would be anywhere near an issue on this scale, because of the experience of SARS in 2003.

Where SARS and COVID differ, despite both being coronaviruses, is the asymptomatic spread. SARS is primarily contagious during the symptomatic period making it much easier to contain. COVID, there's clearly huge asymptomatic spread.

I really hope that world governments learn this lesson and are much more prepared for the next pandemic, because there will be another, so long as our practices in regards to livestock hygiene remain as disgusting as they are.

Should we have done it for swine flu, bird flu, sars & mers amongst others? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Who would have thought in January last year that it would have been as bad as this?

It looked obvious very quickly that this was no sars. Our country like most in Europe was criminally under prepared for this. We'd been warned seriously for 20 years that something along these lines was coming, and what did we do about it in preparation. Absolutely fuck all that's what.

Look at South Korea, population 53M. They have had less than 1,000 deaths, less than 100,000 cases, no lockdowns, no business closures, their economy has grown rather than being completely and utterly fucked. Why, because they invested a very small amount of time, money and effort into systems for dealing with the threat. As for sars, they only suffered 38 deaths from that virus. Would any UK government have sanctioned the the investment they made for only 38 deaths. Western politicians all want shot with shit. Repeatedly ignoring the threat, a cross party A political body should have been established at least 10 years ago to oversee the planning and reaction to this. The "wargame" in 2016 showed we'd be fucked, that too was ignored cos we needed to focus on getting brexit done ffs.

Hindsight nah, it's been coming and we were well and truly warned by Sage and Who and others including Bill Gates.
Seems a lot of countries are taking this outbreak extremely serious, the US, Australia, Russia, Japan, Pakistan and Italy have all closed their borders, denying entry to all foreign visitors who had recently been in China. Do you think we will do the same if the virus continues to spread?.

No.

Last edited:
I occasionally have a read through the first few pages of this thread to remind myself of the magnitude of the death count we see daily now. How shocked we were when we started going over 100 deaths.
A thousand times more shocked now .

Although it's not shock now is it.

Resignation?

Boris should consider that

Last edited:
Yes, I could explain it again but I’m not going too, for whatever reason you think it’s going to wipe out civilisation or that it’s not good for 2000 people to die of basically flu but you don’t know how many people die of flu each year which is not openly reported, the main reason you have heard of this is because it’s a new strain, (however much it upsets you and the other poster who thinks 2000 is a lot)

It’s not that bad

But feel free to keep tagging me whenever you feel your point is better proven. I still haven’t seen anything to worry me as yet and if I was concerned I would certainly admit it
Tag - any cause for concern yet?

Yes, I could explain it again but I’m not going too, for whatever reason you think it’s going to wipe out civilisation or that it’s not good for 2000 people to die of basically flu but you don’t know how many people die of flu each year which is not openly reported, the main reason you have heard of this is because it’s a new strain, (however much it upsets you and the other poster who thinks 2000 is a lot)

It’s not that bad

But feel free to keep tagging me whenever you feel your point is better proven. I still haven’t seen anything to worry me as yet and if I was concerned I would certainly admit it
This aged well...

One in five students here are Chinese, need to have screening in all our airports nee matter where their flying in from just to be safe
Well it took about a year, but the Govt did listen...

If we (UK Govt) had invested all that Chinese Student money in Bitcoin back then, maybe we could pay off the billions in extra debt we now have due to acting too late. Yeah, I know hindsight...blah, blah blah, but it was basically an economic decision, not a medical one

No-one last February could have predicted how complacent, corrupt and incompetent the government would be in managing it.
We've done particularly poorly, I'm not just talking about us though.

The US, France, Italy, Belgium, Portugal. All over 100 deaths per 100,000, as are many others.

If you asked me if I thought this would be the situation a year ago I'd have said no chance. If you asked me 11 months ago I probably would have, it was much clearer by mid March.

Mutations are dangerous because we have the DNA structure of the virus if it keeps changing then the vaccine becomes ineffective, hence why the flu vaccine is changed every year and is basically our best guess for the strain we might see this year
You got something right.

Except it's not.

As long as it has its spike then the vaccines will be effective.

If it loses its spike it loses its deadliness anyway.

Not all spikes are the same. If they were, a vaccine for any type of coronavirus (not just covid) would work for any other. Mutations that affect the structure and shape of the proteins can affect vaccine efficacy - for example, the South Africa variant.

Back