Coronavirus compendium thread

Would love to see the percentage of people living in China to the ratio of people infected with the super virus.

Better odd on the euro millions.
Still?
Oh well. All of us will soon be dead regardless, and within a couple of generations forgotten and may well have never existed anyway.
This.
This Chinese virus, is this the end of days?
Close enough.
This Chinese virus, is this the end of days?
Close enough.
There have been plenty of serious viruses from the far east previously and we're all still here so i'm going with no.
Err...
If everyone washed their hands didn't cough or sneeze in peoples' faces and didn't spit on the pavement we would all be perfectly safe. Apparently the most infectious thing that you can touch in London are the handrails in the underground. It's all as basic as that
Yet they're still not doing it, despite the early warning.
If everyone washed their hands didn't cough or sneeze in peoples' faces and didn't spit on the pavement we would all be perfectly safe. Apparently the most infectious thing that you can touch in London are the handrails in the underground. It's all as basic as that
No.

There will be a pandemic at some point that kills hundreds of thousands or even millions. With 500ish cases and 17 deaths, mainly older people with pre-existing conditions, this isn't going to be it.

Not all, sure a few in their 40s and 50s. As you say though, mainly over 60s with known pre-existing conditions.
A million dead after 6 months, are you sure?
Mortality still remains half that of SARS. This will no doubt be another big panic over a comparitively short lived outbreak.
Some earlier posts haven't aged well.
Mortality still remains half that of SARS. This will no doubt be another big panic over a comparitively short lived outbreak.
26 deaths so far... The 1918 Spanish flu pandemic killed 50 million ffs ...media should get a grip and stop scaremongering
:lol:
No.
It's a massive over reaction to fk all.

It's the fast news / Internet age that's expanded this outta all proportion.

30 years ago this wouldn't even be newsworthy.
Look on the bright side, gonna be some cheap holiday deals 😉
Or not.

Last edited:
Still?

This.

Close enough.

Close enough.

Err...

Or not.
Top bumping

Like I’ve said in the other thread you simpleton, I’ve fully followed lockdown and the rules up until now.

they’ve had months to get a handle on this, like increasing testing and track and trace but little lapdogs like yourself won’t criticise the most inept government in the history of this country.
So its the government's fault that a minority of arseholes break the rules 🤔

So its the government's fault that a minority of arseholes break the rules 🤔
A minority of arseholes break the rules every day.

it’s their fault for not having systems in place to deal with it.

but you go on little doggy. Wag your tail and accept everything the dear leader shouts.

When’s the next world class system getting implemented?

A minority of arseholes break the rules every day.

it’s their fault for not having systems in place to deal with it.

but you go on little doggy. Wag your tail and accept everything the dear leader shouts.

When’s the next world class system getting implemented?
:lol: You're living in cloud cuckoo land, carry on breaking the rules then blaming the government for your selfishness

Still?

This.

Close enough.

Close enough.

Err...

Or not.

You can say that again.

Didn't know where to post this but ended up here. I'd like to understand the coronavirus hospitalisations & deaths at the moment.

My understanding is that hospitals get busier in winter, and more people die in winter, and also that the way covid deaths are typically presented are any death within 28 days after testing positive. That is muddying my understanding / context about covid hospitalisations and deaths.

I saw yesterday on the news that a man had went to hospital with a bad back, and when he got to hospital tested positive for coronavirus - would that go down as a hospitalisation on the stats? I think the statistic could be skewed (if so) given more people go to hospital in winter. And then extend this principal to deaths, more people will die in winter and will have had covid in the previous 28 days.

News and counter statistics about hospital ICU and bed levels from last year also been near capacity make me feel like covid isn't that bad...i remember last year in the run up to the election (now basically for the december poll) people talking about the NHS being overran and the picture of the kid on the floor. Are we worse than that now?

What's happening with the nightingales? Are excess deaths back above average ?

I'd appreciate anyone taking the time to explain as I know i'll be missing the point

Didn't know where to post this but ended up here. I'd like to understand the coronavirus hospitalisations & deaths at the moment.
I'm work in public health as an analyst, I'll give it a shot.

My understanding is that hospitals get busier in winter, and more people die in winter,

Yes, and yes.

and also that the way covid deaths are typically presented are any death within 28 days after testing positive. That is muddying my understanding / context about covid hospitalisations and deaths.
Yes, though the 28 days is quite arbitrary in my opinion.

I saw yesterday on the news that a man had went to hospital with a bad back, and when he got to hospital tested positive for coronavirus - would that go down as a hospitalisation on the stats?
As far as I'm aware it would be a hospitalisation for both a bad back and Covid. Patients can have multiple reasons for being in hospital.

If I was building that query myself I'd include that case. I can only access that data from the office and as I haven't been there since March I haven't been asked.
I think the statistic could be skewed (if so)
I don't, but I digress ;)

Given more people go to hospital in winter.
Remember, if they're taking up a bed they're taking up a bed.

Some covid patients would be there for other things, some wouldn't.

If I had to look at hospital beds (I don't) I wouldn't look at covid in a silo and assume they are all extra patients.

And then extend this principal to deaths, more people will die in winter and will have had covid in the previous 28 days.
Yup. Just as people can have multiple reasons for hospitalisation they can have multiple causes of death.

