Coldest match

A game so cold that when I accidentally scalded myself with Bovril, it actually provided relief.

I can't believe this. Our Bovril is lukewarm at best.

Oldham away is definitely my vote. Went there in the third round of the cup in January in the early 90's when they were still in the PL. The sand all over their pitch had ice on it in places! Horrible ground right on top of a hill on the edge of Saddleworth moor.

Stupidly went to Eastlands in November for a Monday night game with just a jumper on, no shirt underneath or coat over the top. It was the game we lost 1-0, Stephen Ireland scored and to make things worse, when I got dropped off by the bus I couldn't get a taxi and had to walk 45 minutes home at 1am. My nipples were pretty much bleeding.

Been a lot of contenders. But for me has to be a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace at Roker. 1993/94 I think, Brian Atkinson scored the goal. Was a night game.

Anyone else remember this game?

Last edited:
Not coldest but I got soaked by thwle wet snow storm in 2006 for the Sunderland Vs fulham match. Think it was called off after one of our players ran into another breaking his nose in the low visibility. McBride i think put them ahead and we won the replay.

Coldest was probs Blackburn away, we travelled all the way down to be told the pitch was too frozen to play on was cancelled, we had to go straight back home. Can't remember the year now but I'm sure someone will.

Not coldest but I got soaked by thwle wet snow storm in 2006 for the Sunderland Vs fulham match. Think it was called off after one of our players ran into another breaking his nose in the low visibility. McBride i think put them ahead and we won the replay.

Coldest was probs Blackburn away, we travelled all the way down to be told the pitch was too frozen to play on was cancelled, we had to go straight back home. Can't remember the year now but I'm sure someone will.
Think it was December 2005? We were staying at my brother’s near Clitheroe. Went for a few drinks, just about to set off for the match when we heard it was off so carried on drinking.

Everton at Roker in the FA Cup late 70s
I remember that game. A night match and it was freezing. I rode to the match on my motorbike with my tracksuit on under my trousers. I think we won 2-0.

Oxford Away between Xmas and New Year late '90's. End seat, against the wind of a temporary uncovered stand with a savage hangover - my teeth are still chattering

Southend at roker park, one of our annual beatings by them. Not sure if it was actually the coldest but I remember it being horrendous in the Fulwell

20th November 1993.....2-0 defeat ?

I was in the Roker End, standing in a couple of inches of snow by the end of the game. That's the coldest I've ever been, and I paid for the privilege 🤪

Back