Colour photo of young Auschwitz inmate

:confused: why is it anymore heartbreaking because it's in colour?

It’s already a heartbreaking picture, but colourising the photo brings it to life and makes it seem more real and more “now”.

Black and white pictures can create a “time barrier” between you and the subject of the photo. People care a bit less about things that feel like they were from another era.

When you look at the black and white photos of the war era, they feel old and it feels like the people are somehow different from us. A different time, a different place.

In the colourised photo it looks like the girl is right there, right now. It could be any little girl you see on the street today.

That’s the power behind what the artist has done. Colour is a powerful emotive tool, that’s why filmmakers and photographers use it. Example being in Schindler’s list which is black and white until the little girl in red appears.

Wow didn’t think it would make that much difference, it seems to hit home more and cant understand why cause it’s still the same photo.
Maybe we associate real life with colour and have been fed so many images in black and white this now stands out.
Some great work by the person who does this mind.

Got to admit, the picture is equally harrowing in colour or black and white. I don't think colourising it makes it any more impactful for me. When I visited Auschwitz the corridors of victims was what hit me the most powerfully.

Like the colouring of old film footage it adds a sobering realism.When you are young and see Black and white stuff its like from another world,you can detatch a bit from it.Auschwitz with beautiful blue skys for example has a different effect to Black and white .Not saying you don't care because its black and white
I'm not sure about colourising old video footage. It never seems fully accurate to me, something looks off, and as such, I think know it adds a sense of artificiality to it, if you know what I mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
The colour pictures make the people seem more human to me, black and white creates some separation somehow, like I'm looking at history rather than people.

Shit explanation soz.

That's how I think of it.

I can feel the pain in her facial expression more in the colour picture than the black and white one too.

Sorry got to disagree, or disagree up to a point. Pictures of the entrance and the Arbeit Macht Frei gates never seem as bleak and threatening when i`ve seen them in colour

Architecture does tend to look more menacing in black and white.

To me, the thing with these photographs is the colourist hasn't gone over the top. She hasn't made them look like they were taken yesterday on a phone. There still seems to be the distance of time, but the humanity of the girl has been brought closer.

Architecture does tend to look more menacing in black and white.

To me, the thing with these photographs is the colourist hasn't gone over the top. She hasn't made them look like they were taken yesterday on a phone. There still seems to be the distance of time, but the humanity of the girl has been brought closer.
In fairness they are very well done. Sometimes though "colouring" a black and white can give an almost cartoony effect

Last edited:
Went in Feb and the corridor you walk down with all the images of who were there is terrifying. One side is women and kids and the other side is men. Truly heartbreaking, even more so when you see the ages and the jobs they all had.

It was the locks and platts of little kids hair that had been cut off, and on display behind glass. The piles of shoes, and suitcases with Jewish names on them,that had been packed, not knowing what their fate would be, that did it for me. I'm a grown man, and was in bits.

Back