Coffee shops in Sunderland

great little cafe , think the owner maybe polish ? would do really well if was located closer to town , old substance bar on the roundabout , that keeps changing hands, springs to mind

Ran by a Polish couple Ariel is always friendly and his wife makes the cakes which are quality.

It seems to be doing well considering its a bit off the beaten track I agree it would do even better if it was where Unique bar is which was Harvey's late night restaurant back in the day.

@Horley Chorley

Been in Patticake Patisserie earlier as fantastic as ever both the staff and the baniffie cheesecake were quality.
Hello mate.
I've not been in there for some time.
I used to call in on a matchday while waiting for the Ivy House to open at noon, but my mates now get off the train and head to Chaplin's, before heading across to the Pissed Pooch, and then onto the New Railway Club.

I'm looking to give cafe 1851 on High St West, a try, sometime soon.
Is it any good for you know ?

Hello mate.
I've not been in there for some time.
I used to call in on a matchday while waiting for the Ivy House to open at noon, but my mates now get off the train and head to Chaplin's, before heading across to the Pissed Pooch, and then onto the New Railway Club.

I'm looking to give cafe 1851 on High St West, a try, sometime soon.
Is it any good for you know ?

1851 is a cracking bar in Mackies Corner area.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com › business › see-inside-cafe-1851-as-it-opens-its-doors-in...

See inside Cafe 1851 as it opens its doors in ... - Sunderland Echo

Cafe 1851 is the latest in a swathe of new openings in this corner of the city centre, which, as well as Mackie’s Corner, includes Spent Grain, Undisclosed, Coffee Haus and more – and Harry...

Which match is Eamonn over for?

1851 is a cracking bar in Mackies Corner area.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com › business › see-inside-cafe-1851-as-it-opens-its-doors-in...

See inside Cafe 1851 as it opens its doors in ... - Sunderland Echo

Cafe 1851 is the latest in a swathe of new openings in this corner of the city centre, which, as well as Mackie’s Corner, includes Spent Grain, Undisclosed, Coffee Haus and more – and Harry...

Which match is Eamonn over for?
Cheers T.
I'll call in one of these days, though I'm not sure if I'll be at the match on Saturday.

Eamo's over for the Leeds home game.

My two favourites would be Paticake Patisserie in Thornhill Cres. lovely staff coffee and quality cakes and Coffee 57 High Street West opposite Primark friendly staff top coffee and the legendary Mullers pink slice available.

I'm sure people on here have got many other coffee shops that they like.

@Horley Chorley

I've seen paticake patisserie near St Aidans school I will have to try it.

Had a coffee in Otto the other day, really nice and the sandwiches are lovely. They are a bit different, like the ones in pop recs. Proper tasty

Only gripe, and this is not exclusive to Otto, is why do they have to play blasting music in a small coffee shop during the day, when there's one person in (me) trying to read my book in the corner? Loads of places do it.

Or you go in a pub and they've got the TV blasting.

Total lack of awareness

Had a coffee in Otto the other day, really nice and the sandwiches are lovely. They are a bit different, like the ones in pop recs. Proper tasty

Only gripe, and this is not exclusive to Otto, is why do they have to play blasting music in a small coffee shop during the day, when there's one person in (me) trying to read my book in the corner? Loads of places do it.

Or you go in a pub and they've got the TV blasting.

Total lack of awareness

I've been meaning to try Otto.

Cheers T.
I'll call in one of these days, though I'm not sure if I'll be at the match on Saturday.

Eamo's over for the Leeds home game.
Is there more than one eating place inside. I thought it was just the news suit shop I never knew it had a cafe.
You'll not be disappointed its quality.

Not far from St Aidan's but closer to St Anthony's and the Ivy House.
I know exactly where this is and yes it's really nice, I was thinking of another one near St Aidans and can't remember the name.

Last edited:
Is there more than one eating place inside. I thought it was just the news suit shop I never knew it had a cafe.

I know exactly where this is and yes it's really nice, I was thinking of another one near St Aidans and can't remember the name.

The Front Parlour Grange Terrace?

Back