Colour photo of young Auschwitz inmate

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it was seeing the children`s toys. The things they went though when they should have been having a carefree upbringing. I still to this day cannot understand how previously intelligent, respectable people could actually believe what they were doing was right.
I suppose it's the pack mentality. As long as everyone else is doing it, it must be ok. Add to this the rapid rise in prestige Nazi officials received compared to the all time low Germany had post WW1 and you have a recipe for disaster.

No desire to visit camps
I can't feel anymore despair at what went on
I don't believe that to be true. Everyone I know who has been has been moved by the experience, with many thinking like you beforehand, me included.

Last edited:

I don't ever want to go anywhere near that awful place . German bastards .

If no one went people would forget the crimes that happened here.

My father in law was a typical Sunlun old school tough guy, shipyard welder etc.. He got half way through a visit to Dachau and left in tears .

Plenty people on here are happy being ruled by them .

When I graduated to my first posh kraut car I went to me ma's to show it off . She wouldn't get in it .

For me it was seeing the children`s toys. The things they went though when they should have been having a carefree upbringing. I still to this day cannot understand how previously intelligent, respectable people could actually believe what they were doing was right.
Huge swathes of the population are either thick as shit or else have a huge willful blind spot when it comes to things like this.

Funny how after the war all the Germans claimed they hated Hitler and Nazis couldn’t be found anywhere. So who were all those people Heil Hitlering at the Nuremberg rallies?

Look at the people who allow themselves to be brain washed by the likes of David Koresh or Jim Jones.

After the war everyone said ‘never again’ but we had genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia etc.

And all them stupid bastards sucked in by Trump. I may be accused of doing a ‘Godwin’ but when I see how so many slavvering idiots are so taken in by him, so completely blind to his obvious and blatant incompetence it makes it easy to see how so many were sucked in by the Nazis and their empty promises of world dominance and prosperity.

I have just this second finished hunting Hitler, what a totally fancinating series it was
I've binge watched in in a few days

I suppose it's the pack mentality. As long as everyone else is doing it, it must be ok. Add to this the rapid rise in prestige Nazi officials received compared to the all time low Germany had post WW1 and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't believe that to be true. Everyone I know who has been has been moved by the experience, with many thinking like you beforehand, me included.
I can't imagine anyone not being moved

Doesn't change my comment

If I was sitting hear thinking it was no big deal fair enough but I'm not

I think it's because black and white make it seem like it wasn't part of our personal history and it was such a long time ago feelings and emotions fade whereas in colour it's almost modern and you can see it in actual time if that makes sense.
Aye, you're probably right mate, I'm sure younger generations aren't used to B&W photos the way people that grew up with them are, I know lots of younger people wont watch B&W films despite the fact that a lot of them are brilliant.

Was there last month, was absolutely baltic, I am dressed head to toe in all kinds of modern shite to keep me warm.

Them poor buggers had pyjamas. I was embarrassed to shiver.

It is a chastening experience and whilst I am not waking in the night with nightmares my visit will never leave me. Which is the way it should be really.

I've been to Auschwitz-Birkenau twice and ive also been to Dachau & Sachsenhausen.

The first time I went to Auschwitz I did a bit research to prepare myself for what I was going to see. Everything was going as good as it could until I went into the room dedicated to the 30+ thousand French children that were murdered there. All bets were off after that. Horrendous!.

Dachau & Sachsenhausen are both worth visiting but are pretty tame compared to Auschwitz-Birkenau.

I've been to Auschwitz-Birkenau twice and ive also been to Dachau & Sachsenhausen.

The first time I went to Auschwitz I did a bit research to prepare myself for what I was going to see. Everything was going as good as it could until I went into the room dedicated to the 30+ thousand French children that were murdered there. All bets were off after that. Horrendous!.

Dachau & Sachsenhausen are both worth visiting but are pretty tame compared to Auschwitz-Birkenau.
Dachau had a bigger impact on me, to be honest. However, it was the first camp I visited, so that might have had something to do with it.

Dachau had a bigger impact on me, to be honest. However, it was the first camp I visited, so that might have had something to do with it.

I’ve only been to Dachau. As chastening as the experience was, long before Schindler’s List I remember as a kid seeing the episode about the holocaust in The World At War which ‘prepared’ me (as much as it’s possible to be prepared) in some way for what was to come. I was inter-railing and at the time travelling with a bunch of Americans who hadn’t had that kind of historical exposure and they were understandably destroyed.

Like the colouring of old film footage it adds a sobering realism.When you are young and see Black and white stuff its like from another world,you can detatch a bit from it.Auschwitz with beautiful blue skys for example has a different effect to Black and white .Not saying you don't care because its black and white

Some of the the old American Civil War pictures in colour do truly bring the people to life. I was looking at some yesterday on Youtube, really does give a different perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back