Excess winter deaths will be a weird one next release imo, the Covid spike earlier in the year will impact on last winter's results.

News and counter statistics about hospital ICU and bed levels from last year also been near capacity make me feel like covid isn't that bad...i remember last year in the run up to the election (now basically for the december poll) people talking about the NHS being overran and the picture of the kid on the floor. Are we worse than that now?
That's a good question, I don't know off the top of my head (am I arsing myself at this time of night, I've been pissing about with spreadsheets all day). Someone like @Frijj might.

I imagine there's a bit more capacity this winter like. :lol:

What's happening with the nightingales?
There if they're needed. Some areas may be using them, I don't know.

Some have called them a stunt, I'm holding my water on that one.
Are excess deaths back above average ?
The most recent weekly release by the ONS has it pretty similar to the 5 year average for the period.

They were loads higher than normal earlier in the year.
I'd appreciate anyone taking the time to explain as I know i'll be missing the point
I hope this was useful.
I'm a Public Health Analyst, I'll give it a shot.

My understanding is that hospitals get busier in winter, and more people die in winter,

Yes, and yes.

and also that the way covid deaths are typically presented are any death within 28 days after testing positive. That is muddying my understanding / context about covid hospitalisations and deaths.
Yes, though the 28 days is quite arbitrary in my opinion.

I saw yesterday on the news that a man had went to hospital with a bad back, and when he got to hospital tested positive for coronavirus - would that go down as a hospitalisation on the stats?
As far as I'm aware it would be a hospitalisation for both a bad back and Covid. Patients can have multiple reasons for being in hospital.

If I was building that query myself I'd include that case. I can only access that data from the office and as I haven't been there since March I haven't been asked.
I think the statistic could be skewed (if so)
I don't, but I digress ;)

Given more people go to hospital in winter.
Remember, if they're taking up a bed they're taking up a bed.

Some covid patients would be there for other things, some wouldn't.

If I had to look at hospital beds (I don't) I wouldn't look at covid in a silo and assume they are all extra patients.

And then extend this principal to deaths, more people will die in winter and will have had covid in the previous 28 days.
Yup. Just as people can have multiple reasons for hospitalisation they can have multiple causes of death.

Excess winter deaths will be a weird one next release imo, the Covid spike earlier in the year will impact on last winter's results.

That's a good question, I don't know off the top of my head (am I arsing myself at this time of night, I've been pissing about with spreadsheets all day). Someone like @Frijj might.

I imagine there's a bit more capacity this winter like. :lol:

What's happening with the nightingales?
There if they're needed. Some areas may be using them, I don't know.

Some have called them a stunt, I'm holding my water on that one.
Are excess deaths back above average ?
The most recent weekly release by the ONS has it pretty similar to the 5 year average for the period.

They were loads higher than normal earlier in the year.
I hope this was useful.

@Some Random Guy thank you. Appreciate it!

Edit: (i'm still not sure what to make of it all, but who is :))
Anyone that says they understand everything on it is a liar. I'm paid to work on this every day I know more than I need to to manage my bit but I'm not an expert by a long stretch.

Research on the outbreak, it's spread, it's management, and it's consequences will be getting published for decades.

Bit of a pisser it double posted like. :lol:
Very fair & reasonable answers. I do have an extra question, would you know if the back end of 2019 was a less deadly winter period? Therefore carrying over a lot of elderly vulnerable people into the more dangerous covid period. A very clinical question but needs to be asked.

My understanding is that hospitals get busier in winter, and more people die in winter, and also that the way covid deaths are typically presented are any death within 28 days after testing positive. That is muddying my understanding / context about covid hospitalisations and deaths.

I saw yesterday on the news that a man had went to hospital with a bad back, and when he got to hospital tested positive for coronavirus - would that go down as a hospitalisation on the stats? I think the statistic could be skewed (if so) given more people go to hospital in winter. And then extend this principal to deaths, more people will die in winter and will have had covid in the previous 28 days.

What's happening with the nightingales? Are excess deaths back above average ?

I posted an article from a hospital where my mate is MD

In Spring they had to increase their ITU capacity from 22 to 129 beds and they are expecting that to be the same this winter

So the NHS can adapt to cope with Covid but then pretty much everything else has to stop to allow that to happen. This will mean deaths from stuff like Cancer will increase but we wont see that as yet.

He has had 3 of his consultant colleagues and one nurse manager (blokes in their 50s) die from Covid. Anyone who confidently says Covid is nonsense and a conspiracy is totally deluded. Anyone working front line NHS will be able to tell you how this is an unprecedented situation and the mountain of patients has not been seen before in their professional life.

The stats will always be hard to define exactly, especially in the middle of this, but it shouldn’t be the focus of the discussion. It’s a bit like rather than look at the 3000 dead people from 9/11 having people argue about whether the planes were going at 300 mph or 400 mph at impact. Hard end points like excess deaths and people in hospital and in ICU are the best way to see how bad things are

Very fair & reasonable answers. I do have an extra question, would you know if the back end of 2019 was a less deadly winter period? Therefore carrying over a lot of elderly vulnerable people into the more dangerous covid period. A very clinical question but needs to be asked.
Not qualified myself but read months ago that last winter was a very mild one in terms of flu, leaving more vulnerable people alive and succeptable than might have been in other years.

Back