Converting to Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an absolute pile of f***ing bullshit. You should be ashamed for even writing such nonsense.

I've had HUNDREDS of Muslim mates and NOT ONE has promoted Sharia Law or even f***ing mentioned it, not once. Ever. Every single one of them is glad to be British and happy to live in such a liberal, democratic and diverse country.

How many Muslims mates have you had? How many Muslims have you personally heard promoting Sharia Law? I'm betting none.

Very angry aren't you.
I'll say what I like about any religion, as is my right in a free liberal society- I have very little if nothing positive to say about Islam and if that upsets you, so what.

Many muslims would rather live under religious law in this country (see the Trevor Phillips survey) given the choice; more than half think homosexuality should be illegal- it'd be interesting to find how your liberal values sit with that statistic?

This board has a weird obsession with Muslims.

Just leave them to it man - I've met many a Muslim and they have left me to it. Nobody's tried to convert me, nobody has shot me bacon sarnie out me hand, nobody has prevented me from drinking.

Just because a couple of nutjobs fancy trying to implement shariah law doesn't mean we should write off the entire Muslim population.

For:
The way they treat their woman is cool, they must do everything for you and always do what you say I also like the Burka, no chance of men sleezing over your woman. The arranged marriage part would be exiting and would save loads of time on dating websites. I would also get away with loads of stuff if I'm ever in trouble I would play the muslim card. I would also like to stand up the media for making muslims the enemy of the people. I would also have to be sober and stop smoking and that would make me a happier person. It would be cool to wear a dress and hat and their beards are nice.
Learning about it all would be interesting.

Against:
No bacon.
I wouldnt be able to sleep around.
I'd probably get filled in.
I'd have to give up my life of drink, drugs and partying.
They seem to be very strict and I like an easy laid back lifestyle.

My real ale habit would be cattle trucked.

When the state of Russia was beginning to form under Prince Vladimir (no, not Putin) in the run up to the year 1000, they were looking for a new state religion to unify their people.

Islam was ticking all the boxes with jihad being a nice idea for annexing neighbouring countries (okay, like Putin).

The Muslim missionaries (I assume the Volga Bulgarian Muslims to be accurate) were sent packing when they said "no alcohol" and "no pork" on realising the Russians liked tanking back the vodka and scoffing their bacon and eggs on an industrial scale. and they opted for Orthodox Christianity instead. The Russians also commented the Muslims were smelly and without fun before annexing their lands along the Volga (so no change there then).

Last edited by a moderator:

Just leave them to it man - I've met many a Muslim and they have left me to it. Nobody's tried to convert me, nobody has shot me bacon sarnie out me hand, nobody has prevented me from drinking.

Just because a couple of nutjobs fancy trying to implement shariah law doesn't mean we should write off the entire Muslim population.

Most on here who have a problem don't even know any never mind be friends with them.

The media is to blame for hatred against muslims imo.

Then showed how much of an idiot he is by agreeing with the fatwa against Salman Rushdie.

According to Cat Stevens he at no point supported a fatwah.

Who would be surprised if our jingoist press wanted to paint Cat Stevens in a certain manner, for having the temerity to reject their world and values?

According to Cat Stevens he at no point supported a fatwah.

Who would be surprised if our jingoist press wanted to paint Cat Stevens in a certain manner, for having the temerity to reject their world and values?

He is quoted that he told an audience at the Oxford union that Rushdie should be executed under sharia for criticising the prophet

He is quoted that he told an audience at the Oxford union that Rushdie should be executed under sharia for criticising the prophet

I don't know much about it, but I do know Cat Stevens is quoted as saying he didn't say such a thing.

So, put the quote up and the providence, and it can be looked into in no time.

I don't know much about it, but I do know Cat Stevens is quoted as saying he didn't say such a thing.

So, put the quote up and the providence, and it can be looked into in no time.
Can you put up the quote from Cat - as well as its providence - where he denies saying it, first?

William Dalrymple wrote a book where he traced the old Byzantine empire and he reckoned that the Islamic prayer method is a direct copy of the original Christian method of worship and the Christian moved away from it over time. It is actually a really good book if you get a chance to read it (from the holy mountain it is called)

It's fascinating how Christianity, Islam and Judaism all have the same roots but split into their own religions with differing moral stances - which says more about the cultures than it does the religion, which is why I think it's f***ing stupid for westerners to want to convert to a belief system with archaic and outdated morals and practices.

It's fascinating how Christianity, Islam and Judaism all have the same roots but split into their own religions with differing moral stances - which says more about the cultures than it does the religion, which is why I think it's f***ing stupid for westerners to want to convert to a belief system with archaic and outdated morals and practices.

Like birth control, sex before marriage and all that

:rolleyes:

Ever heard of an expression that starts with "sauce for the goose ..."?

No idea, mate. I'm sure you're right.

I'll give it ten minutes for the other lad to reply and if not I'll look into the supposed Oxford quote myself.

You're welcome to do the same regarding Cat Stevens' take on it........."sauce for the goose"?

I try normally to have a liberal mindset, however, life under stricter forms of Islam is so unlike that under any other faith. The attitude to women completely astounds me, as strictly speaking they can't do anything outside their own homes without their husband's, brother's or father's permission. That goes right against the liberal mindset prevalent in western countries.

With the exception of a few Hindu sects, I've never seen women so pushed far into the background in any other society. Basically, it seems under strict Islamic law, women don;t have a life and some don't seem to aware of what an open lifestyle with an education to empower them means. They are subservient to their men, little more than a possession, from cradle to grave, based on a text that is 1,400 years old without this even being questioned.

I also have issues with some followers of Islam believing they have moral cultural superiority over all others due to their belief Mohammed was the final word of God with no prophets to follow him. They believe this gives them the right to kill anyone they consider unbelievers if they do not leave supposed Muslim lands upon refusing to pay a tax to local Muslim rulers.

If anyone leaves Islam because they have questioned it, they can also be killed as apostate. Shia Muslims are fair game themselves as extreme Sunni Muslims believe them apostate due to a dispute over the Muslim succession when Mohammed died. This is despite Islam believing everyone is born and dies a Muslim, the latter belief being you have to submit before God when you die.

I could go on as the belief system seems to me completely confusing.

Yes, Christian texts have similarly confusing statements, but at least we've began to question them. I mean when you have a story in the Old Testament about a man offering his daughter up for gang rape to prevent a male traveller facing a similar fate, you have to question it.

EDIT: Male travellers plural and it was Lot offering his daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The media is to blame for hatred against muslims imo.

I'm in my mid 20s. When I was growing up there was one Muslim lad in my year group. I didn't like him based on the fact he used to dish out chocolate from his dad's shop to make friends. I was also suspicious as he was different in appearance and 'vegetarian'. I now know that it was actually because there was never any halal options for him at school.

Until I left sunderland I didn't get to know any Muslims and my narrow minded view had stuck. Eventually I began working with Muslims and got friendly with quite a few. It was then I was able to recognise common ground within normal life.

I'm lucky enough to have been forced into a situation outside of my comfort zone leading me to break out of my narrow state of mind. It seems a lot of people on this board have not.

Once a mind is set in this way then all of the negative media attention only makes matters worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back