Colour photo of young Auschwitz inmate

Heartbreaking stuff.

An artist coloured in a photo of an Auschwitz victim and it's heartbreaking - BBC Three

Czesława Kwoka was 14 years old when she was deported to Auschwitz.

The Polish teenager arrived at the concentration camp on 13 December 1942 where she was given a serial number, beaten by Nazi prison guards and photographed. Three months later she was killed. The only lasting trace of her brief existence is her black and white registration photo.

:confused: why is it anymore heartbreaking because it's in colour?
Don’t be an arse.

The thread included an image by the Brazilian digital artist Marina Amaral, 23, who has painstakingly coloured Czesława's photograph in order to change the way we look at victims of the Holocaust.

“It is much easier to relate to people once we see them in colour. Holocaust victims had dreams, family, friends and they had it all taken from them,” Marina says.

Don’t be an arse.

The thread included an image by the Brazilian digital artist Marina Amaral, 23, who has painstakingly coloured Czesława's photograph in order to change the way we look at victims of the Holocaust.

“It is much easier to relate to people once we see them in colour. Holocaust victims had dreams, family, friends and they had it all taken from them,” Marina says.
I'm not, I thought it was heartbreaking in black and white, didn't see the point of the comment that's all.

I'm not, I thought it was heartbreaking in black and white, didn't see the point of the comment that's all.
Of course it is, in colour and not in colour, but personally I think that it certainly offers a more vivid and natural view of her situation.

The colour pictures make the people seem more human to me, black and white creates some separation somehow, like I'm looking at history rather than people.

Shit explanation soz.
No that makes sense to me.

Like the colouring of old film footage it adds a sobering realism.When you are young and see Black and white stuff its like from another world,you can detatch a bit from it.Auschwitz with beautiful blue skys for example has a different effect to Black and white .Not saying you don't care because its black and white

I think it's because black and white make it seem like it wasn't part of our personal history and it was such a long time ago feelings and emotions fade whereas in colour it's almost modern and you can see it in actual time if that makes sense.

Good explanation.

They were some coloured photos done from around the American Civil War and they were brilliant. John Wilkes Booth looked like it was a modern photo.

There are some excellent Safc photos which look superb and more ‘real’ in colour

Heartbreaking stuff.

An artist coloured in a photo of an Auschwitz victim and it's heartbreaking - BBC Three

Czesława Kwoka was 14 years old when she was deported to Auschwitz.

The Polish teenager arrived at the concentration camp on 13 December 1942 where she was given a serial number, beaten by Nazi prison guards and photographed. Three months later she was killed. The only lasting trace of her brief existence is her black and white registration photo.
And there are still arseholes out there arguing that these atrocities didn’t happen :evil:

Back