Clough - Nobody Ever Says Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
As @OLDROKERENDER mentions, October 1978, after Adamson left for Leeds, was the time when Clough was most strongly linked with SAFC. There was a period of about 2 weeks when there seemed to be a glimmer of hope that it just might happen.

Clough was everyone’s first choice at the time:

Chants of "Brian Clough’s Red’n’White Army" at Oldham (IIRC the first game after Adamson's departure).

The club publicly confirming that they had made an approach to Forest.

The club encouraging fans to attend the home game with Stoke the next week to show how big the club was to encourage Clough to come.

Chants of "We all want Brian Clough" (to the tune of 'We're going down the pub' from Sham 69's Hurry Up Harry which was in the charts at the time) at the Stoke game.

And, of course, SCRATCH. Although I must admit I wasn't really sure what they were actually for - or did - at the time. Was anyone on here part of SCRATCH?

Can't remember if Adamson was sacked or resigned, but I was at Oldham that day.
Me and me mate made a schoolboy banner out of an old bedsheet.

It said "Nice one Jimmy"
Neebody had a fecking clue what it meant.
I do remember when Adamson took the job he said in the Echo"Sunderland will have a team to be proud of in 5 years time"
I said to me dad "Dad, in 5 years time we will have a team to be proud of"
Me dad said " I've been hearing that since the 1950s when I was growing up."

I was going to ask on here "Does that sound familiar?"
But we don't even hear that anymore.

I posted this last year -
Someone I knew years ago was at a sportsmans dinner where Cloughie was the guest speaker. During the meal the conversation got around to McMenemy who wasn't doing so well at Sunderland. Cloughie said McMenemy had rang him for advice before he took the job. "I told him not to take it" said Clough, "I told him the job was too big for him". Someone at the table asked "Is it too big a job for you, Mr Clough?". Cloughie finished what he was eating, put his knife and fork on the plate, had a drink of wine, sat back in his chair, turned to look the guy in the face and answered "Yes. I'm the best manager in the world and that job is too big for me now. It's the biggest job in football and it will take a nobody to make Sunderland great again, a manager that no one expects anything from".

Long before his infamous 44 days in charge at Elland Road had come to an end, Clough had come to realise as much as Leeds United were the wrong club in the right place, that Brighton and Hove Albion were just as conversely the right club in the wrong place. He perhaps came to simultaneously regret both joining and leaving the Goldstone Ground club in varying degrees.

When he left Brighton he walked away from not only his footballing soul mate in Peter Taylor, but also Mike Bamber, the man Clough classed as the best chairman he ever worked for. Clough would forever believe that he could have achieved all he did with Nottingham Forest at Brighton and Hove Albion instead.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...r-park-manager-is-wearside-s-choice-1-5742024

Long before his infamous 44 days in charge at Elland Road had come to an end, Clough had come to realise as much as Leeds United were the wrong club in the right place, that Brighton and Hove Albion were just as conversely the right club in the wrong place. He perhaps came to simultaneously regret both joining and leaving the Goldstone Ground club in varying degrees.

When he left Brighton he walked away from not only his footballing soul mate in Peter Taylor, but also Mike Bamber, the man Clough classed as the best chairman he ever worked for. Clough would forever believe that he could have achieved all he did with Nottingham Forest at Brighton and Hove Albion instead.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...r-park-manager-is-wearside-s-choice-1-5742024
Great article that. Spooky that I live in Arbroath Road, same as 1st fan, and my Uncle lives in Witton Court, same as fan 2:-O

Can't remember if Adamson was sacked or resigned, but I was at Oldham that day.
Me and me mate made a schoolboy banner out of an old bedsheet.

It said "Nice one Jimmy"
Neebody had a fecking clue what it meant.
I do remember when Adamson took the job he said in the Echo"Sunderland will have a team to be proud of in 5 years time"
I said to me dad "Dad, in 5 years time we will have a team to be proud of"
Me dad said " I've been hearing that since the 1950s when I was growing up."

I was going to ask on here "Does that sound familiar?"
But we don't even hear that anymore.

Left us for Leeds Utd

Dunno about that but he was a loveable character who somehow made average players World Beaters. How did he do it ?

Well he had Peter Taylor to look after the football and he himself did the bullshit. As soon as Taylor left him he failed.

Well he had Peter Taylor to look after the football and he himself did the bullshit. As soon as Taylor left him he failed.
Did he? Got Forest as high as third after Taylor left and won the league cup twice in an era where the big clubs still went for that trophy.

When you also throw into the mix the bloke was a raging alcoholic by then it's fair to say its staggering they done as well as they did
Plus during that period clubs like Tottenham, Everton and Liverpool were paying fees and wages well beyond the reach of a club like Forest - Barnes, Linekar, Gazza, etc

Nigel Jemson had rang him to say he'd be at Forest tomorrow with his agent to discuss his move. "You're not bringing a f***ing agent to see me, Son. Come down with your Dad or your Mam but you're not bringing a f***ing agent if you want to play for me". The next day Jemson turned up with his dad and sorted the deal. On the way out Cloughie told Jemson Snr "make sure he gets a haircut before he comes to work tomorrow".
The next day Jemson came into training with short hair:lol:

When I was a young un, I waited behind at Roker to get his autograph, after we'd played Forest. Despite them losing, he kept the coach back a good hour, whilst he chatted to everyone outside and let every bairn on the coach, instructing his players to sign everything.
When I'd met them all, I got to him and he asked my name saying "you need need a haircut son" even though I'd just got it dead short a couple of days before and instructed me to always be good to my mam. He then signed my book, "to Mark, be good, Brian Clough". Its framed in my front room these days.

Last edited:
S

Supposedly in one of the books I read a young kid with his dad before the game come up to Clough and politely asked Mr Clough please could I have your autograph. Clough asked if he was going to the game and he said they couldn't afford it. Clough was taken back by how polite and well mannered the kid was he gave tickets to the lad and his dad.....love football stories like this.

Could share many true stories I shared with Andy King the ex Everton player when Manager at Swindon. Became a friend. What a lovely bloke to me and miss him.
RIP Kings.
Bill Shankley would always give free tickets to the poor kiddies...

2 European Cups stands up in any era. Like Paisley his achievements arent recognised enough imo. Forest are the only club whove won the European Cup more than their domestic league.
He probably would have won another at Derby if the Italians hadnt been up to their usual tricks with referees.
Actually think the manager who does not get anywhere near enough credit is Jock Stein - first Brit to win European Cup with Celtic, nine in a row, beat the mighty Leeds to get to a second Euro final (lost through complacency). He even got Scotland to a major tournament finals!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back