Coldest match

Remember playing Portsmouth on boxing Day in 04, the day of the tsunami in Asia. Lost 1-0 in a drab game but comfortably the coldest I've ever been.

Remember we had a Friday night game up at Leicester too, in about 08. I lost a bet over a game of pool, and the loser had to wear just a pair of shorts and some trainers for the duration of the match - the temperature a balmy -6!
Lucky lots of alcohol kept me warm, although I was shown on Sky complaining that it was "f***ing freezing" 😂 lost 1-0 to a 90th minute Barry Hales shin

Sunderland 1 Southampton 0 Roker Park New Years Day 1991. Shearer wallace Le Tissier up front for them. Ball pen won the game. Th wind off the sea blew the nest to bulging status for the entire 90 mins/ It was relentless.

At home it’ll either be the Blackburn 0-0 where their player missed an open goal. It was probably colder because the match was f***ing boring.
Or
Man Utd when we won 2-1 under BSA. It was hailstone just before the match and I had a seat on the very front row and there was a huge leak in the roof that was perfectly lined up for me.

away has to be West Brom in the last season of the PL. it was so f***ing cold, it’s the only match I’ve ever left early

1. Wimbledon away FA Cup 1986/87 absolutely freezing. We were holding on for what would've been a shock win (they were in First Division, we got relegated from Second Division that season).

Anyway they scored in the 89th and 90th minute. Typical Sunderland eh.

2. Sunderland v Arsenal at Roker 1996/97 season, really cold there. I was pleased it was really cold that day as I had an idea the Arsenal players wouldn't be up for it, I was right. We won 1-0, Tony Adams own goal.

3. Sunderland v Stockport at SOL, 1997/98 season. I flew up from Heathrow for this one, was fine leaving Heathrow but I remember being shocked at the amount of snow at the SOL. The undersoil hearing didn't come on and Reid apparently went ballistic and the groundsman and told him he was sacked if we lost. Nicky Summerbee saved the groundsman's job as we won 1-0.

I wonder if we have the coldest ground in the English football league?

We’re in the North of the country and we’re on the coast. Maybe the Pennines clubs like Rochdale and Oldham might have a stronger claim?

I often think the Stadium of Light is colder than the city centre for some reason.
Nah,being on the coast keeps us warm believe it or not. Somewhere like Reading or Oxford would be colder in mid winter.
Coldest I have ever felt was at Rotherham in the FA Cup about 15 years ago. It wasn't the coldest temperature ever but I was sat on the end of a row at the back next to an exit doorway. It was blowing a hooley and fuck knows what the wind chill factor must have been but I had to be defrosted in the microwave when I got home.

Last edited:
Norway v Scotland played in Molde several yrs ago never got above -10 all day.- 22 when we landed in zackistan last march.Think temperature was about the same match day ,

Coldness due to rain was Tranmere away in 93ish, lost 4-1.
Aye, I had Beijing Flu (mild cold) and stood in that open end in the pissing rain with no coat. I remind the lads of the uber dedication I displayed that day a lot.
Started horizontally hailstoning reet at the final whistle. All you could hear walking back over Wearmouth Bridge was people saying "aye-ya!" 😂
:lol: The bridge was torture, pleased I had a hood. my mate didn't. We headed straight for the Tipsy Cow, it was shut. Ended up in The Fire Station, it was full of revellers in their best gear we were a soggy frozen shambles.
Luton away in the late 70's. Donkey Jackets were going out of fashion, Pods, jeans,T shirt and Harrington were the new match day dress code. It was Baltic.

Last edited:
Was that not the game when Dickie Ord got the winner and ran the full length of the pitch in celebration? January 24th 1996. Freezing.
May well have been, just looked that game up and only about 14,000 there so could be it as I know the crowd was low. I actually thought as low as 11,000 but maybe not.

Hideously cold that night but Preston game at the SoL tops the lot during the beast from the east, never known cold like that. Honourable mention for a midweek game at Hull in the 1980's, sure Windass scored the winner (1-0). We were huddled together together like Emporer Penguins behind the goal in the supermarket end.

We bailed out with 20 minutes to go. Coldest game I can remember.

1. Wimbledon away FA Cup 1986/87 absolutely freezing. We were holding on for what would've been a shock win (they were in First Division, we got relegated from Second Division that season).

Anyway they scored in the 89th and 90th minute. Typical Sunderland eh.

2. Sunderland v Arsenal at Roker 1996/97 season, really cold there. I was pleased it was really cold that day as I had an idea the Arsenal players wouldn't be up for it, I was right. We won 1-0, Tony Adams own goal.

3. Sunderland v Stockport at SOL, 1997/98 season. I flew up from Heathrow for this one, was fine leaving Heathrow but I remember being shocked at the amount of snow at the SOL. The undersoil hearing didn't come on and Reid apparently went ballistic and the groundsman and told him he was sacked if we lost. Nicky Summerbee saved the groundsman's job as we won 1-0.

2. we had played them away in the cup the previous week

I don’t think it was that cold for everyone but we were right at the back of the clock end and there was a gap in the roof and the snow was blowing in through the wind tunnel it created

drew one all but lost the replay

Oldham away, midweek match, circa 1995. Kevin Ball got the winner in the last 5 minutes. f***ing hell, the cold was intense that night.

That is probably the one I remember. It was certainly Oldham away, midweek anyway. I hadn't a clue which year or competition it was but it was COLD.

One of the Huddersfield away matches when it was snowing (at their old ground) wasn't far behind. A small crowd and we were all huddled together which made it look even smaller, and it was blowing a gale so people kept moving from the side where the wind was coming from and the whole crowd gradually drifted across the stand!

Last edited:

Back